Bearings

marabou
marabou Posts: 36
edited December 2009 in MTB workshop & tech
Just a quickie; are all bearings pretty much the same in terms of quality? I`m just looking to overhaul my hubs and don't need pro performance or anything special.

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    no they can be very different.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • robertpb
    robertpb Posts: 1,866
    Very far from it, some bearings are made down to a price and the balls are usually more oval than round.

Usually the more you pay the better the tolerances in manufacture.

Rubbish cheap bearings are not cheap in the long run.
    Now where's that "Get Out of Crash Free Card"
  • Thanks.

Any recommendations for a reasonable quality brand?

Is it just me or are loose bearings difficult to find ? I`ve checked Chain Reaction Cycles and Wiggle etc..

I'd have thought they'd have been a popular product!
  • Cheshley
    Cheshley Posts: 1,448
    I overhauled the suspension linkages on my Spesh this summer with sealed cartridge units I got off ebay. I got the lot for about 12 quid where my local Bearing stockist wanted 11 quid each for them. To date I've noticed no difference. Make sure you have the exact measurements of outer diameter, inner diameter and depth before you order tho, I took my info from the owner's manual.
    1998 Marin Hawk Hill
    2008 Specialized FSR XC Comp
    2008 Scott Speedster S30 FB

SLOW RIDES FOR UNFIT PEOPLE - Find us on Facebook or in the MTB Rides section of this forum.
  • marabou wrote:
    Just a quickie; are all bearings pretty much the same in terms of quality? I`m just looking to overhaul my hubs and don't need pro performance or anything special.

"don't need pro performance or anything special"
    http://www.weldtite.co.uk/pdf/weldtite_catalogue.pdf
    Page 20

Ebay
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    What sort of bearings? Loose ball, cartridge?
  • Alex
    Alex Posts: 2,086
    www.bearingboys.co.uk

Buying bearings from bikeshops is not friendly on the pocket, and you nearly always end up being sold crap bearings.

You want SKF or FAG really.
  • I`m looking for loose ball bearings.

Thanks for your help