C02 pumps

thunderousass
thunderousass Posts: 34
edited January 2010 in Road beginners
I'm after some advice about C02 pumps and normal pumps really.

Not having any experience with C02 pumps or road minipumps for that matter, will an individual cartridge inflate a a normal road tyre up to 120psi or would I have to use two or finish by hand pump.

I'm trying to work out what would be best to carry on my next sportive/race/ride.

Would it be possible to carry and get away with just a C02 pump with either one or two canisters, no mini hand pump back up?

Or....would I require to carry a minipump as well?

Or...do I just carry a minipump something like the Lezyne pressure drive in either Medium or small and forget the C02?

I'm trying to work out what to purchase but weight and speed of inflation are the main concerns I think.

So depending on advice given the two pumps I'm looking at are minipump the Lezyne Pressure Drive meduim (slightly larger and heavier but I suppose would be quicker and easier than the small version).
And C02 possibly the the Specialized CO2 Airtool cpro2?

Advice greatfully recieved :)
'If you worry you die, if you don't worry you still die, so why worry?"

Comments

• Smokin Joe
    Smokin Joe Posts: 2,706
    You can get combined hand/Co2 pumps. I like to start with the hand pump to get the tyre seated on the rim and make sure the tube isn't trapped before I zap it with the gas. This way a 12gm cartridge will also get a 23mm tyre up to full pressure.

I wouldn't be without a Co2 inflator, it gets you away again very quickly after a puncture, you don't want to be faffing about too long when it's cold and wet (Sod's law dictates thiat's when nearly all punctures occur).
  • skyd0g
    skyd0g Posts: 2,540
    A single CO2 canister should be enough to inflate a single road tyre to 120psi (with some to spare).

Personally, I prefer to carry a Leyzne mini pump - just because it never runs out of air (so long as your arm holds out)! Which for a similar weight & bulk to a CO2 plus a couple of canisters is the safer alternatve if you get a slow or multiple visits from the p-fairy. :wink:
    Cycling weakly
  • alfablue
    alfablue Posts: 8,497
    Agree with Smokin, I got a Planet-X combi pump/inflator, the pump is invaluable to get the tube round for insertion, a single 12g cartridge does the rest, but if you have a very bad day and all the gas is gone, you can still get "get you home" pressure with the pump (not easiliy, but doable).

I have a 12g cylinder inside my FSA hollow chainset axle with a bar-end plug, and a second cyclinder in the saddle pack.

I wouldn't consider riding any distance without a pump as backup.
  • Scrumple
    Scrumple Posts: 2,665
    Get an air chuck, some foam covers, some gas

and a Lezyne pressure drive / road drive as you prefer.

simples. Bests.
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    I only carry CO2 when I know there's a degree of external support - in a roadrace if you puncture it's usually game over - the gas is just to get you back to the HQ. For training I carry a quality frame fit pump - IME the only thing that's 100% reliable and gets the tyre to a decent pressure - a lot of mini pumps are frankly bike ornaments incapable of reaching 60psi.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • Hey guys thanks for all the advice and the links, like your idea alfablue ref the spare canister in your FSA hollow chainset axle with a bar-end plug. :D

For speed then C02, for weight, not a lot in it.

Righto of to go and scratch my head and make my decision.
    'If you worry you die, if you don't worry you still die, so why worry?"
  • bigal.
    bigal. Posts: 479
    I have a Bontrager CO2 + Mini pump unit bought form my local bike shop. It holds 2 CO2 cannisters which are used by screwing onto one side of the mini pump and then you can control the amount of pressure you are putting into your tyre. The mini pump also works as a standard pump and all of this fits under you bottle cage.

Great idea.

http://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://cdn.media.cyclingnews.com/2009/08/24/1/trek_world_bontrager_air_rush_road_600.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.cyclingnews.com/features/photos/bontrager-steps-it-up-for-2010/84750&usg=__61no9Upuy6iM04GHgr6ek3slVv4=&h=600&w=450&sz=41&hl=en&start=8&um=1&tbnid=d-TRCF513dkkQM:&tbnh=135&tbnw=101&prev=/images%3Fq%3Dbontrager%2Bpump%26hl%3Den%26rlz%3D1B3DVFB_en-GB___GB356%26sa%3DN%26um%3D1
  • GavH
    GavH Posts: 933
    I've actually been considering replacing my CO2 carts for a mini pump like this one:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=390135839302&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

Can anyone recommend or am I better off with the CO2?
  • Smokin Joe
    Smokin Joe Posts: 2,706
    Quote from the blurb - "This pump is rated to 160psi".

Just be clear that while that claim on the manufacturers description is legally correct, it is highly misleading. The pressure rating is what the pump itself will hold without blowing itself apart, not what it is capable of putting in your tyres.

You'd be lucky to get half of that in.
  • rake
    rake Posts: 3,204
    wheres all the environmentalists on here, using co2 to pump tyres up?????? what about the greenhouse.
  • NWLondoner
    NWLondoner Posts: 2,047
    rake wrote:
    wheres all the environmentalists on here, using co2 to pump tyres up?????? what about the greenhouse.

Have you seen the bloody snow thats been falling this winter. Let it get warmer and melt all the sodding stuff :twisted:
  • bigal.
    bigal. Posts: 479
    GavH- I have one of these pumps and although it is a good little pump I would love to meet the man/woman who can get 160psi out of it.

It like lots of other pumps are fine for getting you home but it will not get your tyre up to the pressure of a CO2 canister.

You may get 120psi out of some of these mimi pumps but it will take you an eternity and you will need to lie down afterwards for a rest.