snow

bigricky
bigricky Posts: 92
anyone actually getting any miles in of late? so much for my base level fitness for next season! :x

Comments

• Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Yes.

In the garage.
  • LOL @ napolean! how long you sit on your turbo then? i can only last a hour!
  • Anonymous
    edited January 2010
    Turbo?!?

No, my friend, I just get MrsNapd to move her cars -

5147nx3.jpg
  • chrisw12
    chrisw12 Posts: 1,246
    Miles have dropped ctl has dropped, even when I go out on the mtb to get some time in, it ends up being a get off and walk too much session. I've done some very good work with some very high intensity on the turbo so I'm not overly worried though.

But all this makes me laugh at those people who take November or December off just because of some strange tradition. Also makes me laugh at the get the miles in the winter brigade. Our seasons are just too unpredictable to have these philosophies. Sorry rant over.
  • Anonymous
    My CTL has been dropping recently despite some real beastings in the garage. Very frustrating!
  • how often you on your turbo? what sort racing you doing next year?
  • Anonymous
    Every day bar maybe one or two a week at the mo.

Mainly riding Crits and TTs...

No chance with the longer rides as I've not done rides that length steady let alone with gusto!!
  • stevewj
    stevewj Posts: 227
    190 miles on the road last week plus 30 on turbo or rollers when it was too grotty. Rode to work and back today then 40 mins on rollers. Looks too bad to go out tomorrow so try to force myself to do an hour am and pm on the rollers. Can't afford to drop off if I want to improve my 10 and 25 mile times by what I want.
  • Anonymous
    stevewj wrote:
    190 miles on the road last week plus 30 on turbo or rollers when it was too grotty. Rode to work and back today then 40 mins on rollers. Looks too bad to go out tomorrow so try to force myself to do an hour am and pm on the rollers. Can't afford to drop off if I want to improve my 10 and 25 mile times by what I want.

Can barely stand up round our way at the mo. The one day I could I went out for a run...
  • chrisw12
    bigricky wrote:
    how often you on your turbo? what sort racing you doing next year?

My big aim every year is the Welsh 12hr but I've failed to get to the start line for the last two years because the long rides I have to do, do my head (and back) in. Hopefully with this event being much earlier in the season and the weather luckily forcing me to train properly, I may get to the start line. :?
  • SBezza
    SBezza Posts: 2,173
    170 miles on the road so far this year, only done about 20 on the turbo. Been icy around here, but I just use the CX bike with CX tyres on, fairly stable and no incidents as yet.

If it was to icy for my CX bike, I would just do the miles on the turbo, boring as hell, but needs must.
  • Bronzie
    Bronzie Posts: 4,927
    Trying to hit 650TSS this week - managed 86 so far :lol: - looks like some 3x20's on the turbo and a MTB batterfest may be in order for the rest of the week :twisted:
  • jacster
    jacster Posts: 177
    chrisw12 wrote:

But all this makes me laugh at those people who take November or December off just because of some strange tradition. Also makes me laugh at the get the miles in the winter brigade. Our seasons are just too unpredictable to have these philosophies. Sorry rant over.

Maybe people take November or December off for a total break from cycling? To do something different. Re-charge the batteries or rediscover motivation. Give the body a break.
    You might get to the start line of the 12hr if you had a break? :?
  • smithy1.0
    smithy1.0 Posts: 439
    Haven't managed to get out all days so just turbo sessions on the days I can't. The days I have managed, it's been MTB only because the surface is either too snowy or too slippy for road wheels. Quite good fun, actually. Doesn't bother me too much, will only increase the motivation for whacking out the road miles when the weather clears!
  • Anonymous
    Bronzie wrote:
    Trying to hit 650TSS this week - managed 86 so far :lol: - looks like some 3x20's on the turbo and a MTB batterfest may be in order for the rest of the week :twisted:

I'm supposed to be at around 600 TSS this week, will probably be more like 450-500 if I'm very lucky.

Last week was supposed to be 450 and was 340.
  • chrisw12
    jacster wrote:
    chrisw12 wrote:

Maybe people take November or December off for a total break from cycling? To do something different. Re-charge the batteries or rediscover motivation. Give the body a break.
    You might get to the start line of the 12hr if you had a break? :?

Fair, I knew it seemed like I was contradicting myself.

Truth is, it's a bit more complicated than all that (for me). The burn out comes not because I've trained all year round but more because I get all of August off as a work holiday and it's then very hard to get motivated to train for an event in September, when you've spent a month being Dad of the year. :oops: .

and perhaps that's what I'm trying to say. I don't understand how people can periodise their training and not take into account the weather situations and life situations which can wreck a structured plan.
  • oldwelshman
    oldwelshman Posts: 4,733
    No miles, too cold and too much snow, its only january so dont mind a few weeks off bike.
    It does not take long to get fit so not particularly worried.
    Some guys on here panic if they dont get miles in every week.
    Just as much fun out on the sledge climbing up the dunstable downs!!
    This year I will try not to end up in hospital having knee op following a double sommersault off the sledge !!
  • JimmyK
    JimmyK Posts: 712
    walking home from work tonight i slipped right on my butt in front of kids playing ..... :oops:
  • Anonymous
    JimmyK wrote:
    walking home from work tonight i slipped right on my butt in front of kids playing ..... :oops:

I hoped they pointed, laughed, then threw snowballs at you!
  • terongi
    terongi Posts: 318
    chrisw12 wrote:

At least you get to do a lot of laughing. That's probably quite good cardiovascular core strength work by itself
  • Bill D
    Bill D Posts: 62
    Bronzie wrote:

Sorry folks, but what's TSS please?
  • smithy1.0
    smithy1.0 Posts: 439
    Bill D wrote:

Training Stress Score? I think anyway.
  • Anonymous
    Apologies, this went off on a power training tangent!
  • Pokerface
    Pokerface Posts: 7,960
    smithy1.0 wrote:
    Bill D wrote:

Training Stress Score? I think anyway.

Yes - but what does it MEAN and how do you calculate it?
  • Anonymous
    TSS -

WKO+ works it out but there is an equation in the Training and Racing with a powermeter book for you...
  • Pokerface
    NapoleonD wrote:
    TSS -

WKO+ works it out but there is an equation in the Training and Racing with a powermeter book for you...

I really need to finish reading that book!! Like most good books.... I just skipped right to the end.

You need a PHd in Math to work out TSS based on that formula.

And unfortunately WKO+ doesn't seem to work on a MAC.
  • chrisw12
    What it means, is a way of measuring the intensity and time of a ride or I suppose how much 'damage' a training ride will do.

In the good old days people measured their ride, I suppose by how many miles they did or their time spent but neither of these takes into account how hard a ride was, well that's where tss comes in as you get points for how long you ride and how 'ard the ride was.

The standard is set on a hour at time trial pace (the classic 25 mile tt for some of us) this scores you 100 points. If you ride longer or harder you get more points.

That's the basic idea behind it all (I think.) Hope that helps, without the maths. Where would we be without maths though. :lol:
  • Anonymous
    Pokerface wrote:
    NapoleonD wrote:
    TSS -

I really need to finish reading that book!! Like most good books.... I just skipped right to the end.

It's actually quite straightforward!
  • Pokerface
    edited January 2010
    NapoleonD wrote:
    Pokerface wrote:
    NapoleonD wrote:
    TSS -

TSS = (s x W x IF)/(FTP x 3,600)

This formula seems to use Normalized Power (for W). ANother WKO+ invention.
  • Anonymous
    Pokerface wrote:
    NapoleonD wrote:
    TSS -

The basic idea of 'The Book' is that you work on 4 week cycles of increasing TSS. You increase TSS each week for the first 3 weeks then have a rest week, then repeat with each week slightly higher than the equivalent week from the last cycle.
    Then retest. And start again.

If your TSS starts getting really high then your FTP is usually set too low or have just done Race Across America...