Cycling with a virus?

flyer
flyer Posts: 608
edited January 2010 in Road beginners
Had a really bad cold and now left with a virus and wheezing and cough, Doctor say he cant give antibiotics as its a virus ibut it could last a few weeks.

I meant to ask hime if it was still ok to cycle, what do you think?

Flyer

Comments

• kingrollo
    kingrollo Posts: 3,198
    Sensible answer is no.

However it depends how you feel - If, as the virus runs its course - you feel ok - I would give it a go. But don't go mad.

When you come in, get out of your cycling gear pronto, hot drink & shower.

Basic principle is do what your body tells you.
  • Headhuunter
    Headhuunter Posts: 6,494
    I agree. Do what your body tells you. If you feel you have the energy then give it a try, but take it slow to start. In the past I have found that exercise/cycling which causes you to beath deeply can help loosen mucus and other crap that's stuck in your lungs. It makes you cough like an expectorant
    Do not write below this line. Office use only.
  • If its in your chest then you shouldnt, apparently.
  • redddraggon
    redddraggon Posts: 10,862
    Foolish
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • I was always taught to obey the neck test: If you feel ill below the neck don't exercise if you want to avoid heart strain. Above, take it easy.
  • I wouldnt. You risk Myocardia which can kill you.... best wait until feel better....
  • oldwelshman
    oldwelshman Posts: 4,733
    The old saying which seems to ring true is if above the neck, can ride but very steady.
    I usually chck resting hr. A pretty good rule is if it is 10 or more above normal resting hr taken before you get up, then dont bother training.
  • Smokin Joe
    Smokin Joe Posts: 2,706
    Definate no.

If something on your bike was worn out or damaged it wouldn't get better by riding it. Your body is the same, and if you are ill you will only make it worse unless you give it the rest it needs to repair itself.

The autopsy on Beryl Burton showed scar tissue on her heart which was thought to have contributed to her death. This was attributed to continuing to train through illness years previously.
  • Velonutter
    Velonutter Posts: 2,437
    Smokin Joe wrote:
    Definate no.

If something on your bike was worn out or damaged it wouldn't get better by riding it. Your body is the same, and if you are ill you will only make it worse unless you give it the rest it needs to repair itself.

The autopsy on Beryl Burton showed scar tissue on her heart which was thought to have contributed to her death. This was attributed to continuing to train through illness years previously.

Interesting that SJ, I always wondered why such a super athlete died at the age of 57 on a training ride?
  • nolf
    nolf Posts: 1,287
    No.
    A desire to ride suggests you're feeling a bit better, but really don't.
    When you're feeling better, get on the turbo in your bottom gear and the easiest setting. Take it very easy. After 30 mins stop and have a shower.

If you feel awful later that day leave it a few more days, if you feel great, next day maybe try something a bit harder.
    "I hold it true, what'er befall;
    I feel it, when I sorrow most;
    'Tis better to have loved and lost;
    Than never to have loved at all."

Alfred Tennyson
  • sampras38
    sampras38 Posts: 1,917
    If its in your chest then you shouldnt, apparently.

I remember an athlete friend of mine telling me once...if the problem is above the neck then ride as long as you feel ok, if it's below the neck don't ride until the illness passes.

• I had the same symptoms as you and thought i felt ok, so i went out on my bike on saturday, only done about 15 miles, didn't feel to bad when i got home, but went out on sunday for an hour and i felt like s*** when i got home, i just kept coughing.