Sharing route info what's the best map/way ?

weeksy59
weeksy59 Posts: 2,606
edited January 2010 in MTB general
Someone sent me a PM about local routes to me and where i know etc, i'm struggling to find something to draw the route onto etc.

I know the trails and where they go but on things like Google maps they're not shown etc.

What can i use that will show footpaths/trails/bridleways ?

Comments

• if you know where the trails are, go on bikely.co.uk, you can plot the route on there.

Or get an OS map and draw it on there and then scan it in or something.
    MmmBop

Go big or go home.
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    bikehike.co.uk
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • bails87 wrote:
    bikehike.co.uk

I use this all the time, it's so good I even made a donation to the site, and I NEVER do that :lol:
  • MacAndCheese
    MacAndCheese Posts: 1,944
    That's really cool, just used it to see how long my commute is, turns out it's only 8.7 miles. That's less than I thought, so I may add a bit on to it in the evenings.
    Santa Cruz Chameleon
    Orange Alpine 160
  • weeksy59
    That's brilliant lads... well impressed with that.

Pretty much the distance i expected. Really good to see the elevation changes etc.
  • Ohhhh this bike hike thing is awsome. Waaaaaaayyyy better than bikely. Im gonna make damn good use of this.
    MmmBop

Go big or go home.
  • The elevation thing can be slightly off. If you do a loop, you'll quite often see it giving you more ascent than descent (or vice-versa) which obviously, is impossible. It's usually only 100ft or so over around 5000ft of climb/descent.

The OS maps they use used to be limited use too, so they'd sometimes stop working towards late afternoon. Not had this problem in a long time though so I suspect they've done something to rectify it.

If you switch it to hybrid mode, you get the google earth images with roads laid on top, I've found this really handy for finding some trails I never knew existed.
  • weeksy59
    i did have an issue where the OS map changed format into a sort of Green bits and blank bits. How do i get out of that ? Or indeed, how did i get INTO that mode lol.
  • sounds like you have clicked on terrain. just click map or sattelite or hybrid in the top right hand corner of the map
    MmmBop

Go big or go home.
  • weeksy59
    north-sure wrote:
    sounds like you have clicked on terrain. just click map or sattelite or hybrid in the top right hand corner of the map

Nah, that's on the google map, this was on the OS map ?
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    I think it's when you zoom out past a certain point, it's an odd thing to happen really, I'd rather it stayed on a zoomed out OS map, but I guess it would become unreadable. And cheers for the PM, no problem for sharing the link, someone else on here recommended it to me.
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • chris_sw
    chris_sw Posts: 100
    weeksy59 wrote:
    i did have an issue where the OS map changed format into a sort of Green bits and blank bits. How do i get out of that ? Or indeed, how did i get INTO that mode lol.
    If you zoom in too far is goes to the really basic map you are looking at, online they only provide down to 1:50,000 scale I think, zoom in any further and you lose a lot of the detail. Zoom out using the buttons in the corner of the map or the scroll wheel on your mouse.

Also, BikeHike is a brilliant website, I was looking into building a website like bikely that included the OS maps along side it myself, then I found it had already been done! Use it to plan all my routes now, since I usually ride alone it's a good way to give route plans to people before I head off for the day so they know where I've gone if I don't come back :)