Cycle touring in Cuba

MadammeMarie
MadammeMarie Posts: 621
edited January 2010 in Tour & expedition
Has anybody here done a Cuba tour with Saddle Skedaddle or any of the other organized tours? Don't fancy dong a self guided one b/c I have nobody to go with, so I'd rather go with the experts.

A few questions:

Did you take your own bike?

Were you met at the airport in Havanna?

What airline did you fly with?

Thanks.

Comments

• andymiller
    andymiller Posts: 2,856
    I've not been on the Cuba trip myself but I've been on a couple of trips with Skedaddle (as well as a couple of weekends). Definitely recommended.

(I met someone on one of those trips who had been on the Cuba trip and had come back for another holiday with Skedaddle).

They are very helpful, and I'm sure they'd be happy to answer your specific questions direct.
  • stu99
    stu99 Posts: 177
    Exodus offer a great two-week cycling holiday in Cuba. Good range of routes and hotels with the added bonus of an experienced and knowledgeable tour guide.

I flew from Gatwick to Havanna with Virgin - we were met at the airport by an Exodus rep and transported to the hotel.

I have been on a few Exodus cycling holidays and would advise hiring rather taking your own bike.
  • I've been with Skedaddle a few times inc. Cuba and they are a great company....a lot smaller than Exodus, so a more personal approach rather than part of a big company - nice ethics too.

Think they still stay in casa particulars (cuban family homes) for a few nights which was a great part of my trip....so worth checking this

I'd not take my bike with me, they had lots out there and flying with a bike is becoming a hassle and yep met at the airport too.

I flew with Iberia, but Virgin a good option and direct, but not every day.

Just checked their site and some good feedback here too

http://cycling.skedaddle.co.uk/holiday/ ... faqs.rails

hope this helps
  • I went to Cuba a few years ago. I had been with Skedaddle a few times before (UK, Europe and Peru) and had always been impressed so although i looked at the exodus trip as well Skedaddle were the obvious choice for me.

I rented one of the bikes out there. I couldn't be bothered with the hassle of taking my own to be honest and the bike i used was up to the job, a decent mountain bike which handled the grvel tracks on the trip.

I was met at the airport and taken to my hotel. After being met everything was pretty hassle free, i felt well looked after and didn't have any stress about making connections or knowing where i was going.

Being a northerner I flew from Manchester with Air france who had a service via Paris. Other people on the trip flew with Iberia i think. I found Air France pretty good, no delays and everything got there in one piece.

I have done a few self guided things with Saddle Skedaddle as well as under my own steam and while i enjoy them i really wouldn't want to miss out on the experience i had with the guides in Cuba. With my group we had a local guide and a guy from the UK so we were well looked after and i felt we got a good insight in to elements of Cuba 90% of visitors miss out on.
  • jc4lab
    jc4lab Posts: 554
    Explore are another.company.but they are very very easy going...maybe too easy for some.You can Download their trip dossier.for Cuba.and see if their daily milage is enough for you..Used them in Morrocco and Poland..Very likeable guides..The groups tend to be age 35+....A bit expensive cos they use higher grade hotels ..Lets just say a non regular cyclist would cope ok on this
    jc
  • If you want another option to look at for Cuba, then check us out too. I won't use the forum for blatant propaganda but here's the link if you want to add our trip in to the mix when making your selection:

http://www.cycleactive.co.uk/cycletours ... /cuba.html

We also have a fairly large Cycle Cuba gallery, which might be of interest too:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/cycleactiv ... 956825507/

Hope this helps. Feel free to email us on admin@cycleactive.co.uk or direct to me on chris@cycleactive.co.uk if you want to know more. But it is a great place to ride and whoever you travel with it will be an amazing trip, I'm sure.
    Chris Ford