noisy new chain...

mclarent
mclarent Posts: 784
edited December 2009 in Workshop
Hi all - this counts as a basic question, however...

I just changed my chain on my hack for the first time, from the SRAM PC951 that came with it to a Shimano HG93. Despite the fact that the Shimano is narrower (according to google), I have a very clunky noise from the chain. Have I judged wrong on compatibility? If so, should I just go back to a PC951? or is there a better alternative in the same price bracket?

Oh, and it's running on a black 105 rig, though couldn't tell you the year / number.

Thanks!!
"And the Lord said unto Cain, 'where is Abel thy brother?' And he said, 'I know not: I dropped him on the climb up to the motorway bridge'."
- eccolafilosofiadelpedale

Comments

• benpinnick
    benpinnick Posts: 4,148
    As a rule they are interchangeable... more info pls. How old is the old chain/Spockets?
    A Flock of Birds
    + some other bikes.
  • mclarent
    mclarent Posts: 784
    The old chain was on since I bought it (second hand) at the start of the summer (May?), as was the crankset. Guessing it was pretty worn in. The cassette I had about a year, but it's my spare wheels so has only been used for 1/2 that time at most I would guess.
    "And the Lord said unto Cain, 'where is Abel thy brother?' And he said, 'I know not: I dropped him on the climb up to the motorway bridge'."
    - eccolafilosofiadelpedale
  • well you know what they say - SHIMANO is extremely noisey !
  • gundersen wrote:
    well you know what they say - SHIMANO is extremely noisey !

And S H I T
    Expertly coached by http://www.vitessecyclecoaching.co.uk/

http://vineristi.wordpress.com - the blog for Viner owners and lovers!
  • sungod
    sungod Posts: 16,532
    6 months use would be plenty of time for chain and cassete to wear

is the chain skipping on the most-used sprockets when you push hard?
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • I have to say that I've got a 9 speed DA chain and its perfectly quiet.

My only experience of Sram chains were they didn't shift to well and they were nosier.

Having said that, a lot of people really rate them on here so go figure.