2010 sportives in striking distance of London......

CAB SLC
CAB SLC Posts: 34
trying to get myself organise ahead of 2010..... so can anybody reccomend any decent sportives preferablly ahead of July that are within a couple hours (driving!!) of London?

Thanks CAB
Cervelo - aero tubing looks awesome but i am sure it makes bugger all differnce to performance!

Comments

• NWLondoner
    NWLondoner Posts: 2,047
    Well the Chiltern 100 is not too far from London.

Also many in S London that take i the North/South downs

Where are you located??
  • Why not do a few Audaxes They are cheaper, more of them, less crowded. OK you'll have to read a map and a route sheet but it's not hard.
    Neil
    Help I'm Being Oppressed
  • NWLondoner
    NWLondoner Posts: 2,047
    Forgot to say. The Chiltern reliability ride series is local to London by car as well.

Pay on the day, around £2/£5 fee.
  • sherer
    sherer Posts: 2,460
    not sure where abouts you are but go onto cyclosport.org and look up the events on there.

Plenty on Surrey and Kent which is where I do all my events.
  • NWLondoner wrote:
    Well the Chiltern 100 is not too far from London.

Also many in S London that take i the North/South downs

Where are you located??

In west london - where the m4 hits the north circular

Thanks CAB
    Cervelo - aero tubing looks awesome but i am sure it makes bugger all differnce to performance!
  • thanks for the link sherer.
  • bobtbuilder
    bobtbuilder Posts: 1,537
    Southern Sportive run an occassional Sunday series in Sussex, Surrey, Hampshire that would be reachable for you.

Here's a link: http://www.southernsportive.com/?go=sunday
  • From west london the Highclere sportive and the Anthony Maynard Sportive are both near Reading and are very good.
  • SRS events sportive 21 March, @ Burgess Hill. Top ride last year
  • SRS events sportive 21 March, @ Burgess Hill. Top ride last year

Thanks my parents live quite close by so that would make a lot of sense. How many people normally participate in these events.

Thanks
  • IIRC this was a 500 person event (the 71 miler anyway)
  • bobtbuilder
    bobtbuilder Posts: 1,537
    CAB SLC wrote:
    SRS events sportive 21 March, @ Burgess Hill. Top ride last year

Thanks my parents live quite close by so that would make a lot of sense. How many people normally participate in these events.

Thanks

These usually sell out and IIRC there are no entries on the day, so get yours early if you want to guarantee yourself a place.
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    There's also the Surrey Rumble organised by Twickenham CC in March.
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • Try Magnificat at Newbury Racecourse on Sunday 13th June. One hour out out of London, so should be ideal 4 u.

I'll be there.
  • Noclue
    Noclue Posts: 503
    SRS events who organise the Burgess hill sportives are running 4 this year all from Burgess hill, March, May, June and August i think.