Cleaning your bike

Roscobob
Roscobob Posts: 344
edited January 2010 in Road beginners
Is it suitable to just powerwash the sh1t out of it?

Any top tips?

Comments

• Roscobob
    Roscobob Posts: 344
    Cheers!
  • Ollieda
    Ollieda Posts: 1,010
    when I get in from a mucky ride I just take it in the shower and give it a wash down as I live in a tiny flat so no back garden and hose pipe! Use wet wipes after as mentioned above.

There is another thread on here somewhere with more people talking about it and giving tips
  • iain_j
    iain_j Posts: 1,941
    Definitely use Muc Off or something similar. Water by itself won't shift oil/grease.

Clean the really filthy bits - chain, gears etc - with degreaser, then hose the whole bike down, give it a liberal spray of Muc Off, leave it for a minute, rub the frame down with a Muc Off-soaked sponge, and rinse it all off.
  • For a quick wash I use Muc Off and a powerwasher, but not on the bearings. I got a http://www.mobiwasher.co.uk/shop/product/v17/ from Santa which works very well, variable pressure, easy to grab and use, and rechargeable battery etc. I would use degreaser during a more thorough clean of the bike depending on how bad it was.

Dex.
  • dennisn
    dennisn Posts: 10,601
    Power washing is O.K. if, as already stated, you stay away for bearings. It can also remove decals and stickers in some cases.
  • redddraggon
    redddraggon Posts: 10,862
    Hosepipe, sponge and a bit of washing up liquid.

No need for the overpriced muc off rubbish.
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • dennisn
    dennisn Posts: 10,601
    Hosepipe, sponge and a bit of washing up liquid.

No need for the overpriced muc off rubbish.

+1