Alpe D'Huez or Ventoux

Brian1
Brian1 Posts: 595
edited December 2009 in Road beginners
My mate is 50 next year and wants to do one of the above to mark the ocasion.I'm a bit concerned as he has only been cycling for 4 years and the greatest distance he's ridden is a fairly flat 50 miles.He is about 210 lbs.Is there anybody on the forum about this weight who has done either of these climbs and how long did it take.Thanks

Comments

• richa
    richa Posts: 1,631
    Only been riding for 4 years? That is plenty.

A flat 50 miles = say 3hrs. Alpe d'Huez with the correct gearing would be very do able in 1.5-2hrs. Go for it.
    Rich
  • skyd0g
    skyd0g Posts: 2,540
    +1 Shouldn't be a problem - as long as you take your time & don't try to do it at Le Tour pace. :wink:
    Cycling weakly
  • TheStone
    TheStone Posts: 2,291
    I'm a bit heavier and did both in a weekend before I started cycling more.
    They're not too steep and you can take breaks if needed.

If it's a choice, Ventoux is a better challenge/event.

I did 1h40 on AdH and 2h40 on VT, would be a fair bit quicker now with a couple
    of years of good riding (same weight!!)
    exercise.png
  • guv001
    guv001 Posts: 688
    Get a triple with lots of teeth on the back and he'll easily make it up either. Perhaps he should consider doing the 3 accents of Ventoux in a day since he is 50.
  • bobtbuilder
    bobtbuilder Posts: 1,537
    How long are you going for?

There are loads of other famous climbs close to Alpe d'Huez, but no other legendary climbs near the Ventoux.
  • morrisje
    morrisje Posts: 507
    Ventoux is much more of an experience. It is longer than Alpd'Huez and when you get out of the wooded area it feels like you are on another planet.
    Alp d'Huez is not a perticually pretty road and has a lot of traffic on it. Of course there are many other mountains around Alp d'Huez so you can tick of an iconic climb each day.
    If you are going for a quick trip to be able to say 'I've done it' then I would go for Ventoux.
  • Brian1
    Brian1 Posts: 595
    I think he intends to go for 4/5 days.What would you suggest as other not to be missed climbs near either location.Thanks
  • bobtbuilder
    bobtbuilder Posts: 1,537
    Brian1 wrote:
    I think he intends to go for 4/5 days.What would you suggest as other not to be missed climbs near either location.Thanks

There are no other famous climbs near Ventoux, but you do have three different roads to the summit. The local countryside is rolling & picturesque.

Near Alpe d'Huez you also have:

Col de Croix de Fer (awesome)
    Galibier (also awesome)
    Telegraphe
    Les Deux Alpes
    Lautaret

There is also the lesser known Col d'Ornon which is a nice climb and a simply stunning dead-end road to La Berarde.

There is a similar thread over in the Tour & Expedition forum you might want to take a look at.
  • morrisje
    morrisje Posts: 507
    Bobbuilder mentions 'There is also the lesser known Col d'Ornon which is a nice climb and a simply stunning dead-end road to La Berarde.'

If it's the one I thinking about then it is a great ride. Just the sort of ride you need after doing a couple of days on the major climbs. There's a nice resturant at the end of the road with lovely views.
    I went to the alps this summer and did the Galibier, Alp d'Huez and an organised sportive. The best day was Col d'Orman. Probabally because I didn't feel like throwing up at the end of it.
  • APIII
    APIII Posts: 2,010
    Whilst there are no other 'major' climbs around Ventoux, there is some stunning riding. La Gorges de la Nesque is amazing - a gentle climb in comparison, but quite breathtaking. If you don't want to slog up major cols everyday of the trip, I would go for Ventoux, as once you've conquered it, you can enjoy some easy cycling in the area, Chateauneuf du pape is worth a visit!
  • Road Red
    Road Red Posts: 232
    +1 for Ventoux.

If he's happy with one 'major' it's great cycling country, beautiful scenary and some nice climbs. Have a look at last years Etape route, Col d'Eye and Col de Fontaube make for a great ride.

I'm in the same weight category as your friend and did Ventoux last May in 2hrs. Admittedly I was coming off a winter of Etape training, but then I started from scratch in Sep. He'll have no problems.
  • Brian B
    Brian B Posts: 2,071
    Done both areas and where ever you go they are simply stunning places to ride.

The Alpe - This area is littered with good climbs but unfortunately they are all fairly big and may not be what you want 5 days in a row. Saying that someone mentioned the lesser known climb of La Berarde - thats probably one of my best days ever up there and if you go its a must and not really to taxing. Nice place of 'Le Champe' to have to eat at the top. Weather can be unpredictable here though.

Ventoux and Provence - The excellent climb of Ventoux and many, many more quiet roads and other climbs to be had in this area. Weather here is usually very good and hot. You can make routes to suit all people in this area and the country roads are traffic free.

Check out Veloventoux.com for more info on Provence. Been with them twice now and service is excellent and friendly.

Keep us posted where you decide to go. good luck.
    Brian B.
  • Brian B

The Alpe - This area is littered with good climbs but unfortunately they are all fairly big and may not be what you want 5 days in a row. Saying that someone mentioned the lesser known climb of La Berarde - thats probably one of my best days ever up there and if you go its a must and not really to taxing. Nice place of 'Le Champe' to have to eat at the top. Weather can be unpredictable here though.

Ventoux and Provence - The excellent climb of Ventoux and many, many more quiet roads and other climbs to be had in this area. Weather here is usually very good and hot. You can make routes to suit all people in this area and the country roads are traffic free.

Check out Veloventoux.com for more info on Provence. Been with them twice now and service is excellent and friendly.

Brian B.
  • Brian B

Brian B.
  • Brian B

Brian B.
  • mkirby
    mkirby Posts: 365
    wow 4 posts must be good then ;)
  • Road Red
    Road Red Posts: 232
    Are you sure Brian?
  • Brian B
    Was using new lap top for the first time and was having difficulty with my internet connection and hit the submit button too many times.
    Brian B.
  • he;s lighter (although older) than I was when I did either of those climbs. 1:04 on l'Alpe when I was 235lbs.
    +1 for Ventoux and +many for Craig and Vicky @ Veloventoux.