Superleggera vs Hope Pro 2

Duffer
Duffer Posts: 379
edited January 2010 in MTB buying advice
Obviously, there have been many good things said about the Pro 2s, but has anyone had much exerience with the Superstar hubs? I'm looking into buying a new set of wheels for general trail riding, and i'm wondering if the Superleggeras are as good as the hopes...

Comments

• ash.addy
    ash.addy Posts: 140
    I'm in the same position don't know which way to invest the 120 poinbt engagement does look tempting.
    Trying to break out of the asylum and onto the muddy tracks in Swansea.
  • http://www.bikeradar.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=15826061
    i asked the same thing last week and just to day ive ordered hope pro 2 on dt swiss 5.1d as they seem to have the best reviews as for the superstar there newish so nobody has really reviewed there wheels
  • stu8975
    stu8975 Posts: 1,334
    Ive been using the Superstar hubs for a while now. Superfast front and Superleggera rear ..so far they have been spot on...120 point engagement is frankly ridiculous in the acceleration stakes..build quality is top notch..bearings are still like new. Only £110 pair at the moment..lighter than Hopes (have yet to find a hope product that weighs what its claimed) and without that deafening freehub noise. Mine are laced to ZTR Olympics w/supercomps.
  • stubs
    stubs Posts: 5,001
    A mate bought himself a pair of the Switch XC wheels from superstar. They are the cheaper version of the hubs your looking at but they are well built and after 3 soggy months of hard use they are running sweet and straight.

edit: Just looked on the superstar site and they have got some cracking wheel bargains. Thinking of buying these for a spare set £150 how can you go wrong
    http://superstar.tibolts.co.uk/product_info.php?cPath=40&products_id=227
    Fig rolls: proof that god loves cyclists and that she wants us to do another lap
  • Duffer
    Duffer Posts: 379
    stubs wrote:
    edit: Just looked on the superstar site and they have got some cracking wheel bargains. Thinking of buying these for a spare set £150 how can you go wrong
    http://superstar.tibolts.co.uk/product_info.php?cPath=40&products_id=227

That's the ones i was looking at. Either those, or the more expensive ones with the Mavic 717 rims.
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    The standard Superstar wheels use DT plain guage spokes. I'd enquire about a build with DT Comp double butted spokes, will save 100g and have a better wheel.
  • strodey
    strodey Posts: 481
    I've had pro II hubs for ages and love em! cant comment on the superstars but....

...........you learn to love the noise a pro II makes!
    Carbon is a mans best freind
  • llamafarmer
    llamafarmer Posts: 1,893
    I am very tempted by the Superleggera XC Pro wheelset, wheels are next on my list for the Anthem and I'd pretty much settled on Hope Hoops, but I'm swaying... Nice and light and 120 point engagement sounds gooooood. As long as they can do me some with black spokes!
  • M1llh0use
    M1llh0use Posts: 863
    have been looking at them myself!

might be getting a set and selling on the crossrides...

my only concern though is about how strong the hub is, i;ve read about having to get it rebuilt after a few months :?
    {insert smartarse comment here}
  • Personally i've been looking at these for my P7..
    http://superstar.tibolts.co.uk/product_ ... cts_id=108

Whats 1900g like for a strong set of wheels? or would they be overkill for the P7?
  • stubs
    stubs Posts: 5,001
    I am very tempted by the Superleggera XC Pro wheelset, wheels are next on my list for the Anthem and I'd pretty much settled on Hope Hoops, but I'm swaying... Nice and light and 120 point engagement sounds gooooood. As long as they can do me some with black spokes!

email them they will do any build you want but black spokes cost £25 extra I already asked
    Fig rolls: proof that god loves cyclists and that she wants us to do another lap
  • llamafarmer
    llamafarmer Posts: 1,893
    stubs wrote:
    email them they will do any build you want but black spokes cost £25 extra I already asked

Cheers stubs. It's got to be black spokes, £25 seems a little steep though :(

Actually they've been giving my mate a club discount because he's been bulk ordering brake pads, so I might be able to swing something there....
  • invader
    invader Posts: 29
    Just laced a front 15mm front switch hub to a Sun eq 2.3, simply smooth and light weight for such a hub.
    Just ordered the rear switvh to replace the crappy deore at the back !