Cramping Hands...Any Ideas?

shortyman
shortyman Posts: 48
edited January 2010 in Road beginners
Hi,

I'm new to road biking having previously ridden mtb/commuting mtb. I have a Specialized Allez Elite courtesy of bike to work which I started riding in November.

The problem I have is that I keep getting cramps in my hands (in the area between thumb and forefinger) when I'm riding on the hoods. I put it down to the riding position being so different but it hasn't gone away.

Am I over reaching and putting too much weight through my hands? Does anyone else have this problem? I'd be grateful for any hints or tips.

Thanks for reading,

Tony

Comments

• bobtbuilder
    bobtbuilder Posts: 1,537
    It may be that you are just getting used to that riding position and the muscles in your hands are not used to it, or you could be putting too much weight through that area.

Have you had many rides on the new bike yet? I sometimes get this problem if I have not ridden for ages, but it usually goes away after 3 or 4 rides.

Do you feel overstretched riding on the hoods?

Try riding with your hands on the top of the bars to give your hands a break.
  • Chirg
    Chirg Posts: 141
    Hi Shortyman

Yes I have had similar on a bike with aluminium forks (lots of vibration) on what I think they call chip and seal roads (lots of vibrations) when I had too much weight on my hands. I moved the handlebars higher. You can do this by rotating the bars, moving spacers from on top of the stem to underneath it or flipping the stem to make it point up. For me a couple of centimetres made all the difference.

Interestingly my core muscles have improved over the last couple of years so I am back in the position that gave me trouble before on the same bike, but as I now carry far less weight on my hands it doesn't give me any problems.

I would try flipping the stem, it won't cost you anything!
  • rake
    rake Posts: 3,204
    maybe your gripping the bars too hard? i just rest my palms. or try some gel pads.
  • mtb-idle
    mtb-idle Posts: 2,179
    can you supply us with a picture of you on said bike to aid diagnosis?
    FCN = 4
  • Thanks for the suggestions. I'll have a play about tomorrow if I can. I'll also see if I can get a pic taken to help.

In answer to the questions I've been out about once a week mostly going to and from work (36miles round trip). I do feel quite stretched out but I know some of that is just getting used to a new position. I wouldn't say I hold the bars in a death grip and I've been making a conscious effort to try and keep my hands and arms relaxed (although my arms are fairly straight when on the hoods)

Thanks again for the help!
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    You say your arms are extended - are your elbows locked? If they are, yours arms aren't acting like shock-absorbers and you hands take a hammering. If so, try shortening you reach i.e raise bars, shorten stem. A gel bar tape and gloves can help too.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • I had pretty much the same thing on my spesh allez sport. For some reason, despite me having a long trunk, i was stretched out on a 61cm although im 6'3" tall...

try a shorter stem and play with the angle of the hoods
    exercise.png
  • pressure on the ulnar nerve. try ergo grips.