Reba Race service at home/TFTuned/TFTuned Service and PUSHed

bails87
bails87 Posts: 12,998
edited January 2010 in MTB workshop & tech
I've had my Reba Race 08's for a year (nearly), and have covered about 700 miles. I'm sure they're 'due' a service according to the manual. All I've done so far is put some dry lube on the stanchions and then pumped the forks and wiped to get the dirt out of the seals.

Has anyone had their Rebas PUSHed by TFTuned? Would you say it was worth it?

How about the standard service? £75 well spent?

Or could I just do it myself and save a load of cash? I know the manual makes it look quite simple, but in reality, how easy is it? I'm fairly competent mechanically, but have never taken apart forks.
MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."

Comments

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Download the service guides and have a look - these are an easy fork to strip and service compared to others.

I'd have a crack at it at home! The basic strip and clean service is a doddle, you don't even open the damper up - the only oil you replace is the lube oil.
  • bails87
    Cheers, I might see if the LBS has the lube oil, and then do it on New Years Day, in the quiet and dark of the garage. Will take my mind off the hangover!
    MTB/CX

• MarkLG
    MarkLG Posts: 189
    It's only about an hours work at most to service them yourself once you've got the forks off the bike. You'll need some 5wt suspension fluid to do the damper cartridge and some 15wt to lube the insides, plus a small syringe to measure in the correct amounts.
    Download the service manual from the Rockshox website and have a read through - there really isn't much to it. Cheapest place for suspension fluid is your nearest motorbike shop.
  • bails87
    Ah, so I don't need anything bike specific then? I can just use bog standard suspension oil?
    MTB/CX

• bails87
    Looking through this http://www.sram.com/_media/pdf/rockshox ... MY08_E.pdf
    Is it a case of removing the lowers and cleaning, then removing, cleaning and re-soaking the seals (pg 15 and 21) and then the spring service on page 54?
    MTB/CX

• There was an article in either WMB or 'MBR' :oops: (don't know whether thats a dirty word on this forum) about servicing Reba Race forks.
    Giant XTC SE 2006
    Cube LTD Race 2009
    Trek Fuel EX 9
  • I had my Vanilla forks serviced by TF approx. 4 months ago and have had no complaints. However, it is an expensive thing to pay for in comparison to the cost of the forks.

I have some Judy TT's (03) and some Tora 302's (07) that I want to give an overhaul, but cannot really afford to be having them both serviced. I want to have a go at them myself, but it's something I've kind of avoided.

I'm learning as much as I can regarding bike maintenance, and I do most of my own work at home nowadays, whereas a year or so ago I would have been back and forth to the LBS. I now know that things are not that difficult once you give it a go (that coupled with the wealth of help always available on here from you guys :D ).

However, forks are something I've always found daunting.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Marin
    SS Inbred
    Mongoose Teocali Super
  • supersonic
    I'll service them for you - bring 'em round!
  • Hi, mate!

Mate, that's good of you...I'd gladly give you something for the trouble. It's something I need to learn how to do. Everything else I've just given a go, but forks are an expensive piece of kit that I've always been scared of buggering up.
    Marin
    SS Inbred
    Mongoose Teocali Super
  • stumpyjon
    stumpyjon Posts: 4,069
    Unless there is something wrong with them you should be able to do them yourself. If you do a full service it'll cost you around £ 40 for the 2 service kits (you can buy them from TFT) plus the cost of the oil. TFTuned may well get a crack at mine at some point as they have that fault where they dump all the oil into the right hand lower leg. TFT can fix that with a PUSH service. They did a cracking job on my FOx TALAS forks, but then they are difficult to service and weren't working correctly.

TFT are pretty good but if you're handy around bikes you can save yourself a lot of cash.
    It's easier to ask for forgiveness than for permission.

I've bought a new bike....ouch - result
    Can I buy a new bike?...No - no result
  • bails87
    There was an article in either WMB or 'MBR' :oops: (don't know whether thats a dirty word on this forum) about servicing Reba Race forks.

You genius. I kept it for a reason! Issue 100, Sept 09, perfect.

Although it does talk about Red Rum lubricant for the sponges and Judy Butter grease inside the wipers. but am I right in thinking these can be replaced with 15wt susp oil and standard teflon bike grease?

So all I'll need are the tools, 15wt fork oil and a dab of grease?
    MTB/CX

• supersonic
    Hi, mate!

Mate, that's good of you...I'd gladly give you something for the trouble. It's something I need to learn how to do. Everything else I've just given a go, but forks are an expensive piece of kit that I've always been scared of buggering up.

PM me and we'll meet up and go through it sometime. I got the oils for the lubes - the damper on the Tora is sealed and should be fine. So we are talking a basic strip, clean and lube.

You'll be suprised how basic the TT is!!
  • Dazzza
    Dazzza Posts: 2,364
    There was an article in either WMB or 'MBR' :oops: (don't know whether thats a dirty word on this forum) about servicing Reba Race forks.

Wmb september, the 100th mega bike issue.

If staying standard then diy, as said it's easy just replace the seals and use the correct grade of lube.

Pushed forks are worth it, i have a pushed rp23 in the back and it's achingly plush i swear it feels like a coiled shock at times. from what i've heard you lose a bit of small bump sensitivity but you gain everywhere else, the don't ramp up on larger hits and remain more progressive and predictable, it's a good upgrade and one im thinking of myself as my 1st gen rebas are still on their original seals and going strong!! :D

Personally id just keep using them until the seals go, 4 years on for my set, still keeps the pressure. ;)
    The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it.
    Giant Anthem X
  • gonga
    gonga Posts: 225
    would fox float rl forks be too difficult to attempt at home?
    Im looking at doing my fox rp2 at home within the next month or so and have not seen too much info about how to do the forks.
    :)
  • stumpyjon
    stumpyjon Posts: 4,069
    All you ever needed to know about stripping here.

Full Rockshox guides here.
    It's easier to ask for forgiveness than for permission.

I've bought a new bike....ouch - result
    Can I buy a new bike?...No - no result
  • gonga
    gonga Posts: 225
    Thanks.
    I just wondered how easy it was as last time i looked i couldn't find much feedback on anybody diy'in it.
  • bails87
    Well, i did it today, really wasn't much to it. Apart from having to hit the bottom of the shafts a fair bit harder than I thought I'd need to. But it all seemed to go well, went back together with no problems (apart from realising I'd forgotten to put an O-ring on a leg to measure sag, so had to redo it) and seems to be working fine. I'll probably go out for a hangover ride tomorrow, so will let you guys know if it's made any difference.
    MTB/CX

• Well done, that man! :D
    Marin
    SS Inbred
    Mongoose Teocali Super
  • bails87
    Cheers!

It was only the very basic service and clean, as described in WMB. So took the lowers off, cleaned the inside of them, and the uppers, then re lubed the sponges, bit of grease on the sliders, and put them back together with some new susp fluid.

But now I know how to do that I could consider doing the 'proper' service at some point in the future.
    MTB/CX

• bails87
    Well, went for a ride today, it was pretty tame. But there certainly seemed to be a lot less 'stiction' in the forks, they were much more responsive to small bumps, so I'm glad I spent the hour or so doing it.
    MTB/CX