updated geometry

bandeja
bandeja Posts: 30
edited January 2010 in MTB general
Hi

I'm constantly reading about 'updated geometry' with new bikes. When did this 'updated / new geometry' happen? Was it all of a sudden that bikes started being manufactured with new geometry?

I've got a 1996 GT Zaskar and i've just bought a Specialized Stumpjumper HT - and the stumpjumper certainly feels like its got some new geometry - its a much more relaxed riding position, and i like it - but are all new bikes like this?

So what triggered these geometry changes - and how do you differentiate new with old?

Thanks
Dave

Comments

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    There are lots of combos of geometry out there - what suits you best is the right geometry.

When longer forks were introduced geometry changed so that the angles wouldn't get too slack, and the bottom bracket too high.

Manufacturers nowadays realise there is more to it than just angles - top tube length, stem length and weight distribution all have an effect.

Nowadays the head angles tend to be a touch slacker to help stability, with steepish seat angles to get the weight forward and weight the fork, couples with short stems for easy steering response. Forks are generally even longer too.

I have a 1996 Zaskar, it works great with a 80mm fork.