When are these wheels from?

rokkala
rokkala Posts: 649
edited January 2010 in Workshop
Just remembered i had acquired some wheels a while back. Stored them and forgot about them.

Anybody able to tell me from what year they are likely to be, and if they are/were any good?

dsc01983a.jpg

9 speed cassette attatched to it. Does that mean i can only ever run 9-speed on it, or can i make it work for 10 speed as well?

Cheers

link to pic here if you want to see it easier: http://img519.imageshack.us/img519/323/dsc01983a.jpg

Comments

• Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    They were Campagnolo's top clincher wheels from 'back in the day'.

They were originally introduced in 1992 but yours are a little later than that.

You can probably run 10s on them.
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    They're Camapgnolo Shamal HPW 12's - the originals were introduced in 1993 and were the first factory-produced 'aero' wheels. Later models went to 12f/16rear spokes for increased reliability and the same rim is used today on the Pista wheelset. Whilst heavy in comparison to modern carbon wheels, they are very aero - in fact according to a German magazine test a few years ago, a lot better than some deeper carbon rims. You still see plenty on the TT circuit. As long as they're not the original 8 speed, you can run 9,10 or 11 speed cassettes.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • Look like some I had from 1997, wish I'd never sold them now, especially the front.
  • rokkala
    rokkala Posts: 649
    Interesting, think i'll keep them for when i build up TT bike then.

Cheers!