Dec 30, its just too damned cold to go biking !!

JimmyK
JimmyK Posts: 712
Im sure some of you nutters will venture out though :lol:

Here in Ards it is BITTER , if i went out in these conditions id catch my death of cold........seriously !!

Is it baltic where you are today, and did anybody go out biking ? I wouldnt be surprised if there were some turn arounds and heading back after 5 miles though :lol:

Jimmy (brrrrrr)

Comments

• You people in Ards, aren't Ard
  • Garz
    Garz Posts: 1,155
    My wife's family live in Co Down too (nearer newcastle) and although it was chilly over there it is really no different to when im back home around the penines. I think it's just a case of building up your cycle wardrobe, it takes time as its expensive.
  • Moaner
    Moaner Posts: 117
    Just back from a quick 90-minute spin - thermometer says a subtropical 3 degrees, but I must admit that the 40 mph easterly wind has a bit of a bite to it.
    Must be great to live somewhere call Ard! Nearest we have is Ardwick, but that doesn't have quite the same ring to it.
    Does everyone walk round glaring at each other? :)
  • We have Hardway down near me in Somerset... Its always a tough ride when i cycle that direction....

Was a bitter, wet and windy hours spin in the SS first thing this morning - still, good to get in my last ride of 2009 :D
    “Look where you want to go. Not where you are going”
  • lfcquin
    lfcquin Posts: 470
    Right. You guys have talked me into it. I am sitting here wimping out and I don't live anywhere near a town that can kick my arse. So, lets see if I can get the fixey out for a spin, even if it is an hour...

If I catch a cold i'm blaming you. All of you....

:wink:
  • verloren
    verloren Posts: 337
    My PB is -10C, but suitably dressed that's not so bad. The tricky thing for me is that the roads need to be really dry - any ice, at all, and I will fall down.

'09 Enigma Eclipse with SRAM.
    '10 Tifosi CK7 Audax Classic with assorted bits for the wet weather
    '08 Boardman Hybrid Comp for the very wet weather.
  • Went out yesterday for a quickie around the lump just as it was turning to snow up here on the tops in Sheffield and boy did my lungs feel the cold air. I was still coughing and spluttering an hour after getting back.
  • I've been out for the last 3 days in freezing conditions, snow blizards etc. Beats the turbo, in fact, I prefer the coldness to rain. Had to take the MTB because the roads are too slippy for the roadie. Dress correctly and you'll be fine 8)
  • lfcquin
    lfcquin Posts: 470
    So, there we go. Got to say, once I was out and moving it was fine, didn;t feel the cold really. The wind is a killer, it blew my off the road at one point. It was a decent battle up the hills into the headwind on a fixed wheel though! :D

So 4 1/2 hours yesterday and another hour today. Takes me over 100 miles for the last two days. Not bad considering the ice, cold, sleet and wind.

Not sure the Doc would approve. I have had an ear infection and was told by the nurse this morning to not go out in the cold unless I have to. Oops :oops:

Anyone else wimping out, then just get out and do it. It's not as bad as you think it is (at least it isn't in South East Cheshire....).
  • JamesB
    JamesB Posts: 1,184
    Cold, wet and sleet / snow / slush everywhere :( . It `s the slippery surfaces that I doin`t like, dry cold etc OK, but not this mess. PB is also about -10c MTBing in Kielder three yeras ago, so cold front air forks locked solid, deep powder snow but no ice :)
  • hopper1
    hopper1 Posts: 4,389
    Fcuk it... Far too cold, not enough insentive....
    Went shopping instead :oops:
    Start with a budget, finish with a mortgage!
  • JimmyK
    the wind is howling here and the rain is even ice cold too :shock:

worst bit is that the wife wanted to go shopping and i got trailed around shopping centers for about 2 hours :( yaaaaaaaaaaaaaawn
  • sandbag
    sandbag Posts: 429
    I didn't find it cold in shorts as long as i didn't stop. Massive headwind for 40 miles coming back.

Forecast more snow and cold for next 3 days.
  • holmeboy
    holmeboy Posts: 674
    Have cycled to work most days for the last 2 very cold weeks, through Snowand Ice on me MTB. Cycling on non salted roads and pavements for 5 miles on frozen snow is definitly twitchy A*se time. Havin said that fell off for the first time this morning on still frozen section of road (the first bit of road was ok and then suddenly turned in to ice rink) when most of the journey had thawed. Today was also by far the longest time taken to get in because of the Wicked Easterly Wind (the shortest to get home). The forecast here is for more Snow tonight and tommorrow, Bugger. :cry:
  • mrc1
    mrc1 Posts: 852
    I'm currently in Germany with work and went out in the hills two weekends ago at an average temperature of minus 16 so stop whinging and get on your bikes :evil:
    http://www.ledomestiquetours.co.uk

Le Domestique Tours - Bespoke cycling experiences with unrivalled supported riding, knowledge and expertise.

Ciocc Extro - FCN 1
  • I ride for pleasure, leaving the house to get in the car is no fun here on the edge of the Peaks at the moment, so I'm buggered if I'm going out on the bike!

I did go out walking on Tuesday, how cold it was and how bad the wind blew at times left me wondering if I was actually on the north face of the Eiger....
  • Bhima
    Bhima Posts: 2,145
    Was on the borderline of the peaks yesterday without problems (chickened out at 200m, simply because I wasn't up for any climbing, not because of the cold) and it's very VERY sunny in MCR today. Already been out to pick up a coffee and check out the conditions this morning - it's actually warm! :shock: Thermometer read 5 degrees yesterday, so it should be higher today hopefully.
  • holmeboy
    holmeboy Posts: 674
    It's Fecking Snowing here again! Bestard! :cry:
  • Bhima
    Just been out and the weather is gorgeous! I overdressed for it - sweating buckets on the flat, even at 40kph. Loads of cyclists about. Some tri-nerds got a little overexcited when they saw the sun was out and were cycling around in sleeveless jerseys though. :roll:
  • freehub
    freehub Posts: 4,257
    Whats it like over in MCR? Is it snowing crap loads? I hear the pennines got it real bad?

Here in Yorkshire it's colder than yesterday, I went out in jeans and jumper, after about 4 miles was fine, only did 9.5 miles like, my bum was hurting..
  • Bhima
    Snowing? You've got to be joking! Thermometer currently says 11c! If you look out of my window, it actually looks like summer. Not a cloud anywhere.

I went up the Cat & Fiddle and it gets icy above the turnoff for Macc Forest but it's all on the grass - the roads are fine.
  • a_n_t
    a_n_t Posts: 2,011
    nice round dunham / tatton park this morning. my first ride in almost 3 weeks!
    Manchester wheelers

PB's
    10m 20:21 2014
    25m 53:18 20:13
    50m 1:57:12 2013
    100m Yeah right.
  • freehub
    freehub Posts: 4,257
    Bhima wrote:
    Snowing? You've got to be joking! Thermometer currently says 11c! If you look out of my window, it actually looks like summer. Not a cloud anywhere.

I went up the Cat & Fiddle and it gets icy above the turnoff for Macc Forest but it's all on the grass - the roads are fine.

Just heard from BBC Radio 2 that cat and fiddle is closed due to ice and snow, it's coming again!!
  • Garz
    Dunno what bhima's been smoking but went out for a ride at 10am this morning and the computer displayed 36'F which is about 2 degrees (agree on the clear skies though it was nicer conditions than a few days back)!

First outing for nearly three weeks as I was in ireland with family, roll on the spring! :)
  • Bhima
    That's 10am though - I was out about 1pm. Big difference. My thermometer is giving me such high readings because I live near the city centre. I think there's a 3/4 degree difference between here and a few km away into south MCR.

Will - the overnight temperatures on the C&F will be a lot lower than most places, so although it was fine today, i'd avoid the higher altitudes in the mornings because new ice will be forming overnight. The C&F was closed last week but when it got re-opened, it was fine within about an hour of traffic movement. I wouldn't worry, unless you're going up it pre-11am-ish. Anyway, it's the smaller, steeper, quieter village roads you should be worried about. I was staying in Bollington last week and it was a joke!
  • freehub wrote:
    I went out in jeans and jumper, after about 4 miles was fine, only did 9.5 miles like, my bum was hurting..

@ what average speed?
  • garetjax
    garetjax Posts: 175
    I was looking out of the window and considering going out. It was then I saw my car slide about 2ft down the drive and then stop. No joke!

Went out and cleared the drive, then watched Ice Road Truckers instead.
  • Garz
    Been below freezing here for past two days. :(
  • incog24
    incog24 Posts: 549
    The weather forecast for Cambridge is dire for the next fortnight. It looks like I have the option of going outside and sticking to gritted main roads or staying in on the rollers. I'm not sure which is the more boring!!
    Racing for Fluid Fin Race Team in 2012 - www.fluidfin.co.uk
  • JimmyK
    weather forecast i watched today said this coming week, england was to be deluged in snow ...............that sucks for you guys.