Garmin Edge 305

Airwave
Airwave Posts: 483
edited December 2009 in Workshop
I was rather pleased to get one of these from one of my training buddies for xmas.It's a great bit of kit&i'm still getting used to it.The only problem i have found with it so far is when i went on a ride today as i went under tree cover,The New forest so a lot of trees.The speed became erratic compared with the Cateye comp which i have left on the bike for now.Is this just something that you just have to put up with because of the GPS.Does it make any difference,if before you start your ride you try to get as good a reception as possable from the sats. :?

Comments

• Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    I Take it you don't have the Garmin GSC10 Speed/Cadence Sensor fitted? If you do GPS signal then becomes a the secondary source for calculating speed. i.e when you swap to a bike without the sensor. I have the sensor fitted and never had a problem with the 705.
  • Airwave
    I Take it you don't have the Garmin GSC10 Speed/Cadence Sensor fitted? If you do GPS signal then becomes a the secondary source for calculating speed. i.e when you swap to a bike without the sensor. I have the sensor fitted and never had a problem with the 705.
    Yes i do have the GSC10 sensor fitted,when i first tried the 305 i had the spoke magnet fitted.But it seemed to make the speed erratic,i assumed it was interfering with the GPS.I know you can use the 305 without the GPS on&just use the spoke magnet for speed but then you lose the GPS information for post ride anyalsis.
    Or can you use the spoke magnet&GPS together,as when the GPS reception fails,the wheel sensor keeps the speed correct.
  • Airwave
    Ah,just reread the manual.I think i've found the problem.When i first used the comp i put a custom wheel size in(which may be slightly out)rather than the auto setting which then allows the comp to learn the tyre size.Thanks :roll: