Buff head / face gear

eltonioni
eltonioni Posts: 82
edited December 2009 in MTB buying advice
I've lost my thinsulate beanie and yesterdays cold air had me spluttering so I was thinking about getting a buff that I can pull up over my mouth and nose. Any experiences of these things to share?

Like this> http://www.bikeradar.com/gear/category/ ... -buff-9046

Spoiled for choice, but which kind? > https://www.buffwear.co.uk/catalogue/index.php/cPath/51

Comments

• stomith
    stomith Posts: 332
    They are brilliant things. Especially the fleece/polyester dual thingies. But they do absorb moisture. Monday at Afan mine was like a wet flannel by the time the ride was over.

If you wear glasses while riding, the buff in Zorro mode makes your glasses steam up.

As a tip...have you checked to see if your beanie is on top of your head. I always leave mine there! :)

They are also good at alleviating boredom as they are like Transformers.

http://www.gooutdoors.co.uk/product-list&Text=buff

£20 each there.
  • S_J_P
    S_J_P Posts: 908
    I have one, and I think it's a great piece of headgear :D

I tend to use it in just two of it's many guises, as a scarf and as a balaclava. It's pretty thin, so isn't the warmest thing on the planet, but it's thinness also means it can be worn beneath a helmet!
  • Thread8
    Thread8 Posts: 479
    buffs are awesome! i use them for just about every sport i do, and always have one on me for no reason :D

i have 4 of them , cant fault them
    Haro Thread 8
    Please help!

"It's like parkour, on a bike"
  • Very impressed with my surprise gift from mother, been a godsend in this cold snap for my postie round!
    ================
    2020 Voodoo Marasa
    2017 Cube Attain GTC Pro Disc 2016
    2016 Voodoo Wazoo
  • For what they are they're quite expensive, but I wouldn't be without mine. Infact I have three!
  • I have the winter one and wouldn't be without it
    Neil
    Help I'm Being Oppressed
  • Bikerbaboon
    Bikerbaboon Posts: 1,017
    Airienteer wrote:
    For what they are they're quite expensive, but I wouldn't be without mine. Infact I have three!

i think there is a bike mag out atm that has one free with it. So you can get one for about £4.
    cracking bits of kit
    Nothing in life can not be improved with either monkeys, pirates or ninjas
  • I picked up a top tip on here. Get a buff, chop it into a one third section and a two thirds section.

1. The one third section is excellent folded in two used as a headband to stop sweat streaming into your eyes on a hot summer day.

2. The two-thirds section is good for keeping your bonce warm on a cold winter day, but without such an excess of material that it would bunch up and spoil the fit of your lid.
  • Torres
    Torres Posts: 1,266
    Airienteer wrote:
    For what they are they're quite expensive, but I wouldn't be without mine. Infact I have three!

i think there is a bike mag out atm that has one free with it. So you can get one for about £4.
    cracking bits of kit

Yup, the only reason i think i'll ever buy cycling plus... but i was faced with a long cold walk home in the snow. I don't think it's a Buff product, there's no branding on it, but it does the job, and for 4 quid you can't be had.
    What We Achieve In Life, Echoes In Eternity
  • robertpb
    robertpb Posts: 1,866
    This coming Sunday Aldi are going to have their version of a buff in at 2.99.
    Now where's that "Get Out of Crash Free Card"
  • ads4
    ads4 Posts: 698
    Got one with MBR a few months ago and it is great on these colder days. I also bought a Gore face mask that makes me look like Hannibal Lecter :)

gorefacwatrmer.jpg
    Adam.

Never underestimate the predictability of stupidity.

Current ride - Yeti ASR 5a X0
  • Matt N
    Matt N Posts: 160
    get an old buff ( or a free one, thats what i used), cut a mouth and eye holes in it and there you have my buffaclava, thin enough to fit under a helmet. Don't forget the mouth hole because they get really wet if you're breathing through them for a few hours
    If calsberg made bikes... they'd probably be the best bikes in the world

’My Spesh’
  • Shmikuk
    Shmikuk Posts: 117
    Field and trek have buffs of all types in their sale at the minut, I think the 13 quid type are a tenner, and the 23 quid type with fleece bit are 18. Saw some nice merino wool ones that I hadn't seen before.
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    Buffs are superb. The Polar Buff is the one to get, or at least it was, because you basically got a whole buff, with a whole fleece buff attached. So you could cut a 3 inch wide strip of fleece off for an ear warmer, and cut the standard buff off for a... buff, and still have the fleece one for those really cold days.

There are cheap ones as well of course but I've not found one yet that's as good as a proper one. In the saltire design of course ;)
    Uncompromising extremist
  • prawny
    prawny Posts: 5,439
    I've got 2 they're great. A merino wool one is next on the list though. The normal ones get stinky quick.
    Saracen Tenet 3 - 2015 - Dead - Replaced with a Hack Frame
    Voodoo Bizango - 2014 - Dead - Hit by a car
    Vitus Sentier VRS - 2017
  • fcumok
    fcumok Posts: 283
    I bought some oxford comfys recently and they're just as good. 3 for a tenner, I paid more than that for one buff.
  • 77ric
    77ric Posts: 601
    prawny wrote:
    I've got 2 they're great. A merino wool one is next on the list though. The normal ones get stinky quick.

got a regular one and recently picked up the merino wool version, and i have to say the merino wool ones are ace, been using mine all the time since i got it 4 weeks ago. it's on anytime i go out wether i'm on the bike or not.

especially with the the chill in the air recently.
    Fancy a brew?
  • MeddlE
    MeddlE Posts: 322
    Got the Barts version of the polar buff from Blacks for £13, fantastic piece of kit.