storing bike safely in a shed or other

greeny67
greeny67 Posts: 56
edited January 2010 in Road beginners
Ive got a 2 bikes and nowhere to store them other than the house. My girlfriend is going mad that they take up too much room. I need some kind of purpose built shed which isn't a flimmsy bit of wood that can be opened with your little finger! Anyone got any ideas. much appreciated.

Comments

• Garz
    Garz Posts: 1,155
    Theres been a couple of posts like this over the months, however as a cheap alternative you could buy a few anchor points to lock them to and maybe get a roof-like sheet to stop some of the weather. All depends on how much room you have in garden and other structures of use.
  • sicknote
    sicknote Posts: 901
    Here are some for you to look into.

I have built one like B&Q do out of an old shed, so it has not cost me much at all and will put an alarm in it too.
    Plus bolt the bikes to a bracket too.
  • Barrie_G
    Barrie_G Posts: 479
    Find a girlfriend that doesn't mind your bikes, you'll be much happier in the end :wink:

Failing that, don't forget that if anything happens to them it's her fault :wink:

Other than that get the strongest shed you can afford, coach bolts on all hinges and lock brackets along with something big and heavy to chain them to.

If cost isn't really a concern, have you thought about a steel shipping container?
  • Barrie_G wrote:
    Find a girlfriend that doesn't mind your bikes, you'll be much happier in the end :wink:

Failing that, don't forget that if anything happens to them it's her fault :wink:

Other than that get the strongest shed you can afford, coach bolts on all hinges and lock brackets along with something big and heavy to chain them to.

If cost isn't really a concern, have you thought about a steel shipping container?

In a garden?!?!?!?!?!?
  • sicknote
    Barrie_G wrote:

In a garden?!?!?!?!?!?

It can be done and you would have a safe workshop too :wink:

Ps They have been used for living in too
  • bigpikle
    bigpikle Posts: 1,690
    http://www.trimetals.co.uk/bicycle-storage.php?m=4&g=9

not cheap but shop around and there are sometimes deals to be found. IIRC Screwfix stock this range as well.
    Your Past is Not Your Potential...
  • ravey1981
    ravey1981 Posts: 1,111
    I had several grands worth of stuff stolen from my garage a few years back (£2000 mtb and a motorbike) and after that I had a big steel cage door made that is anchored into the walls.

Nobody is getting in there without the 3 keys which it takes to get in i promise you...

Anyway...If I were you I would do a similar thing. i.e. have a shed constructed from steel box section in the form of a cage (no more than 6 inch gaps between the bars. Put a door in the cage and weld the hinges on and put in a couple of mortice locks (weld these in too)

When Its done clad it with normal tongue and groove board like you would any shed.

Oh yeah and bolt it to the ground.

Fort knox for bikes :)
  • thanks for the advise guys, the shackup tridoorbike store looks a good option,although im not great at diy i might have to give it a go.
  • sicknote
    greeny67 wrote:
    thanks for the advise guys, the shackup tridoorbike store looks a good option,although im not great at diy i might have to give it a go.

I have made mine a long the same lines, plus it should come in panels that you just screw together.
  • dru
    dru Posts: 1,341
    can you not just get a wall bracket and hang them up inside somewhere - off the floor so the space is still usable?

This is what I'm looking to do after finding myslef in the same 2 bike situation.
  • curium
    curium Posts: 815
    Keep mine in the shed locked to an anchor in a bucket of cement.
  • redjeepǃ
    redjeepǃ Posts: 531
    I bought a huge great hardened steel chain and padlock from a local locksmith and then made up a concrete beam with several holes through it and just padlock the bike to it. It's way too heavy to move. I've heard of other people doing it with dustbins or beer kegs etc. Anything that's going to be too heavy too move.

You could alternatively get a ground anchor that bolts to the floor, they even do them now for wooden walls, but my concrete beam was free.

As other people have said, replace all the door screws for the hinges etc with coachbolts and reinforce the door (I used some 4x2" timber). It's probably a good idea to block any view into the shed so the scrote's can't see what's in it.

I love the steel cage idea.
  • BruceG
    BruceG Posts: 347
    greeny67 wrote:
    Ive got a 2 bikes and nowhere to store them other than the house. My girlfriend is going mad that they take up too much room. I need some kind of purpose built shed which isn't a flimmsy bit of wood that can be opened with your little finger! Anyone got any ideas. much appreciated.

Along wiht the bikes, pleace the following in the shed.

1 x Dobermann Pincher
    1 x Elastic Band

The elastic band should be wound firmly around the Dobermanns willy prior to going to bed, this will put it in the right frame of mind to deal with any intruders.