Do you fancy a photo/snapshot challenge for 2010?

John Moore
John Moore Posts: 580
edited January 2010 in The bottom bracket
Do you fancy a photo/snapshot challenge for 2010?

One Photo A Day is a group on Flickr where people take one photo every day and post it up for all to see and comment on. Sounds simple doesn’t it? Well having just about finished our first year of this project in 2009, we are now letting you know that people are now signing up to this free group to take part and join in. It's fun and you'll be amazed at just how much fun it is getting inspired by other's photos, and as you also share in the emotional highs and lows of a small group of friends experiences too.

we are at http://www.flickr.com/groups/onephotoeveryday/pool/
Take a look and if you want to join in, we’d love to have you in our group.
Be warned it is hard to come up with fresh ideas every day, but they don’t have to be masterpieces and I should know. Out of the 95 members we currently have, only 4 of us have managed to complete this task in full, but we don’t mind if you pop in and out from time to time.

Each month we have a mini vote to see who will have their shot used in the pool icon for the following month. So far I’ve not won but I’m not bitter (much)

Personally for me it’s been a very emotional year especially since September but here are my 362 photos so far and to give you an idea of what we are on about and which I’m getting put into a one off book for my own printed record in the New Year
http://www.flickr.com/photos/25655510@N ... 202073656/

Comments

• cathald
    cathald Posts: 105
    Just signed up so will give it a go in the new year

Cathal
  • I'm just not organised enough to keep something like that up - but here's a photo that I took while out and about today - it sort of struck a chord with me...

2009_1226Various0006.JPG
  • mkirby
    mkirby Posts: 365
    shame i dont have a digital camera. and i cant process my 120 roll in that time :)

Looks good though
  • cathald
    mkirby wrote:
    shame i dont have a digital camera. and i cant process my 120 roll in that time :)

Looks good though

No problem using 120 film just post up 12 shots at a time for the 12 days
  • skyd0g
    skyd0g Posts: 2,540
    cathald wrote:
    mkirby wrote:

Looks good though

...whether it's 12 shots at a time would depend on the format of his 120 camera... 6x4.5, 6x6, 6x7 etc. :wink:
    ...geeze, I must be bored or particularly pedantic...
    ...or both! :shock:
    Cycling weakly
  • downfader
    downfader Posts: 3,686
    skyd0g wrote:
    cathald wrote:
    mkirby wrote:

Looks good though

...whether it's 12 shots at a time would depend on the format of his 120 camera... 6x4.5, 6x6, 6x7 etc. :wink:
    ...geeze, I must be bored or particularly pedantic...
    ...or both! :shock:

Or he could even be using it 6x12 and 6x17 in a LF camera, now that WOULD be dedication 8)
  • Bloody hell, waht are you lot on about?

What about a photo a day?
  • downfader
    John Moore wrote:
    Bloody hell, waht are you lot on about?

Film my lad, you know, what you load into REAL cameras :wink:
    (Says the man with the D3 :oops: )
  • cathald
    downfader wrote:
    John Moore wrote:
    Bloody hell, waht are you lot on about?

Film my lad, you know, what you load into REAL cameras :wink:
    (Says the man with the D3 :oops: )

Now your just showing off saying you have a D3
  • mkirby
    mkirby Posts: 365
    Or he could even be using it 6x12 and 6x17 in a LF camera, now that WOULD be dedication

The weight of the camera plus tripod plus ballast would be too much for my poor pack mule. He has enough trouble with my pentax 645 and mamiya 6x7.

My mate has a Mamiya RZ67 with the new 56MP :shock: DM digital back. Wonder if she will let me play with it .
  • downfader
    mkirby wrote:
    Or he could even be using it 6x12 and 6x17 in a LF camera, now that WOULD be dedication

The weight of the camera plus tripod plus ballast would be too much for my poor pack mule. He has enough trouble with my pentax 645 and mamiya 6x7.

My mate has a Mamiya RZ67 with the new 56MP :shock: DM digital back. Wonder if she will let me play with it .

Loverly. :P I looked at getting a 'back but £12k was a bit over my budget. :oops: Took me 2 years to save to get the D3 as it was. :lol:

Sorry.. we're dragging this offtopic
  • Sounds like fun - only decision is to what to use - the point'n'shoot, the Blackberry or drag a Canon 1D around with me. Talking of which, have you guys seen the ISO rating on the mkIV? 102,400 - you what?!?!?!?!?! I justified the mkIII but at £4500 I may have to wait a while for the mk IV :(
  • downfader
    Sounds like fun - only decision is to what to use - the point'n'shoot, the Blackberry or drag a Canon 1D around with me. Talking of which, have you guys seen the ISO rating on the mkIV? 102,400 - you what?!?!?!?!?! I justified the mkIII but at £4500 I may have to wait a while for the mk IV :(

Had I not the nikon glass I would have so saved up for a top end Canon. My D3 will take a picture in virtual darkness handheld on a 50mm 1.8! I think thats PRETTY amazing!
  • Glass is always the deciding factor. I've noticed that Canon 50mm prime is now an f1.4 - black cat in coal cellar time?
  • skyd0g
    Glass is always the deciding factor. I've noticed that Canon 50mm prime is now an f1.4 - black cat in coal cellar time?

The lens is not always the limiting factor - it is only one of three controllable factors for any given situation: ie. Lens, Film speed and shutter duration, or in the case of digital cameras, lens, ccd sensitivity and shutter speed.

I used to have a Pentax with an f1.4 prime (they had an f1.2 available at a price!) together with TMax3200 pushed one or two stops to take low light shots without the use of flash.
    Cycling weakly
  • Looks good, I'll give it a bash - I've been threatening to get busy on Flickr for a while now.
    My Mrs is big into it and her Canon 5D, DS and D400. I make do these days with a Fuji half SLR and my C905 cameraphone. -Its decent enough for my decisive moment tastes and I got fed up of pootling round looking like I'd ram raided Jessops. I rarely use the big cameras these days unless its a dedicated go out to take photographs day.

Rolls of Film, Pah - I once had a go with a glass plate camera 10 x 8 of nostalgic bliss and much preferred sheet cameras for planned or set up shots. I reduced a hotel manager to tears with my 5x4 camera many years ago scampering about the 6th floor balcony of the Midland Hotel photographing the GMex. I was out for about an hour hanging over the edge fettling the lens and generally admiring the view. When I came back in she was white as a sheet and shaking, she'd just come back off sick after showing a guest into an adjacent room to mine only to watch him open the window step onto the balcony and chuck himself off.
  • skyd0g wrote:
    Glass is always the deciding factor. I've noticed that Canon 50mm prime is now an f1.4 - black cat in coal cellar time?

The lens is not always the limiting factor - it is only one of three controllable factors for any given situation: ie. Lens, Film speed and shutter duration, or in the case of digital cameras, lens, ccd sensitivity and shutter speed.

I used to have a Pentax with an f1.4 prime (they had an f1.2 available at a price!) together with TMax3200 pushed one or two stops to take low light shots without the use of flash.

Soz - I should have said in deciding whether or not to jump body ship as Downfader menioned moving to a Canon. As a semi-pro photographer I am all too aware of the 3 variables involved, f-stop being just one of them!
  • skyd0g
    skyd0g wrote:

Soz - I should have said in deciding whether or not to jump body ship as Downfader menioned moving to a Canon. As a semi-pro photographer I am all too aware of the 3 variables involved, f-stop being just one of them!

Nah, it's me who should be apologising. I'm getting increasingly pedantic and grouchy and in need to go out for a ride, but the weather has been lousy. :cry:
    The scenery on the rollers is getting rather mundane. :wink:
    Cycling weakly
  • This is one I followed a couple of years ago.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/fuschia_fo ... 669237813/

She's not at all obsessed with the technical intricacies of making a photograph, unlike many amateurs with fancy equipment – just uses an Apple iPhone – but she has the most inportant thing IMO, a good eye for an image... not every day of course, but every so often there are gems of colour or composition.
  • prawny
    prawny Posts: 5,439
    This is one I followed a couple of years ago.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/fuschia_fo ... 669237813/

She's not at all obsessed with the technical intricacies of making a photograph, unlike many amateurs with fancy equipment – just uses an Apple iPhone – but she has the most inportant thing IMO, a good eye for an image... not every day of course, but every so often there are gems of colour or composition.

And she shows you her pants, result :wink:
    Saracen Tenet 3 - 2015 - Dead - Replaced with a Hack Frame
    Voodoo Bizango - 2014 - Dead - Hit by a car
    Vitus Sentier VRS - 2017
  • Most of my shots have been taken with my camera phone as I couldn't be arsed dragging the bulky camera out with me from day to day.

Here's my final "shot" of the year made up with my favorite shot of each month
    091231My2009Highlights-Copy.jpg

After such a crap year for me I can't wait for 2010......
  • cathald
    Here is the start of mine,heading out on a landscape shoot early tomorrow and hope to get something decent

http://www.flickr.com/photos/cathald/se ... 989968387/

I dont know how to make the link into just ''my 365''so then I could put it on my signature