Removing Laquered-over decals?

thel33ter
thel33ter Posts: 2,684
edited December 2009 in Workshop
I recently got some really nice carbon forks that have a big, horrible avocadoy green sticker on each leg. I can't just peel them off as they are lacquered over. Is there any way to get rid of them without leaving an ugly mark on the legs?
And now you know, and knowing is half the battle
05 Spesh Enduro Expert
05 Trek 1000 Custom build
Speedily Singular Thingy

Comments

• You could probably do it with wet sanding...but you'd have to be brave and careful! You would also then need to lacquer the forks again afterwards (preferably put them in the oven between coats, which with forks would be tricky!) and then polish them several times. The finish probably still wouldn't be as durable as the orginal finish unfortunately. Personally I wouldn't try.
  • balthazar
    balthazar Posts: 1,565
    How about sticking some high gloss black fablon precisely over the shapes. Done carefully, it will look decent quality, and causes no damage.
  • Very, very carefully wet sand, with super-fine grade paper, just the edges of the decals to be removed. Warm the decals, then peel off. Re-lacquer with a few coats to build it back up to original finish. - choose your lacquer carefully to avoid damage to the carbon

Not a job I would want to do for fear of wrecking the forks (cosmetically or structurally)
    Recipe: shave legs sparingly, rub in embrocation and drizzle with freshly squeezed baby oil.
  • thel33ter wrote:
    Is there any way to get rid of them without leaving an ugly mark on the legs?

Without getting rid of the forks?
  • tomsdad
    tomsdad Posts: 221
    there is a thread on workshop re painting a planet x some good advice on there