Riser bars with Bar ends,

Dr S
Dr S Posts: 146
edited January 2010 in MTB general
Discuss.

I'm liking the new Scott with its carbon risers, but i'm finding climbing a little strange, i'd normally just go for the bar ends get forward on the saddle and spin. It feels like theres nothing to pull against with tother bars.

How does the rest of the world cope apart from using uplifts...

Nick
Kona Kula Supreme, the hardtail
Scott Spark 20 the softtail
Cannondale CAAD9 the roadie

Comments

• Riser bars with bar ends?

GAY!!! :-D
    2010 Lynskey R230
    2013 Yeti SB66
  • KT1973
    KT1973 Posts: 93
    I know what you mean. I'm about to buy some low rise carbon bars but have been severely tempted to go for flats with bar ends. I do miss it on the climbs or even just for changing hand poisitons on long straight sections or roads
  • Barrie_G
    Barrie_G Posts: 479
    Just go for it, you'll decide if you don't like it, in this case I wouldn't let other peoples opinions sway your judgement.

in my opinion that is :lol:
  • scale20
    scale20 Posts: 1,300
    I have carbon low rise bars on my Gary fisher Ht with small stubby Titec bar ends on.

I missed my bar ends and always found myself holding the end of the bars in a bar end manner.

I know its not right in the eyes of the fashion police but it works.

try it.
    Niner Air 9 Rigid
    Whyte 129S 29er.
  • biff55
    biff55 Posts: 1,404
    if the biking world had fashion police , we'd all be doing time
    and if bar-ends will aid your riding , get them.
    compared to some of my ridiculous bike modification ideas its small change. :D
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    If you're too fashion conscious, you could always go for a steep stem and a flat bar instead...

Wide risers do take away some of the advantage of bar ends but it's still just fashion that killed them tbh. If you want them, fit them.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • GHill
    GHill Posts: 2,402
    If you do decide to add bar ends it's worth checking with the manufacturer if the carbon bar can take them - some can't.
  • GHill wrote:
    If you do decide to add bar ends it's worth checking with the manufacturer if the carbon bar can take them - some can't.

It's possible to get some inserts to put in a carbon bar to stop bar ends destroying them, CRC do them.
    My Amp Goes Up to Eleven
    2010 Merlin Malt 1
    2000 KHE Beater
  • JFDI.

I have.

Never understood why risers mean you don't need bar ends. It's nothing to do with height it's the position of your wrists relative to your arms and the different muscle groups this brings into play.

Anyone who's a naysayer has never ridden a road bike uphill on the hoods.

(Cue roadie-dissing.) :wink:
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    Never understood why risers mean you don't need bar ends. It's nothing to do with height it's the position of your wrists relative to your arms and the different muscle groups this brings into play.

It's the width- a 700mm or similiar allows for effective honking even with your hands in the normal riding position, actually better than a narrow road bar and riding on the hoods IMO. Bar ends and a decently wide bar are better still but it's not as huge a difference as it was in the old days.

I think another reason bar ends have faded out- and it's mainly fashion but not all- is that mtbers tend not to be that bothered about how fast we go up hills, it tends to be sit and spin and bar ends are no advantage then.
    Uncompromising extremist