Etape du Dales 2010: what time does entry open?

2»

Comments

• Nickwill wrote:
    Nickwill wrote:
    JamesBwmb wrote:
    Agree with Richyboy about Richmond 5 dales---great value at £15 :) ; £40 is over the top :o ; why are organisers now `donating to charity`?? surely that is an individuals decision and should not be foisted onto entrants of what is in truth a sporting activity entry not a charitable event?? There are other ways of getting entrants to donate, eg a minimum sponsorship achieved? Doing unpaid work for charities / voluntary oragnisations as I have done ?? A few quid to charity as part of entry OK, but not what might be £15+???
    Risk getting shot down in flames on this one though I reckon!!--- :(

I entirely agree with you. It's annoying that as soon as an event reaches a certain status, somebody feels entitled to convert it into a fundrising event.
    The net result is that the "not so wealthy" cyclist as well as the student are put off and it turns into an event for well off posers and "wanna be seen" cyclists like the original Etape is, in essence.
    Boycot is the only sensible answer.

The Etape Du Dales , the Fred Whitton and the Polka Dot were three of the first sportives in Britain. They were all set up originally as, and have always been fund raisers!

No, there is a difference... they were cycling events with a charitable scope and the Polka dot still is, as far as I'm aware (I did it in 2008 for 15 pounds I seem to recall). The other two went the route of charging over the odds infected with the charity bug... cyclists can spend thousands for their bikes, so they can spend 40-50 pounds for an event... that's the rationale.
    Personally I don't spend thousands on my bikes and I don't accept spending 40 pounds for a sportive. I think cyclist = wealthy is a gross generalisation

But nobody makes you do these events. It's your choice. As has been said the Richmond 5 Dales is a fantastic event and wonderful value. The fact remains that for some of us there is sometimes a great deal of satisfaction in riding a large scale event with lots of other cyclists, like the Etape du Dales or the Fred Whitton. If the cost was somehow hidden and we were charged without realising the cost in advance, then that would be a rip off. As it is, as adults, we are free to make our own choices. If I ride the Etape du Dales and by doing so help a young cyclist follow his dream via the Dave Rayner fund, then I am more than happy to do so. If I didn't want to do that, I would choose to ride another of the many cheaper or non charityevents on the calendar.
    It's up to the organisers to decide what they want to charge for an event, and up to the cyclists to decide what they are prepared to pay. No compulsion, no dishonesty, no rip off! It's what is known as a free society.
    ##

No, it's not a free society... it is one where only the wealthy has the choice to do or not to do. The fact that you can choose when you go to the supermarket is great if you can afford to choose, and if they take off the caged chicken from the shelves, this won't make it into a fairer society for those who cannot afford the free range one, remember.
    Anyway, this discussion is getting far too deep not too sound ludicrous referring to a stupid organised ride somewhere in the moors.
    I pass.
    You pass? you took it to this , you called the event a rip off, its not. Best you go sit in a dark room and talk to yourself as you only are the only one on planet Ugo, how you got this to chickens and supermarkets is beyond comprehension!
    i'll ride anything, but I prefer carbon.......... she screamed!!

www.sportivecentral.com
  • pianoman
    pianoman Posts: 706
    No, it's not a free society... it is one where only the wealthy has the choice to do or not to do. The fact that you can choose when you go to the supermarket is great if you can afford to choose, and if they take off the caged chicken from the shelves, this won't make it into a fairer society for those who cannot afford the free range one, remember.
    Anyway, this discussion is getting far too deep not too sound ludicrous referring to a stupid organised ride somewhere in the moors.

But isn't it great that charitable organisations still benefit from something that "the wealthy" have the choice to do? By bringing up the issue of haves and have-nots over £40 going to a worthwhile cause, we're potentially dragging this event into the ugly realms of freeloading (and I have no time for freeloaders btw). And what if there were no "wealthy" to benefit charities? Many such organisations have just had their worst year ever thanks to the recession.
  • pianoman
    And just to support the EdD.........here's a similar event where the fee is similarly up on the average, yet there's no mention of charitable donations anywhere. I wonder where the profit goes to on this event :shock:

http://davelloydmegachallenge.com/default.aspx?id=39
  • I don't do many sportives... 3-4 every year. I have imposed myself a 25 pounds max per event, and I think it is already excessive, but any lower and I'd be left with very little choice.

I've set a maximum to avoid the temptetion of spiralling into nonsense.
    left the forum March 2023
  • pianoman
    Well, try this one, the Lakeland Loop. It's managed by Epic Events who also run triathlon and duathlon. It only costs £17 and parking is now free on the day!

Check it out: http://www.epicevents.org/section.php?xSec=14&xPage=1
  • I don't do many sportives... 3-4 every year. I have imposed myself a 25 pounds max per event, and I think it is already excessive, but any lower and I'd be left with very little choice.

Dear Lord, guess you wear sack cloth and ashes as well, put tacks on your seat when riding the bike to remind you not give in to temptation next time. Planet Ugo must be such a fun place to be!
    Suggest you stick to audax's if cost is an issue, but no doubt you'd find something to moan about there thoughh!

www.sportivecentral.com
  • pianoman
    Suggest you stick to audax's if cost is an issue, but no doubt you'd find something to moan about there thoughh!

HAHA yes the cafe stops can add up to a few bob, don't know that you'll have many people to go for a drink with after the event either :P

If you think sportives are expensive, look at the cost of some triathlons. Yet it won't stop me having a go in the future - and that's even though I'd probably hold my entire lane up in the pool :P
  • APIII
    APIII Posts: 2,010
    I don't do many sportives... 3-4 every year. I have imposed myself a 25 pounds max per event, and I think it is already excessive, but any lower and I'd be left with very little choice.

I don't understand it, you've set a limit of £25, and people who pay more are being ripped off? Why £25? FWIW, I think £40 is a lot, but I don't complain about it, I'll just pass on the event if I don't think it's worth it. Never done the Etape du Dales, but it's clearly a good event.
  • AndyRubio
    AndyRubio Posts: 880
    Among the things you get for your entry to a sportive is rescue if you get a bad problem. I've come unstuck twice and needed assistance from the people with vans. For a namby-pamby nancy boy like me, this is a Good Thing.
  • Mossrider
    Mossrider Posts: 226
    I've entered, but the increased fee did leave a bad taste. Cycling has traditionally been seen as a "cheap" sport and it should continue to be so to encourage breadth. It is galling when the country is in such a financial mess that the price goes up so dramatically. I'm only entering this because a load of my club mates are and it'll be my "big event" of the year. Next year I'll probably target other events such as the Dragon Ride as a result which are far more reasonable. Shame because this will be my 5th EdD.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Must admit Ive never complained about entry fees....but on this occasion with the EdDs I have....for me, I cannot pay £40 on principle....I actually do reckon its a capitalising affair now with some events....and in the past I have contributed to many sportives in terms of raising money for charities, providing goods for the event or offering any useful advice. I do love to ride Sportives but I reckon I've simply came to my own personal threshhold on what I will pay. However if others wish to pay these hefty entry fees then good luck to them, its there money afterall.

Dear Lord, guess you wear sack cloth and ashes as well, put tacks on your seat when riding the bike to remind you not give in to temptation next time. Planet Ugo must be such a fun place to be!

I get the impression you and some others are actually happy when the price goes up. It makes it more valuable and put off the scum like me, doesn't it?
    The organiser is the supreme ruler and set the fee he fancies, the higher the better.
  • APIII
    APIII Posts: 2,010
    I think if I were the organiser of a charity event that sold out on day one last year, I'd put prices up. I mean it's supply and demand isn't it. Not particularly fair on those with less disposable income, but the charity benefits as a result and they'll still be a 1000 or so happy, exhausted cyclists on the day.

I get the impression you and some others are actually happy when the price goes up. It makes it more valuable and put off the scum like me, doesn't it?
    The organiser is the supreme ruler and set the fee he fancies, the higher the better.

Far from Ugo, but all you ever do is complain, you called the event a rip off, it's not NickWill has explained better than I could already why it isn't. If you had said they were taking the proverbial by putting the prices up you would have me on your side, but you are accussing them of decieving us, and they aren't...end of.
    You just seem to have a massive chip on your shoulder as demonstrated by taking the post off into the land of factory farmed chickens and supermarkets, you may not mean to, or you may well do, but you post in a way that is very confrontational.

www.sportivecentral.com

Far from Ugo, but all you ever do is complain, you called the event a rip off, it's not NickWill has explained better than I could already why it isn't. If you had said they were taking the proverbial by putting the prices up you would have me on your side, but you are accussing them of decieving us, and they aren't...end of.
    You just seem to have a massive chip on your shoulder as demonstrated by taking the post off into the land of factory farmed chickens and supermarkets, you may not mean to, or you may well do, but you post in a way that is very confrontational.

Well, I am one of those subversive people who don't like to see our sport become elitarian, that's all.
    As someone pointed out, cycling was by its very roots a working class sport, which has then gone middle class and now it's trying to go upper middle class. Charity is a good thing, but it's something associated with the wealthy, those who can afford to. I feel very sorry to see young people like yourselves accepting all sorts of arrogance as inevitable.
    It is not inevitable. The organisers can continue to charge a fair, reasonable, affordable entry fee or can go the "market way". Personally I stand against the "rules of the market" or the "rules of the wealthy who rules the market" if you prefer... I fight my stupid little battles, but if nobody complained about these stupid little things, there wouldn't be an alternative to the tiranny of the "market".

Confrontational? Maybe, it's probably the only way to spice up a debate and share ideas
  • pianoman
    Well, I for one hanker for the days when decent video games could get released for under £20, doesn't happen these days it's gone up to £50, but once again, the point about supply and demand is valid.

Also, some people who entered the likes of the Lancashire Lanes and the Kenny Hill paid £15 to do that last year - three times the cost of an Audax - and I didn't see any backup vehicles at either event, in fact even the feeding station at the Kenny Hill was a little primitive compared to a cafe. Did I give a damn though? Absolutely not. Marie Curie raised over a grand for a little known event that didn't get much publicity and a great day out was enjoyed for less than the price of a St Helens Rugby ticket (and btw I enjoy going there too) :P

These backup vehicles need petrol to run them you know, do you think they can run on fresh air? If so there'd be an 80% tax on that too :shock:
  • nickwill
    nickwill Posts: 2,735
    You should approve of the Etape du Dales Ugo.
    If , as I understand, you feel that the event will only be populated by the wealthy (more of that later), it is surely a prime example of redistribution of wealth. The bulk of the proceeds will be going to the Dave Rayner fund to support young talented cyclists, who would otherwise struggle to get their continental careers underway for lack of funds.
    As regards your idea of only the wealthy taking part, I should point out that I work 3 evenings a week in a warehouse to supplement the income I get from my main job. Without doing that I couldn't afford to indulge my passion for cycling. I don't smoke, go to the pub, or spend my money on much else at all. If I want to spend my limited spare income on entering well organised events like the Etape du Dales, I will.
    I've contributed to this forum for many years, but am becoming increasingly disillusioned by the negativity that now prevails.
    We should be ecstatic about the growth in all aspects of the sport, rather than constantly harping on about all the things we dislike.
    I'm looking forward to my sportive season, as I'm sure are many others.
    This will be my last post on this thread because I find the negativity of certain posters quite depressing .
  • Nickwill wrote:
    You should approve of the Etape du Dales Ugo.
    If , as I understand, you feel that the event will only be populated by the wealthy (more of that later), it is surely a prime example of redistribution of wealth. The bulk of the proceeds will be going to the Dave Rayner fund to support young talented cyclists, who would otherwise struggle to get their continental careers underway for lack of funds.
    As regards your idea of only the wealthy taking part, I should point out that I work 3 evenings a week in a warehouse to supplement the income I get from my main job. Without doing that I couldn't afford to indulge my passion for cycling. I don't smoke, go to the pub, or spend my money on much else at all. If I want to spend my limited spare income on entering well organised events like the Etape du Dales, I will.
    I've contributed to this forum for many years, but am becoming increasingly disillusioned by the negativity that now prevails.
    We should be ecstatic about the growth in all aspects of the sport, rather than constantly harping on about all the things we dislike.
    I'm looking forward to my sportive season, as I'm sure are many others.
    This will be my last post on this thread because I find the negativity of certain posters quite depressing .

It must be the weather... the negativity I mean... :roll: