Speed camera meets Hampshire's Unibomber

downfader
downfader Posts: 3,686
edited January 2010 in The bottom bracket
:shock:

http://www.thisishampshire.net/news/482 ... destroyed/

Funny how all the detractors have said they have been caught speeding (on there or on other stories) :lol: I do love the curry comment though! :lol:

Comments

• skyd0g
    skyd0g Posts: 2,540
    ...'you were only supposed to blow the bl00dy lens off!' :wink:
    caine_michael003.jpg
    Cycling weakly
  • downfader
    skyd0g wrote:
    ...'you were only supposed to blow the bl00dy lens off!' :wink:
    caine_michael003.jpg
    :lol:
  • mingmong
    mingmong Posts: 542
    Tenuous reply:

Audrey-Hepburn-My_l.jpg

"In Hertford, Hereford and Hampshire, (h)exothermic chemical reactions hardly ever happen"
  • Barteos
    Barteos Posts: 657
    Families of the speeding accidents victims must be laughing their heads off, too.
  • Pokerface
    Pokerface Posts: 7,960
    Barteos wrote:
    Families of the speeding accidents victims must be laughing their heads off, too.
    :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:
  • skyd0g
    skyd0g Posts: 2,540
    edited January 2010
    Pokerface wrote:
    Barteos wrote:

*sigh*
    @ Barteos. If you haven't sussed that speed cameras are Gov't Cash Machines yet... :roll:
    Cycling weakly
  • bagpusscp
    bagpusscp Posts: 2,907
    If you don't speed you don't get the points/fine. Why is everybody in a hurry to get to the next jam :?
    bagpuss
  • Some local hotheads did the same in whitehaven a couple of years ago.. Well, it was slightly less finessed, they hit it with a stick until it fell down then set it on fire. Ug.
    "In many ways, my story was that of a raging, Christ-like figure who hauled himself off the cross, looked up at the Romans with blood in his eyes and said 'My turn, sock cookers'"

@gietvangent
  • Cressers
    Cressers Posts: 1,329
    Well good for the bombers I say!

Now to work on all of the other spying, prying CCTV cameras...
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    I'm with speed cameras to be honest - if it slows tossers down - then its a good thing. They've never bothered me - but I've had many close shaves with speeding drivers.
  • teagar
    teagar Posts: 2,100
    skyd0g wrote:
    Pokerface wrote:
    Barteos wrote:

*sigh*
    @ Barteos. If you haven't sussed that speed cameras are Gov't Cash Machines yet... :roll:

Wasn't it a while ago on top gear that they announced that Simon Cowel's tax bill was bigger than the annual revenue from speed cameras?
    Note: the above post is an opinion and not fact. It might be a lie.
  • Cunobelin
    Cunobelin Posts: 11,792
    Cressers wrote:
    Well good for the bombers I say!

Now to work on all of the other spying, prying CCTV cameras...

Yep - Good for the bombers
    <b><i>He that buys land buys many stones.
    He that buys flesh buys many bones.
    He that buys eggs buys many shells,
    But he that buys good beer buys nothing else.</b></i>
    (Unattributed Trad.)
  • antooony
    antooony Posts: 177
    bagpusscp wrote:
    If you don't speed you don't get the points/fine. Why is everybody in a hurry to get to the next jam :?

I have the same train of thought. Yes I've been caught by a camera once, serves me right, I was speeding, no excuses. I can never accept this lame attitude people have that its fine to speed but then gripe and moan like hell when they get caught.

I admit the placing of some cameras is a bit dubious, though the police and local authorities will always defend their reasons and state its for safety not money but it still doesn't excuse speeding. Strikes me as pathetic what some people will do to a speed camera, whats the point? It'll be replaced and at what cost? Ours in the long run.

How many times has some oik in a crappy saxo buzzed past you doing 50mph in a 30 zone and you'd wished there was a speed camera or a traffic cop with a speed gun up the road?
  • Pokerface
    Pokerface Posts: 7,960
    If it wasn't about money, then I'd say - put more speed cameras out there, give people the points when they caught and take their licences away when they get 12 points. Same system as now, just without the fines!

I've been caught a few times by speed cameras, mostly while not paying attention, and always less than 10 miles over the limit. Still sucks.
  • antooony
    antooony Posts: 177
    Pokerface wrote:
    If it wasn't about money, then I'd say - put more speed cameras out there, give people the points when they caught and take their licences away when they get 12 points. Same system as now, just without the fines!.

You've hit the nail on the head there. The punishment should be more about the points rather than the fine though I guess they'll say fine covers the cost of cameras, administration and running costs.
  • downfader
    My own view is that the authorities should remove the fines. Take it down to 9 points then it really is 3 strikes and you're out - 12 month ban. I've slowly come to that little theory when a lad at work was bragging about the speeds he got caught at on his motorcycle (the only speeding motorcyclist I have ever really known) but it was "alright, I can just pay my way out of it and wait for the ban to pass"
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    I've no problems with cctv cameras either - I've nothing to hide. More cameras I say and use the ones that alert when an unlicensed driver goes past too.
  • downfader
    cougie wrote:
    I've no problems with cctv cameras either - I've nothing to hide. More cameras I say and use the ones that alert when an unlicensed driver goes past too.

My gripe with CCTV is that conviction rates from "evidence" recorded on it is often naff at best. Atleast invest in 1 camera that records a decent image rather than 150 substandard ones.
  • Barteos
    Barteos Posts: 657
    skyd0g wrote:
    Pokerface wrote:
    Barteos wrote:

*sigh*

The simplest way of sabotaging the "Cash Machine" would be to drive within the speed limit :)
    no speeding=no money flowing
  • Cunobelin
    Cunobelin Posts: 11,792
    Barteos wrote:

The simplest way of sabotaging the "Cash Machine" would be to drive within the speed limit :)
    no speeding=no money flowing

Don't be naive.

You know that censuring motorists for being unable to drive is naughty and unacceptable whereas terrorism by a nutter like this is perfectly reasonable.
    <b><i>He that buys land buys many stones.
    He that buys flesh buys many bones.
    He that buys eggs buys many shells,
    But he that buys good beer buys nothing else.</b></i>
    (Unattributed Trad.)