Tyre size question

Baybash
Baybash Posts: 136
edited December 2009 in Road beginners
What are the pros and cons of 700x23 vs 700x25 size tyres?
exercise.png

Comments

• Bill D
    Bill D Posts: 62
    Obviously, the 23mms are 2mm narrower than the 25s. They will therefore roll a tiny bit better than 25s at any given pressure and will be very slightly lighter for any given make/model of tyre. But the 25s have quite a bit more volume of air in them so they will have more potential to absorb road vibration and (this may be controversial) should give a bit more protection to rims when hitting bumps, potholes etc. And you easily can get 23mms in lovely colours whereas almost all 25s are plain black (yes, I know, except for a few black/reds and black/greys. if you can find them in stock anywhere).
    It's a matter of personal preference really. Being quite an old person I use 25mms for the comfort factor.
  • Velonutter
    Velonutter Posts: 2,437
    Coming from the old school where we all trained on tubs and 27" HP's were for tourers, for me the thinner the better, I just love the noise you get with a set of tubs on a good road, it's sheer magic. Can't afford a set now, so Michelin Pro 3's will have to do for my racing and training.
  • redddraggon
    redddraggon Posts: 10,862
    Bill D wrote:
    Obviously, the 23mms are 2mm narrower than the 25s. They will therefore roll a tiny bit better than 25s at any given pressure

At the same pressure the rolling resistance of the 25mm tyre better will be better.
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • Bill D wrote:
    Obviously, the 23mms are 2mm narrower than the 25s. They will therefore roll a tiny bit better than 25s at any given pressure

At the same pressure the rolling resistance of the 25mm tyre better will be better.

How does that work? surely with that logic my MTB slicks would be faster on the roll than these slinky tyres.....
    exercise.png
  • redddraggon
    redddraggon Posts: 10,862
    Bill D wrote:

How does that work?

A 25mm tyre at the same pressure as a 23mm tyre, needs to deflect less to maintenance the same contact, it's the energy required to cause the deflection that constitutes rolling resistance, so obviously if the pressures are the same the 25mm will have a lower RR.

Basic science.
    surely with that logic my MTB slicks would be faster on the roll than these slinky tyres.....

Well you seem to have no logic. MTB slicks will be 26" rather than 700c, and can you actually run them at the required pressure? MTB slicks are also likely to be of a different construction. I am of course in my example only changing the tyre width and nothing else.
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    I've been a big advocate of 25mm tyres for training for at least the last 5 years - fortunately the mainstream cycling market seems to have twigged you can go just as fast (for same tyre type) more comfortably, more grip and with generally fewer punctures. The original Michelin Carbons were great as were original Fortezzas - now discontinued. I was riding some 23mm Krylions at the weekend (couldn't get 25s) and they felt horrible and less confidence inspiring My ideal tyre would be something like a Veloflex Pave in 25mm - there's a tyre that roars like a tub. Also, many people over-inflate their tyres in the belief that it's faster and just puncture more frequently.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • The only pros of 23s are weight and aerodynamics, both of which are only a factor if you race or ride fast. Otherwise 25s give you: a better ride; more grip; less punctures; comparable if not lower rolling resistance, especially on rough roads. More people should be riding 25s IMO - 23s are only for racers, and even then a 25 might be a better bet in some circumstances (e.g. wet),.
  • +1 for Monty Dog and huuregeil's comments. For me one of the biggest advantages of riding 25s is the considerable increase in comfort over 23s. Great if you ride lots of sportives!
    As the original poster let me expand my question. The choice I have is either keep the 700x25 Specialized All Condition Pro II that came with my new bike or replace them with some Continental GP4000s'. Any thoughts?
    exercise.png
  • skyd0g
    skyd0g Posts: 2,540
    Wouldn't rider weight also play a part in the above?

ie. for somebody as light as me (iro 8st) the 'advantages' of the 25mm's would be outweighed by the lower overall weight of the 23mm's, as compared to an 'average' 12-14st rider? :?:
    Cycling weakly
  • balthazar
    balthazar Posts: 1,565
    skyd0g wrote:
    Wouldn't rider weight also play a part in the above?

ie. for somebody as light as me (iro 8st) the 'advantages' of the 25mm's would be outweighed by the lower overall weight of the 23mm's, as compared to an 'average' 12-14st rider? :?:
    I doubt it. The weight difference is negligible on its own, and expressed as a percentage of bike+rider rolling weight it's virtually non-existent. The RR reduction in 2mm wider tyres is also fairly academic, but is nonetheless there, and the extra tyre volume allows smoother (thus faster) progress.
  • bice
    bice Posts: 772
    I ride my decent commuter (I have an ancient hack as well) with 25s; my best bike with 23s and second best with 25 back and 23 front.

I haven't noticed the 23s are less comfortable. What are views about mixing tyre size?
  • Infamous
    Infamous Posts: 1,130
    Baybash wrote:
    As the original poster let me expand my question. The choice I have is either keep the 700x25 Specialized All Condition Pro II that came with my new bike or replace them with some Continental GP4000s'. Any thoughts?
    Wear the specialized tyres out in winter, then change them.

GP4000s will be faster but will puncture more and only last half as long; more of a summer/racing tyre.
  • rake
    rake Posts: 3,204
    bice wrote:
    I ride my decent commuter (I have an ancient hack as well) with 25s; my best bike with 23s and second best with 25 back and 23 front.

I haven't noticed the 23s are less comfortable. What are views about mixing tyre size?

i think 25 rear 23 front is a good combination. more weight and wear on the back.not needed on the front.
  • Hi Guys,

You seem pretty clued up on the tyre front so i have a question for you.

I do a fair bit of road cycling but have started doing a bit of cycling with the mrs on sutrans/disused railway trails. The punctures are a pain the backside :roll: Rather than buying a hybrid with wider tyres, are there any tyres you could recommend for a road bike given the clearance between the forks for these type of trails?

Cheers
  • markos1963
    markos1963 Posts: 3,724
    Have now done a 1000 miles on 25mm tyres and can honestly say I can find no difference between them and 23mm's for speed in general riding. For a TT I will use a thinner tyre for aerodynamics but other than that I can't see the point. I enjoy the greater comfort and puncture resistance. As for colour choices I don't know where you've been lookiing but my Vittorio Rubinos came in a very striking Blk/Yellow combo from Wiggle.
  • Just replaced Spesh Mondo's with Conti GP4000s: major difference. They roll smoother & faster. Too early to comment on wear or punctures but they managed 160km around lake Taupo no problem.
    Greentyres? No they are just wrong. Harsh and unforgiving. The pneumatic tyre was a great invention, why lose over 100 years of technology?
  • Once again, personal preference. I prefer 23's, notice no increase in comfort on 25's. Must be psychological because i get places quicker on 23's as well..........................................................................................................................................Actually for the sake of un biased opinion, my 25's were Bontrager race lites, i think theses are regarded as pretty standard tyres compared to the Pro race3/gp4000 which i prefer :roll: :lol: :arrow:
  • Cheers Stefanos, i'll get those tyres on order

Reuben