General Sintesi 707 chat.

CraigXXL
CraigXXL Posts: 1,852
edited July 2010 in MTB general
Anyone know the diameter of the seatpost required on a Sintesi 707 frame is?

Thinking of building up a cheap bike using the bits I have to give to a good mate who's now out of work and having to take his car off the road. Seen the frame at Merlin and I have most the bits I need less the brakes but should be able to pick them up cheap too somewhere.

Comments

• Just measured mine and it's 31.6mm, I ended up getting a really cheap Easton EA30 one from Merlin.
    Look 566
    Dolan Hercules
    Genesis Flyer
    Sintesi 707
    Genesis Aether
    Charge Plug
  • It is indeed 31.6mm.

I have the black frame, which I haven't yet built upon ( :roll: ), but I may sell it anyway because I'm considering getting a different frame for the build. Now I've got everything ready for the build, I've kind of changed my mind. D'oh!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Marin
    SS Inbred
    Mongoose Teocali Super
  • CraigXXL
    I picked the frame up this afternoon and found out the seatpost size, typical when I have a couple of 27.2 knocking about.

Bargain of frame for the price, should build up to a nice bike when finished. Johny I wish you'd said this before and I've of snapped it off your hands.
  • Sorry...I'm a bit useless that way! :wink:

I've only recently toyed with the idea of going in a slightly different build direction, so that is the reason I may sell in order to buy another frame. It's a nice frame, and if I do sell, I may end up regretting it, but I figure I'll have to if I want to fund another frame purchase.

How much did it cost you, if you don't mind me asking?
    Marin
    SS Inbred
    Mongoose Teocali Super
  • CraigXXL
    £73 collected
  • That's a pretty good price. Did you get the black one too, or the white?
    Marin
    SS Inbred
    Mongoose Teocali Super
  • CraigXXL
    Black, less colour matching plus it looks cool too.
  • Just ordered one myself. Can any one add to this and let me know the seat clamp size.
  • CraigXXL
    Comes with a seat clamp and Ritchey headset included in the price.

I've just about built mine up with 2008 Deore crank, shifters, front mech, LX rear mech, Suntour X100 forks most taken from my Avalanche along with the wheels. Also Magura Julie brakes 180/160, Easton 30 seatpost, V8's and my spare XT cassette which will be coming back off when I find the Deore one I have somewhere. Just need the brake adapter for the front brakes and it's ready to go. Must admit it's a very nice bike and tempted to keep it.
  • Ok cheers. It doesn't mention the clamp on there site so that's why I asked. You think a 2.35 Minion will fit in the frame? Hope so or I will need new tyres.
  • CraigXXL
    Might be a bit tight.
  • Should be okay, there's plenty of clearance for my 2.3 Michs.
    Look 566
    Dolan Hercules
    Genesis Flyer
    Sintesi 707
    Genesis Aether
    Charge Plug
  • Fair enough. I'll see when it turns up.
  • CraigXXL
    The bike no longer has Magura Julie's on, very disappointed. I nipped up the lever mount whilst I shortened the hose, reconnected the hose and squeezed the lever to check for leaks. When I released the lever I heard a ping as the lever mount snapped. They are made of a composite plastic with a lower torque setting of 4NM but I was nowhere near this as it was only finger tight but it still snapped. I think the plastic had gone brittle when cold from been in the garage over night in freezing conditions either way not impressed.

The Sinseti now has white Juicy 3's which need the hose shortening but don't come with the parts to do so and a rear brake that which comes prebled with air instead of brake fluid. Wish I'd gone the cheap route and put V-brakes on instead.
  • gaff_taff
    gaff_taff Posts: 346
    You got any pics? I can't find any white 707 frames anywhere

Taff
  • Hi, Craig.

I think it will look fine with the white AJ3's. I thought you had a black frame llike mine -

CIMG4878-1.jpg
    Marin
    SS Inbred
    Mongoose Teocali Super
  • CraigXXL
    I do have the black frame, the picture is from Merlin's website.

The white Juicy 3's look pretty good on the bike. It's now all built up and ready to go. The Juicy 3's where a pain, bleed kit required to shorten hose, more air in the pre-bleed system than the sky above not that impressed with Avid's. I used the Clarks teflon gear cable set from Halfords at £9 and very impressed, nice slick shifts with good quality housing and ferrels and black cables as a bonus.

I'll get some photo's up tomorrow after work, I'm still impressed with the build up around the frame and anyone wanting to build up a cheap bike won't go wrong with thie Sintesi 707.
  • CraigXXL
    Pictures as promised

[img][/img]p1000057m.th.jpg

[img][/img]p1000055x.th.jpg
  • Not bad. Mine should be here this week. Already got a new cassette, chainring and chain. Just need to get some forks and a seat post, everything else is coming off the bike I have now.
  • What is the length of the steerer tube on these frames?
    BeOne Frame, RockShox Recon, Mavic 719 XT Hubs, Elixr R brakes, floating rotor, SLX Drivetrain.
    Webdesign project http://www.nfpc.org.uk
  • CraigXXL
    Around 195-200mm. I had mine in place, marked and cut so didn't use a tape measure.
  • Got my frame today, checked my rear wheel and a minion single ply 2.35 fits fine. There's not tons of room but it's also not a really tight fit, there's roughly 5mm space between the outer nobs and the seatstay, about 15mm clearance at the top of the tube and about 4-5mm between the nobs and the chainstay.

Just need to get some forks and a seatpost now, possible a new seat as well. Question I need ask my self is 100mm or 120mm, maybe I'll go for u-turn.

Did ask merlin to face the bb shell but they haven't. Not too bothered as it does come with a seat clamp which they don't state, the frame is only 80 quid and the star nut installation tool I ordered from them states on their site 1 and 1 1/8 but the tool can also do 1 1/2 and bmx.

The BB doesn't really have any paint on it just a very fine bit of over spray so I might leave it as is and when I install the cranks I'll see if it spins fine or maybe I just get it done while it's just the frame save taking it apart in future.

I do have some decisions to make.
  • Sarnian
    Sarnian Posts: 1,451
    Got my frame today, checked my rear wheel and a minion single ply 2.35 fits fine. There's not tons of room but it's also not a really tight fit, there's roughly 5mm space between the outer nobs and the seatstay, about 15mm clearance at the top of the tube and about 4-5mm between the nobs and the chainstay.

Just need to get some forks and a seatpost now, possible a new seat as well. Question I need ask my self is 100mm or 120mm, maybe I'll go for u-turn.

Did ask merlin to face the bb shell but they haven't. Not too bothered as it does come with a seat clamp which they don't state, the frame is only 80 quid and the star nut installation tool I ordered from them states on their site 1 and 1 1/8 but the tool can also do 1 1/2 and bmx.

The BB doesn't really have any paint on it just a very fine bit of over spray so I might leave it as is and when I install the cranks I'll see if it spins fine or maybe I just get it done while it's just the frame save taking it apart in future.

I do have some decisions to make.

I am running mine with 120mm mazzochi 33 and It rides really nice.
    It's not a ornament, so ride It
  • CraigXXL
    Mine has 100mm only because I already had them and it rides well too.
  • supertwisted
    supertwisted Posts: 565
    Bump of an old thread rather than start a new one.

I'm building this frame up with a Truvativ X-Flow square taper crankset and 8 speed cassette.

My question is, any ideas what spindle length I'll need for the BB? Most common seems to be 68x113mm so was going to punt for that unless anyone knows better?

Thanks
    Less internal organs, same supertwisted great taste.
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    if you look at the Truvativ manual it will tell you.

it is not frame specific but crank.

but yes 113mm is what you want.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • supertwisted
    supertwisted Posts: 565
    That'll teach me not to RTFM. Cheers Nicklouse. :)
    Less internal organs, same supertwisted great taste.