Ultimate Feedback Pro Elite vs Park tool workstands

w2darren
w2darren Posts: 51
edited May 2012 in Workshop
After looking at, and much help / advice from all who repled on the forum i have narrowed it down to 2 workstands, so before i buy i would like to be really sure my money has been invested well, which one do i buy the Pro Elite around 270 euros or the park tool pro prs15 around 350 euros ( both priced on chainreaction cycles ). i would be greatfull once again for your adivce, cheers darren from ireland.

Comments

• Scrumple
    Scrumple Posts: 2,665
    pro elite.

Had the same decision as you and got the feedback. No regrets.
  • whobiggs
    whobiggs Posts: 23
    I am also very interested in this question as I have narrowed down my choice to these two. From what I can gather they are both good.
  • Yossie
    Yossie Posts: 2,600
    I have the Park Tools PCS9 (the £70 odd one) - its perfect for home semi serious mechanicing (ie building and maintaining bikes but not on a race team/commercial basis although I can't really see why it wouldn't be good enough for a small workshop outfit) - if the more expensive one is proportionatly better as per the increase in price it'll be brilliant.
  • bianchibob
    bianchibob Posts: 306
    Don't bother with either of them, this is the one you want, a Tacx T3075 it is brilliant. Beautifully made, very stable and holds the bike securely without causing any damage to paint work or carbon frames

http://www.bike-discount.de/shop/a122/b ... html?lg=en

Purchased mine from this firm in Germany. It arrived via UPS two days later and cost just over £60.

Very pleased, one of the best bits of bike kit I have purchased recently.
  • dennisn
    dennisn Posts: 10,601
    I doubt either will be better or worse than the other. You're talking about top line stuff. FWIW both of them are a bit much for the home mechanic. You won't use them that much and they cost 2 or 3 times as much as many of the home stands. However, if you work on bikes for a living then either of them is a great choice. Don't know all that much about the Ultimate but Park stands seem to last forever, even in bike shops.
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    edited May 2012
    bianchibob wrote:
    Don't bother with either of them, this is the one you want, a Tacx T3075 it is brilliant. Beautifully made, very stable and holds the bike securely without causing any damage to paint work or carbon frames

Ummm, no thanks! That's huge! And not being able to swivel the bike around would be a pain for me (useful for getting the best light on the bike if you are working on both sides).

You can get far more compact ones that hold the bike in the same way and can rotate the bike. I have the Park version (PRS 20) which is excellent - but much more expensive than that Tacx which, to be fair, is cheap. Still the PRS20 is far cheaper than the 15 - aside from reduced weight (a mixed blessing) I can't imagine what the PRS15 has to justify the price (aside from the optional paper towel holder :lol: ).
    Faster than a tent.......
  • Yossie
    Yossie Posts: 2,600
    bianchibob wrote:

http://www.bike-discount.de/shop/a122/b ... html?lg=en

Purchased mine from this firm in Germany. It arrived via UPS two days later and cost just over £60.

Very pleased, one of the best bits of bike kit I have purchased recently.

Errr, no - its huge. You can't walk under it. You can't swivel or move the bike. And, bizarrely, a cloth around the frame and not doing up the holding clamp to a million squillion Nm means no damage to paintwork or carbon frames (the Park clamp is really soft rubber, so no cloth needed anyway). Alternatively, do something crazy like clamp the seat post.

With the Park Tools job you can move the bike up and down and left and right while its clamped in, but I assume that this is a pretty common trait and not just some miraculous P/T invention. It's also a nice blue, really well made and you can get full spares for it for when you break it.

The PCS9 also folds away when not in use, but I must admit that I leave mine up all the time and use it to hang a spare bike from.

Can someone move me to the Park Tools Salesmen thread in Cake Stop please?
  • tonye_n
    tonye_n Posts: 832
    In terms off overall robustness the parktools one is hard to beat. However I prefer and use the feedback pro because it is ver well designed with ease of use in mind. It is also very robust, and if I would only consider parktools over feedback pro if fettling on something like a really heavy full susser most of the time.
  • arlowood
    arlowood Posts: 2,561
    Save yourself £100+ and invest in the Edinburgh Bicycle Coop Revolution workstand.

http://www.edinburghbicycle.com/product ... ruing-jigs

Got one last year and its great. Sturdy, stable, folds down for storage and it does all I would ever need for fettling my bike. Loads of adjustment so you can have your bike at any height or angle you need to do the job required.

I'm sure the Park Tool and Pro Elite stands are great but I'm not sure they are more than £100 better than the above.
  • whobiggs
    whobiggs Posts: 23
    arlowood wrote:
    Save yourself £100+ and invest in the Edinburgh Bicycle Coop Revolution workstand.

Got one last year and its great. Sturdy, stable, folds down for storage and it does all I would ever need for fettling my bike...... I'm not sure they are more than £100 better than the above.

I already have one of those under a different brand name, they are quite common. I like it but it is very wobbly for anything serious. For basic stuff I would highly recommend it but I am setting up a commercial workshop and wish I'd spent a bit more. As the saying goes 'buy cheap buy twice'.