DIY energy bar - recipes anyone?

AndyRubio
AndyRubio Posts: 880
I love my GO bars cos they're tasty(-ish) and have almost no fat in them. But at £1 a piece I prefer to use them only on special occassions.

For training rides I've been using supermarket scones and/or flapjacks but they're packed fulla lard.

I'd like to make my own I think but need a recipe, Google hasn't given me what I need. Can anyone help me here?

Cheers,
Andy

Comments

• Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5UiuqIWGe_s

Dr. Allen Lim's legendary rice cakes!
  • nice one ta

Andy
  • Bhima
    Bhima Posts: 2,145
    Making your own flapjacks is mega-cheap. The fat in them would slow down digestion, but if you're timing your eating correctly, you should be eating the flapjacks early on for slow-release energy anyway, so it shouldn't be an issue.
  • BeaconRuth
    BeaconRuth Posts: 2,086
    AndyRubio wrote:
    For training rides I've been using supermarket scones and/or flapjacks but they're packed fulla lard.
    Why don't you buy supermarket stuff that isn't full of lard then? Malt loaf and jaffa cakes spring to mind. I bet you can't make anything as cheap, readily available and effective.

Ruth
  • DomPro
    DomPro Posts: 321
    Christmas pudding.
    Shazam !!
  • BeaconRuth wrote:
    Why don't you buy supermarket stuff that isn't full of lard then? Malt loaf and jaffa cakes spring to mind. I bet you can't make anything as cheap, readily available and effective.
    Ruth
    Yes indeed I've *used* both before, and in reality I'm never going to bake a load of flapjacks, it's hard enough to microwave a potato - so malt loaf and jaffa cakes it is!
  • sampras38
    sampras38 Posts: 1,917
    Bhima wrote:
    Making your own flapjacks is mega-cheap. The fat in them would slow down digestion, but if you're timing your eating correctly, you should be eating the flapjacks early on for slow-release energy anyway, so it shouldn't be an issue.

Agreed..

I tend to eat my solids at the beginning of Sportives when my system isn't under much stress. I'll drink fluids constantly and move to gels and energy drinks towards the middle to end as I can convert them to energy quicker. Solids take much longer so it makes sense to take solids on board very early.
  • JimmyK
    JimmyK Posts: 712
    i dont buy into consuming energy bars philosophy at all, ive never found that they make a difference for me. Good breakfast, hearty lunch , couple of hours digestion and i am good to go. I bring isotonic drink and maybe a banana , but thats it.

Jimmy
  • rake
    rake Posts: 3,204
    edited December 2009
  • BeaconRuth
    AndyRubio wrote:
    Yes indeed I've *used* both before, and in reality I'm never going to bake a load of flapjacks, it's hard enough to microwave a potato - so malt loaf and jaffa cakes it is!
    Another commonly-mentioned low-fat, high-carb snack is of course fig rolls. Personally I'm on custard creams at the moment after realising that these are the most fantastic food in the whole wide world when I bonked badly a few weeks back and had to make an emergency stop at a village shop. Custard creams and a can of coke were my saviours and the magic of custard creams is still with me. Not exactly low-fat but I reckon I need a few extra calories on long rides in the middle of winter.

[off-topic alert] Andy - I can't believe you spent an hour on the 4th plinth on a turbo trainer!!!!! :shock: :shock: :shock: Doesn't look like you were putting your back into any 2x20s or anything. Wierdly I was talking to my brother about a friend of his who was on the 4th plinth too........ two people I've heard of in the last 2 days, having not spoken to anyone about the 4th plinth ever before....... spooky. Good work, though, mate. Shame about the black socks. :wink: What was the experience like? [/off-topic alert]

Ruth
  • heh heh the plinth event was my first "ride" since being floored by some bug for x months beforehand so I was just happy to be riding - and at 3am I wasn't in the mood for anything beyond being the centre of attention to passing clubbers. It was like being in a dream, most odd, but after 45 minutes I was ready to stop. I forgot to take cycling socks, and I left my company's huge logo on the train.

Agreed, custard creams are the pinnacle of biscuitness.
  • BeaconRuth wrote:
    [off-topic alert] Andy - I can't believe you spent an hour on the 4th plinth on a turbo trainer!!!!! :shock: :shock: :shock: Doesn't look like you were putting your back into any 2x20s or anything. Wierdly I was talking to my brother about a friend of his who was on the 4th plinth too........ two people I've heard of in the last 2 days, having not spoken to anyone about the 4th plinth ever before....... spooky. Good work, though, mate. Shame about the black socks. :wink: What was the experience like? [/off-topic alert]

Ruth

My cousin was also on the 4th plint, ranting about Boro. So chalk up another!
    "A cyclist has nothing to lose but his chain"

PTP Runner Up 2015
  • NapoleonD wrote:

These looked really good when I saw in CW but was put off when the following week CW revealed that this is a good way of picking up food poisoning by leaving in a warm pocket for a few hours prior to eating.
  • Custard Creams? Fig Rolls? Pah... dried dates are probably the best solid food source i've used on the bike. You don't get sick of them unlike buscuits, and they provide good, clean energy.
  • Slow1972
    Slow1972 Posts: 362
    These take time but are dead easy - this is an adaptation of Nigella Lawsons breakfast bars from Nigella Express

You need: 1 x 397 g condensed milk (the light version with less fat works equally well), 250g oats, 75g shredded coconut or ground almonds, 100g dried fruit (of your choice), 125g mixed seeds, 125g peanuts or other mixed nuts, crushed up a bit if you like.

Heat oven to 130 deg C. Warm condensed milk in a large pan. Mix everything else together. Then add warmed milk. Spread on a baking tin roughly 12 in x 12 in. Bake for 1 hour, cool for 15mins and cut up before cooled completely.

The bars survive in your pocket okay in a bag or foil.

Make sure you use condensed milk and not evaporated milk. Condensed milk is full of sugar to provide the simple carbs element and far less fat than butter. Okay there's fat from the nuts, but less than the butter element of flapjacks.

As a previous poster has said watch out for the Lim rice cakes, food poisoning waiting to happen in a warm jersey pocket, Garmin have electric cool boxes in the boot of their cars to deliver cold cakes to the riders....
  • sandbag
    sandbag Posts: 429
    Homemade Energy Gels. Can be converted to a bar.
    http://www.jibbering.com/sports/gels.html
  • sandbag
    sandbag Posts: 429
    NapoleonD wrote:

If you add lentils to the rice cake receipe it be even better. If you do eat smaller portions.
  • stevewj
    stevewj Posts: 227
    Use fig rolls - dead cheap and two have the same energy in as a High five energy gel.
  • AndyRubio
    BeaconRuth wrote:
    Shame about the black socks. :wink:
    I'm obviously a fashion setter, as Team Sky demonstrated today.

skyteamlaunch_gmcp16_download_image__600.jpg

My legs are more muscley.
  • BeaconRuth
    I've seen other photos of them all wearing white socks, so obviously they're going to have White Sock days and Black Sock days. I confidently predict they won't win anything when they're wearing black socks and looking like numpties.......... :wink:

Ruth
  • BeaconRuth
    AndyRubio wrote:
    My legs are more muscley.
    I'm sure they are.............. in your dreams. :D

Ruth
  • Infamous
    Infamous Posts: 1,130
    Back on topic....

Snowed in so thought I'd try something...just made some flapjacks taken from the second post here.
    200g oats
    100g 'flavourings' like dried fruit, seeds, choc chips etc. I used cranberries
    and sesame seeds
    50g plain flour
    100g butter.
    2 tbsp golden syrup
    75g brown sugar (try 50g, mine was a bit too sugary)

1) Mix the oats, flour and flavouring stuff - ie dry ingredients
    2) Melt butter, syrup, sugar in microwave
    3) Stir into the oat mixture
    4) Grease a baking tray
    5) Wack it in and level. Press down firmly
    6) 180 deg c for 20-25 mins. Check after 20 mins.
    7) Take it out and leave it to stand until it cools!!
    8.) Cut into wedges whilst still ever so slightly warm
    They are amazing! I used honey instead of syrup, 50g almonds and 50g chocolate chips. Doesn't make a huge amount but you can always double up. Will have to see if they break up in the back pocket, but otherwise they are perfect.
  • AndyRubio
    Mmm sounds delicious! Not sure about the fat content though, would it work without butter?
  • Infamous
    Infamous Posts: 1,130
    Might not stick together well without butter.
  • Edwin
    Edwin Posts: 785
    I've got a similar recipe from Anita Bean's Complete Guide to Sports Nutrition, which uses egg whites to bind it together instead. I've made them a few times and they were pretty good.
  • sampras38
    AndyRubio wrote:
    BeaconRuth wrote:
    Ruth

I've used malt loaf to and still so sometimes, but my flapjacks only take about 15 mins to prepare and 20 mins in the oven. Job done. And I'll only eat them on longer or sportive rides and even then only in the 1st hour or 2.
  • sampras38
    edited January 2010
    smithy1.0 wrote:
    Custard Creams? Fig Rolls? Pah... dried dates are probably the best solid food source i've used on the bike. You don't get sick of them unlike buscuits, and they provide good, clean energy.

Dates?....god no....can't stand them.
  • sampras38
    AndyRubio wrote:
    Mmm sounds delicious! Not sure about the fat content though, would it work without butter?

Andy, if the rest of your diet is good I really wouldn't worry about it.
  • If I can find it I'll post a recipe for nutty brownies that used last year on a summer ride. Don't ask how many calories though ! One of those recipes you could just throw in a mixer. There was a lot of demand for more and we ate the first lot early. Or will post a link if its easier.