Old Campag Freehub Bodies

Big Dave
Big Dave Posts: 85
edited December 2009 in Workshop
This is going to sound like a 'thick' question to those in the know but have Campag changed the design of their freehub bodies in recent years?

I'm trying to convert an old Bianchi to a single speed. It used to run a full Mirage groupset but I can't get the spacer kit I've bought to fit onto the freehub. The spacer kit is made by Gusset (and is a nice bit of kit) and is apparently Campag compatible but seems to have been designed for a smaller and more deeply splined freehub body. The wheel I'm trying to fit the spacers onto is only about 5 1/2 to 6 years old.

There has been a lot of headscratching and swearing in the garage this morning so any answers would be gratefully received!

I ain't fat, merely optimised for gravity.

Comments

• yes they have changed, but can't remember when.
    off hand I think it was more than 10 years ago - but could be wrong
  • Sounds like Bianchi may have made up my bike with old stock in that case. Flaming Italians, I knew there was a reason all my other bikes have Shimano fitted...

I guess my next consideration is whether its worth me trying to install a newer freehub (if it will go on) or just ditch the back wheel altogether and buy a nice cheap Shimano compatible one. Its amazing how a seemingly cheap project can suddenly get pricey... bugger.

I ain't fat, merely optimised for gravity.
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    The spacer kit you have bought is for a Shimano freehub which is slightly smaller diameter than a Campagnolo freehub - I experienced a similar problem earlier this year trying to fit the same to a Campagnolo freehub. The spacer kit is made for MTBs and the numbties don't understand there are other freehub makes about.

FWIW Campagnolo changed their freehubs about 1996 with the introduction of 9 speed - they've been the same ever since.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..