Alfine hub/rear wheel advice please...

bikesr4riding
bikesr4riding Posts: 53
edited January 2010 in The workshop
Hi there. I've recently become the happy owner of a Cannondale Bad Boy 8 which has a Shimano alfine rear geared hub. It all works beatifully at the moment.

My question relates to the removal of the rear wheel and dis-engagement of the hub gear cable. How does the cable release from the hub so that the wheel can be completely removed?

I know this sounds like a stupid question, but there must be an easy and quick way of doing it without using tools, right?

I'm concsious that come the time to repair a *P* I'm more than likely going to have to remove the wheel, although I've figured out a way of slipping the inner tube through without having to do so. Nonetheless, I'd like to know.

Your help and advice is appreciated!
My training blog, videos and other bike related stuff,
www.bikesr4riding.com -- Twitter Feed

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • pemsey
    pemsey Posts: 107
    Change to 1st gear on the shifter.

If you don't mind getting your hands dirty twist the grey plastic changer unit (the thing with the window in it on the hub!) towards the front of the bike (anti-clockwise)- this releases tension on the cable so you can then rotate the fixing nut to "unloop" it.

If you don't like getting your hands too dirty, Shimano helpfully provide a small hole in the grey plastic collar that will take a 2mm allen key - this gives a bit more purchase when rotating the unit.

Refitting is basically the reverse, remembering to check/adjust alignment of the two yellow index marks in 4th gear.
  • jeepie
    jeepie Posts: 497
    Once you've got the gear shifter cable out, spin the pedal forward and push the chain towards the bottom bracket to get the chain off. I struggled with getting the chain off (in addition to the gear cable) as the SS chain tension is very tight. Then you can pull out the back well. Also be careful not to unlock the Alfine lock ring which keeps the nuts and stuff in place.
  • nicklouse, pemsey, and jeepie. Many thanks for your very helpful advice.

I suspected it wasn't too difficult, but with anything new I've grown a little more cautious as I've tended to steam in. You know, buy the gadget and play with it without reading the instructions.

Many thanks
    Paul
    My training blog, videos and other bike related stuff,
    www.bikesr4riding.com -- Twitter Feed
  • Belted thanks from me as well. I'm another hub newbie a bit leery about fiddling with stuff I've not seen before.

I've got an Alfine hub on a Cannondale Street Ultra and the manual is non bike specific, makes no mention of the Alfine hub and is a p*ss poor effort from Cannondale when I've spent over a grand on the bike.

as for changing a *P*: necessity means I've done it a couple of times now without needing to remove the wheel completely. (I'm sure OP's way is identical or much the same as this) :-

- Pop the tyre off the rim on the non chain side and extract the dead tube (or find the P'd bit if you're fixing it roadside).

- Undo the axle nuts, lift the wheel out of the dropouts by a couple of inches, and remove the old tube through the gap.

- put the new tube through the same gap and then put the wheel back into the dropouts and tighten the axle nuts.

- now re-fit the tube into the tyre and seat the tyre back onto the rim

- pump it up and go.

the whole process takes a couple of minutes, it is cleaner and as easy if not easier than doing it with the wheel totally off. I even put my knobbly snow tyre on this way.
  • I was worried about removing the shift cable from my Alfine hub (on a Giant Sub Zero R) until someone directed me to a short video showing how it's done:

http://www.civiacycles.com/civiaMedia/civiaTech.php

The "Alfine Shift Cable Removal" is the one to watch.