Shifter mounting.

BOYDIE
BOYDIE Posts: 528
edited January 2010 in MTB general
I get slagged all the time from my riding buds,for mounting my shifters outboard of my levers,i.e my shifters are closest to my grips.I like it this way .means I can get a better shift and the brake levers are in a better position for me. Small hands. :?

Does any body else use this setup?

Comments

• Andy B
    Andy B Posts: 8,115
    Who cares, so long as it works for you ;)
    2385861000_d125abe796_m.jpg
  • P-Jay
    P-Jay Posts: 1,478
    Yeah, I also run my brakes about 1cm inboard of my shifters, I only 1-finger-brake and the levers are too long otherwise.

We're in good company....

http://www.sicklines.com/news-images/pe ... dh_big.jpg
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    i mount my shifter slike that too, means i can rach the shifters but still have my brake lever far enough aay that i can use one finger on the end of the blade.
  • captainfly
    captainfly Posts: 1,001
    Erm isn't this the best way to set up a cockpit? For some reason (probably asthetic) manufactures/bike shops like to send out bike with the brakes nearest the grips, unless you are running single/double finger levers and shiters that have vitualy no movement and no effort, which tbh most bikes don't, it doesn't make sense.
    -_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_
    Mongoose Teocali
    Giant STP0

Why are MTB economics; spend twice as much as you intended, but only half as much as you wish you could afford? :roll:
  • GHill
    GHill Posts: 2,402
    It's common for single finger brakers and people who don't mind not having shifter windows.
  • My hands are very small as well, i therefore run a v. similar setup. Also because ive got the Ergon grips which are pretty big, i have to have this setup. It doesn't really matter what other people think, as long as its not hindering your performance who cares?
    Giant XTC SE 2006
    Cube LTD Race 2009
    Trek Fuel EX 9
  • ravey1981
    ravey1981 Posts: 1,111
    Depends on the shape of your levers shifters and how you like them...there is no "correct" way.

I have my shifters inboard of the brake clamp as it keeps the shifter out of the way when I'm holding the bars...

Whatever works for you is the right way
  • biff55
    biff55 Posts: 1,404
    bike set-up miles more important than friends opinions
    ditch them , ride alone :D
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,348
    I'm with you Boydie!
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • joshtp
    joshtp Posts: 3,966
    its personal, i find that this set up doesnt suit me at all, and so i run my shifters inside, howvever there is nothing wrong with either, do whatever you find best and just floor you riding budy;'s next time they say it...... or maybe not.....
    I like bikes and stuff