Beginner: BeOne Aspire 2.0 2008 or GT Avalanche 3.0 2009

Lars_Bath
Lars_Bath Posts: 6
edited December 2009 in MTB buying advice
Hey there,

I'm new here and new to Mountain Biking. I'm thinking of getting a bike to cruise around across country as well as up and down hill to Uni. There are two bikes that I saw and really like but I'm not sure which one is better or is more suitable for me.

Firstly there is the BeOne Aspire 2.0:
http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mode ... elID=25442
(I hope I'm allowed to post links here ;))

I really like the looks of it (I know that's a bit criteria to judge on in the first place but unfortunately I don't understand the tiny differences in the parts). The only thing, would a 21" frame bike be big enough for a fairly tall, 20 year old guy?

The other bike is the GT Avalanche 3.0 2009:
http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mode ... elID=33981

There seem to be more detailed specs on that bike, not sure if that actually says the bike is better. The retail price of the BeOne bike is more expensive though. How big is a large frame? Just as big as a 21" frame or bigger?

Last question, could I fit road tires (width 1.85") on rimes that are 2.1" wide? Or do I need to get a new set of rims?

Thank you very much and any advice and opinion is appreciated :)
Happy New Year!!
Lars

Comments

• As i was told the other week frame size is down to the individual person and the bike itself u should really try a few 1st see whats comfy for you.

im not sure bout roadie tyres but i wudnt think you would need to buy new wheels just for tyres!

the choice of bike is upto you but IMO i would go for the gt as ive had 2 before and the quality was spot on!

hope i helped a bit :D
    CUBE ltd 2012,reba sl, XT, saint, DMR, spank, current xc/am ride

GIANT boulder, marzzochi EXR, LX/alivio, DMR, spank, retro build
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    There isn't much in the specs to be honest.

As a newcomer, I'd look what your local shops have to offer, as the service they provide could come in very handy (sizing, servicng, build, after sales etc)
  • Hey
    Thanks a lot for your reply.
    So you would say that the GT is better quality although the specs may be better at the BeOne? Or why would the RRP be higher?

Thank you :)
  • supersonic
    RRP is just that.

There is nothing in the specs to seperate hem really.
  • so which one would you recommend and why? :p
    Cheers :)
  • supersonic
    I'd recommend visiting a shop and trying them out lol.
  • coming back to the local shops:

Unfortunately I come from Bath and things are quite expensive there:( I normal road bike (the cheapest one they had) was 150 quid.
  • some other opinions there?
    Happy New Year !
  • asdfhjkl
    asdfhjkl Posts: 333
    Lars_Bath wrote:
    coming back to the local shops:

Unfortunately I come from Bath and things are quite expensive there:( I normal road bike (the cheapest one they had) was 150 quid.

Check out your local halfords. The entry level Carrera bikes (Carrera Vulcan and Carrera Vengeance) offer a reasonably good spec for a similar price as the two you asked about. You'll be able to try them out for size instore.