Cleated Cycling Shoes - How Many Do You Own

ThreeLionsBrian
ThreeLionsBrian Posts: 134
edited January 2010 in The bottom bracket
I know we all colllect lots of clobber for use in every conceivable type of weather, but how many pairs of cleated Mountain or Road does one own. I now have 6 pairs :lol: What's the norm. Just curious i am not interested in the cost or quality of the shoes, just wondered how many some have on the go.

Comments

• clanton
    clanton Posts: 1,289
    4. A good set for road, a good set for MTB. An old MTb/now commuting set and a set of winter boots.
  • Four pairs - race shoes, training shoes, commuting shoes and spare commuting shoes (used when commuting shoes are drying off).
  • 2 replies and not a mention of sandals :o .

i've got road shoes, training shoes road + an old pair(should be in the bin) MB pair good and a everyday oddments pair and finally my favourite the sandals!

Surely someone has a collection to outdo his missus, i got no chance :lol:
  • Cheshley
    Cheshley Posts: 1,448
    one pair that gets used for MTB and Road riding. Size 50 so I'm pretty limited in what fits!!!!
    1998 Marin Hawk Hill
    2008 Specialized FSR XC Comp
    2008 Scott Speedster S30 FB

SLOW RIDES FOR UNFIT PEOPLE - Find us on Facebook or in the MTB Rides section of this forum.
  • BeaconRuth
    BeaconRuth Posts: 2,086
    This question arose with a good cycling friend of mine a while back and I realised it's an issue of some embarrassment for me. He said he has 9 pairs of cycling shoes, all in regular use for one reason or another.

I've only ever owned 3 pairs, having used cleated cycling shoes for all my cycling for the last 15 years - I'm guessing that's in the region of 100,000 miles in total, so about 33,000 miles per pair of shoes. My shoes don't owe me anything when I've finished with them! :oops:

Ruth
  • nickwill
    nickwill Posts: 2,735
    One pair, and I'll replace them when they have worn out!
  • Barteos
    Barteos Posts: 657
    edited January 2010
    1... for both mtb and road
  • majormantra
    majormantra Posts: 2,094
    1. Crappy SPD shoes for when I'm staying at the parents' house.
    2. Nicer everday SPD shoes.
    3. Nice road shoes.

Matthew
  • 3x Road shoes, 1x MTB shoes. May get another set of MTB shoes, and use the old pair solely for commuting though.
  • Cheshley has girls feet! 4 pairs of road shoes one of cross all size 52.
  • four - offroad (specialized pro), road (shimano somethingorother carbon sole jobs), winter boots (shimano) and a pair for the hire bikes at the NCC (cheapo wiggle dhb jobs).
  • redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    2 pairs of Lidls bargain bucket shoes and a pair of Lake winter boots that haven't had much use in the last 12 months, if any. Looking for another pair of cheap shoes for the commute with velcro straps as asking work colleagues to tie my laces everyday gets embarrasing :oops:
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • Cheshley
    Cheshley Posts: 1,448
    brownbosh wrote:
    Cheshley has girls feet! 4 pairs of road shoes one of cross all size 52.

Nice one!!!!! What do you have?
    1998 Marin Hawk Hill
    2008 Specialized FSR XC Comp
    2008 Scott Speedster S30 FB

SLOW RIDES FOR UNFIT PEOPLE - Find us on Facebook or in the MTB Rides section of this forum.
  • Summer MTB shoes
    Winter MTB BOOTS
    One pair of nice road shoes (covered in overshoes November - March)
  • chrisw12
    chrisw12 Posts: 1,246
    I have one road pair which I wear as much as I possibly can. I have a pair of mtb shoes and another road pair but I can only wear my favourites, so the others have very little use. I even put road pedals on my mtb so I could use them.

Does anyone else have trouble riding in different shoes (to their normal/favourite pair)? I do, it just feels so wrong when I ride in other shoes.
  • NWLondoner
    NWLondoner Posts: 2,047
    I now have 2 pairs 8)

1 for Summer Sidi Genius 5.5 CC size 44 Steel / White
    1 for Winter Sidi Genius 5.5 CC size 45 Steel / Titanium
  • very grubby sidi for my road bike with look keo
    and a pair of cheap specialized spds for my fixed
  • 1 pair of nice road shoes
  • hopper1
    hopper1 Posts: 4,389
    6 (six!)...
    2 blingy white Sidi's (road), 2 Shimano (road) & 2 Shimano MTB.
    Need some boots, though! :roll:
    Start with a budget, finish with a mortgage!
  • BeaconRuth wrote:
    This question arose with a good cycling friend of mine a while back and I realised it's an issue of some embarrassment for me. He said he has 9 pairs of cycling shoes, all in regular use for one reason or another.

I've only ever owned 3 pairs, having used cleated cycling shoes for all my cycling for the last 15 years - I'm guessing that's in the region of 100,000 miles in total, so about 33,000 miles per pair of shoes. My shoes don't owe me anything when I've finished with them! :oops:

Ruth
    :D

I was similar, running mine totally into the ground over many years.

Nowdays I have more shoes than I can wear since:
    1. I don't have a left foot anymore
    2. I'm sponsored by Bont and have shoes supplied (their track shoes are my favourite - they are the best I have ever used)
    3. anyone want a pair of brand new size 44 Bont shoes? Only one catch, they are both for the left foot :lol:
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    I am an utter out and out bike tart.

However, I have one pair of road shoes I've had since I started cycling and I have one pair of MTB shoes.

Dunno what happened there!
  • tlw1
    tlw1 Posts: 21,831
    getting worse...........

Pair of MTB for winter & one for best

One pair of road shoes, with another on the way from wiggle to match the new bike :)
  • Hi there.

5 pairs - 2 pairs of triathlon shoes with keo's, 1 pair of commuting shoes and 1 pair of mtb shoes - both of which I've just moved to egg beater cleats. Lastly one pair of old and smelly road shoes with deltas I keep around for occasional trips to the velodrome.

I've also got 6 pairs of running shoes that all get regular use... a pair of regular training shoes at home, another at the office, one pair of racing flats, one pair of triathlon racing flats, one pair of fell shoes and one really, really smelly pair of cross country spikes.

I'm thinking you can measure how seriously you're into a sport by how much footwear you've got for it... I've got 4 pairs of swimming goggles too...

Cheers, Andy
  • Garz
    Garz Posts: 1,155
  • 1 Pair of spiffy white Sidi Ergo 2s for best (racing, sportives or a dry day) and 1 pair of scummy spesh things in black for everything else.
    "In many ways, my story was that of a raging, Christ-like figure who hauled himself off the cross, looked up at the Romans with blood in his eyes and said 'My turn, sock cookers'"

@gietvangent
  • FCE2007
    FCE2007 Posts: 925
    6 (3 pairs :wink: ) Winter(SPD-SL), Summer(SPD-SL) and Commuting (SPD).