Newby....advice please

beerok
beerok Posts: 3
edited January 2010 in MTB beginners
Hi all,

I'm new to MTB and i'm looking for a starter bike.

My friend has just offered my his 2006 Trek 4300 for £100.

He has hardly used it and says it was £350 new so sounds like a bargain.

Write ups seem good, but can you tell me anymore?

thanks

Colin

Comments

• Looks like a pretty nice wee bike for £100. As long as it is hardly used then you might as well.

£100 for a bit of fun sounds like a bargain.
  • missmarple
    missmarple Posts: 1,980
    beerok wrote:
    Hi all,

I'm new to MTB and i'm looking for a starter bike.

My friend has just offered my his 2006 Trek 4300 for £100.

He has hardly used it and says it was £350 new so sounds like a bargain.

Write ups seem good, but can you tell me anymore?

thanks

Colin

Sounds like a solid starter bike for faffing around on now and again, plus for £100 you can't complain.

You may want to give it a clean up once you've got it and to ensure the durability of components such as the transmission; I'd use Fenwicks FS-1, which when diluted can make 10 litres out of 1 litre.

Hope this helps, if you have any problems, queries or general wonderings - don't be afraid to post; we won't bite. :twisted:
  • llamafarmer
    llamafarmer Posts: 1,893
    You might be able to haggle him down a bit, it's now 4 years old and you'll be saving him all the hassle of selling elsewhere (and fees if he uses ebay). But it sounds like a good deal to me.
  • beerok
    beerok Posts: 3
    Thanks for your replies.

I went and got the bike this afternoon.
    Its fantastic!! Like new is an understatement! Its chrome coloured, lightweight. tyres like new. Brakes work great and gear changing smooth and very quiet ( no unusual clunks and rattles).

Really really happy!!
  • llamafarmer
    llamafarmer Posts: 1,893
    Nice one! A proper entry level mountain bike for £100 is a steal. It'll serve you well for ages or if you really get the bug and want to buy something new in a year or so you can probably get most of that money back selling it on.

Enjoy it! :D