LoUiS1985
LoUiS1985 Posts: 841
edited January 2010 in MTB buying advice
Hi all,

Looking at gettin a wheelset built up. For a decent enough price i can get:

ZTR 355 rims
ZTR hubs
super-comp spokes

What are people thoughts on the ZTR hubs?? anybody own them?? how have they held up? is the freehub noisy?
Are they similar to Hope Pro 2's as they're a similar price, i just can't get on with the loud clicky freehub of Hopes

Also what are peoples thoughts of the wheel builds from Just Riding Along??

Thanks in advance

Comments

• jairaj
    jairaj Posts: 3,009
    I almost bought a wheel set from Just ride along and people on here had good things to say. they are a little expensive but do a good job.
  • Yeah they are maybe a little expensive but i don't mind paying, if it's what i want!

Would just like some feedback on those ZTR hubs.... :?
  • I recently built some ZTR Olympics with Supercomps on DT 240s hubs.

The rims are brilliant - being light, stiff and, although my style of riding doesn't involve much air, they seem strong. The spokes are also excellent. Can't comment on the ZTR hubs though. Try the ZTR forum:

http://messageboard.notubes.com/
  • LoUiS1985
    I recently built some ZTR Olympics with Supercomps on DT 240s hubs.

The rims are brilliant - being light, stiff and, although my style of riding doesn't involve much air, they seem strong. The spokes are also excellent. Can't comment on the ZTR hubs though. Try the ZTR forum:

http://messageboard.notubes.com/

cheers for the info....will check the forum out!
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    Or just ask JRA, they should be able to give you an impartial opinion, Jon knows his stuff!

I suspect they'll be quite good, they're obviously just someone elses hubs rebranded, how wrong could they get them?!
  • LoUiS1985
    njee20 wrote:
    Or just ask JRA, they should be able to give you an impartial opinion, Jon knows his stuff!

I suspect they'll be quite good, they're obviously just someone elses hubs rebranded, how wrong could they get them?!

well maybe but as they're a big UK Stans dealer i thought an impartial opinion would probably be out of the question!

They more than likely are a re-branded hub, i just can't get on with the noise of the hope freehub!
  • njee20 wrote:

Seconded, call JRA on Monday. I've have several wheels off him and no complaints.

2 more to order next month as well
  • stu8975
    stu8975 Posts: 1,334
    Also check out the Alpine/Crest rim...sort of newer versions of the Olympic and 355 rims..lighter.
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    Yeah, but I don't think Jon's going to say 'they're the best thing ever', he'll just say what he thinks, they're not the lightest they're doing or anything, they're marketing them as a budget hub.

Ask the question, he may say 'they're great' he may say 'actually we're not gonna do them anymore because the freehubs are crap' (I know nothing about the freehubs, just saying!), either way, you're better informed than now!
  • LoUiS1985
    yeh i've emailed them like you said....i'll keep you updated on the response to try and shed some light on these (so far) unknown hubs!

Cheers Guys :wink: