SPDs or/and Flats?

YIMan
YIMan Posts: 576
edited January 2010 in MTB general
I've been riding SPD pedals for years but am now tending more towards freeride type riding (trail centres, local woods, one trip a year to the Alps etc) than long cross-country epics ala yesteryear. I would like to learn more trials/jump type skills and was thinking the SPDs aren't really going to be suitable. I then also thought that I've probably been riding "wrong" by pulling up on my SPDs to get over obstacles, go off little jumps etc where I should be using weighting of the bike.

Does anyone have any experience of going back to flats for this type of riding? Am I right in believing that I'm actually hampering my skills development by sticking to SPDs?

Comments

• I regularly switch between the two and it doesn't take long to re-adjust.

I learnt how to bunnyhop etc on flats, so don't believe I rely on SPD's to do these out on the trail. However, having SPD's on probably aids with the movement.
  • weescott
    weescott Posts: 453
    YIMan wrote:
    Am I right in believing that I'm actually hampering my skills development by sticking to SPDs?

Unless you are going to be doing a lot of dirt jumping - no. Sounds like you just need to work on your technique a little.

I went the opposite way and went from using Flats for years to SPD's. You quickly learn how to adjust your riding going back and forth between pedaling flatforms and know where bad habits are. Like trying to do a bunnyhop by pulling up on SPD's....when you are on Flats. :shock:
  • richg1979
    richg1979 Posts: 1,087
    i switch between the 2 quite often too, i tend to use spd's in the summer and flats in the winter. was funny last week on a up hill tech trail coverd in ice dodging the spd wearing scatterd bodies lol.
  • Alex
    Alex Posts: 2,086
    Using either type of pedal will not make you a better rider. Being able to use both types to good effect however will make you a better rider, and you'll be able to pick and choose your pedals for the ride you're doing.

For example, if you were going to Mabie and wanted to ride the Dark Side, it's XC, but you might well not want to clip in.

Or, if you were doing a particularly long, rocky DH race and were struggling to keep your feet on the pedals, you might opt for clips rather than your usual flats.
  • M1llh0use
    M1llh0use Posts: 863
    been thinking along the lines of the OP for a while as well.

so i've gone with the best of both and ordered these:

shimano_m545_pedal.jpg

and these:

1245756204694-1shzhsgfpq8d2-399-75.jpg

should work well alongside my mavic shoes and standard spd for the summer!
    {insert smartarse comment here}
  • YIMan
    I actually have similar pedals, but they are not flat enough to use comfortably with non-SPD shoes - the SPD fittings protrude too much so you're standing on them, not the flat cage.....
  • I rode for about a year on flats and now regularly switch between the two without a problem. SPDs for longer XC rides and trail centres but I stick the flats on for anything really technical.
  • M1llh0use
    YIMan wrote:
    I actually have similar pedals, but they are not flat enough to use comfortably with non-SPD shoes - the SPD fittings protrude too much so you're standing on them, not the flat cage.....

thought that might be the case, but at least there's a decent platform to use when you unclip if needs be...
  • YIMan
    M1llh0use wrote:
    YIMan wrote:

thought that might be the case, but at least there's a decent platform to use when you unclip if needs be...

True, but they don't give as much support as you might think. I tried to ride some downhills unclipped, just standing on the cages, but it puts your feet in a funny position with almost the heel on the pedal, and it's quite easy for your feet to slip off.
  • M1llh0use
    oh. :(

never mind - only £90 wasted :roll:
  • YIMan
    You might get on with them better than me!

:)
  • YIMan
    You might get on with them better than me!

:)
  • M1llh0use
    well i'm going out on normal flats tomorrow and my old shimano MP56 flat soled shoes so well see what happens when i get the new ones!