2 bolts under down tube - what are they for?

bandeja
bandeja Posts: 30
edited January 2010 in MTB general
I have 2 bolts on the underside of my down tube, they look like the same as the bottle holder bolts. What are they for? Surely not a bottle holder underneath the downtube?

Comments

• Mud guards?
    My Bikes And Me
    A bicycle can't stand alone; it is two tired.
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    maybe or mudguard.

or just for letting in water.

what is the bike?
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • alfablue
    alfablue Posts: 8,497
    Touring bikes generally have 3 bottle cage mounts, one under down tube, useful for extra water or for stove fuel, on an mtb you can mount crud catcher type mudguards (or use it for the above, if you go touring).
  • crud catcher bosses, 99.9% certain. godsend if you use a front catcher/guard.
  • afcbian
    afcbian Posts: 424
    mine has them too, and I think the holes in crud catchers fit them
    I ride therefore I am
  • RichMTB
    RichMTB Posts: 599
    Near the head tube they are crud catcher mounts,

Near the bottom braket they are bottle cage mounts.
    Step in to my hut! - Stumpy Jumpy Pacey
  • either bottle cage mounts or for a crud catcher :lol:
    If you fall off try again !

Trek EX8
    Handsome Dog XC01 with added ebay specials
  • loltoride
    loltoride Posts: 460
    Mudguards
    So Far!
  • grumsta
    grumsta Posts: 994
    I have some on my Pitch that are for cable guides.
  • Belv
    Belv Posts: 866
    That's for the 'ski' attachment - vital in this weather :lol:
  • bandeja
    bandeja Posts: 30
    Its a Specialized stumpjumper ht expert - they are near the bottom - almost at the bottom bracket. Too low for crud catcher anyway.
  • alfablue
    bottle cage then
  • scale20
    scale20 Posts: 1,300
    Hmmm, I wouldn't want to put my gob around a bottle thats hung under there for most of a ride. :lol:
    Niner Air 9 Rigid
    Whyte 129S 29er.
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    Back in the day they were vaguely useful for putting light batteries in, meant you still had 2 usable bottle cages if you were doing 24 solos or sommat.

Bit pointless now really.
  • alfablue
    scale20 wrote:
    Hmmm, I wouldn't want to put my gob around a bottle thats hung under there for most of a ride. :lol:
    Yeah, but if you were on a multi-day wild camping tour type ride you would want the extra water storage - you just decant it. Or you may use it for fuel, as I said.
  • Jay dubbleU
    Jay dubbleU Posts: 3,159
    I've got them on my CX bike - they're too far apart for bottle cages but fit Crudcatchers perfectly
  • My old 03 Big Hit DH had them there aswell, way to low for a mud guard!!! must be a bottle cage.

Bit strange for a DH bike!!! Must be a Specialized thing
    80 x 80 is not enough pixels!!!!

http://www.monzaautomotive.com/

My bikes and a few riding pics http://www.bikeradar.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=12673633
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    Sometimes these bottle mounts are more for old-school bottle-mount batteries for oldfashioned lights- they're sealed so aren't too bothered if they get wet.
    Uncompromising extremist