Superstar brake pads : Hole through the pad!!

mendipracer
mendipracer Posts: 66
edited January 2010 in MTB general
I remove my brake pads today and found there was a hole straight through the pad. (see pics)
Also i have only had these pads for 3 months whereas the original pads that came with the brakes (Avid Juicy 5) lasted for a year.
But I suppose thats what you get for a fiver...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/46178285@N02/4241420924

http://www.flickr.com/photos/46178285@N ... 129508858/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/46178285@N ... 129508858/

Comments

• weeksy59
    weeksy59 Posts: 2,606
    buy cheap pads they don't last as well or as long.

They're the cheapest you can find.... which is why you bought them :)
  • scale20
    scale20 Posts: 1,300
    I stick to Aztek pads, never let me down!
    Niner Air 9 Rigid
    Whyte 129S 29er.
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    It looks like they were overdue for replacement anyway? The last pic could be deceiving but it seems to be very thin. If I'm right then this isn't a failure at all, it's just what happens when you run pads too thin.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    Yeah, it looks like you've worn the pad down all the way to the backing plate. The hole is in the backing plate, not the friction material.
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • stubs
    stubs Posts: 5,001
    Thats what happens to Resin pads when you use them in bad weather they dont last long. I had a pair of EBC resin pads dissapear in an 18 mile ride in the wet. Get some sintered pads for winter they last a lot longer.
    Fig rolls: proof that god loves cyclists and that she wants us to do another lap
  • bails87 wrote:
    Yeah, it looks like you've worn the pad down all the way to the backing plate. The hole is in the backing plate, not the friction material.
    +1
    I would have changed pads a long long time ago.
  • Tim.s
    Tim.s Posts: 515
    +1

Just looks like a dirty, worn out old brake pad. Ive used Superstar pads for ages and always found them very reliable.
    "Didn't hurt"
  • bamba
    bamba Posts: 856
    +1 For super star sintered pads ,still looking good after 2 months of good use in all kinds of shi7 weather. My original avid pads lasted about 2.5 to 3 months, mostly used in the dry.
  • sniper68
    sniper68 Posts: 2,910
    The pad in your photos is an Avid pad.The hole is on the back plate and lines up with a lug on the piston when the pad surface is excessively worn the hole becomes exposed. .As said earlier the pads are well goosed and need changing.
    Pad wear varies,i've had organics fall apart after 8 wet/gritty miles!Sintered last a bit longer.I generally go through 5 or 6 rear and 3 front sets a year.More if its a wet one like 2008/09 :roll: Then again i mainly ride in the Dark Peak and that eats pads.
  • R2 D2
    R2 D2 Posts: 34
    5 months is not bad tbh. I use superstar pads and get though them especially in the wet. The Kevlar ones from superstar seem good , not as long lasting as sintered much much better feel to them.