Hope head doctor?, Is it easier than a star nut?

captainfly
captainfly Posts: 1,001
edited December 2009 in MTB buying advice
Hi all, I've ordered some new forks and have a pretty good idea how to fit them (crown race, steerer tube length etc) but am unsure about the the star fangled washer/nut I know I have to fit something that can pull up the steere tube to preload the headset bearings. I was wondering if it is more time effort and money buying the setting tool and installing the star nut or giving the hope head doctor at try, any views on either side of this would come in really useful to me, thank you.
-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_
Mongoose Teocali
Giant STP0

Why are MTB economics; spend twice as much as you intended, but only half as much as you wish you could afford? :roll:

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    not worth the money over a star nut.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Most bike shops would supply and fit a star nut for a few quid. Why spend money on all the tools? :wink:
    jedster wrote:
    Just off to contemplate my own mortality and inevitable descent into decrepedness.
    FCN 3 or 4 on road depending on clothing
    FCN 8 off road because I'm too old to go racing around.
  • ilovedirt
    ilovedirt Posts: 5,798
    why use a setting tool? just bash the star washer in with a hammer and an old screwdriver, works for me.
    Production Privee Shan

B'Twin Triban 5
  • nicklouse wrote:
    not worth the money over a star nut.

+1.
    Although seeing as though I got my hope headset free with the p7 I'm gonna give the supplied hed doc a go.... I'd never go out and buy one though.
  • nicklouse
    i have two that came free with the headsets sitting in my tool box.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
  • captainfly
    Thanks guys star nut it is then :)

Most bike shops would supply and fit a star nut for a few quid. Why spend money on all the tools? :wink:

It's having time to go to a bike shop during the working day, oh and living where I do there isn't a bike shop I'd trust that is less than half an hour away :roll:
    Mongoose Teocali
    Giant STP0

Why are MTB economics; spend twice as much as you intended, but only half as much as you wish you could afford? :roll:
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    A setting tool and a handful of starnuts is cheaper than a hed dcotor.
  • ilovedirt
    captainfly wrote:

Most bike shops would supply and fit a star nut for a few quid. Why spend money on all the tools? :wink:

It's having time to go to a bike shop during the working day, oh and living where I do there isn't a bike shop I'd trust that is less than half an hour away :roll:
    do you have a socket set? use a socket that sits on the threaded part and bash it in with a hammer, easy.
    Production Privee Shan

B'Twin Triban 5
  • captainfly
    ilovedirt wrote:
    captainfly wrote:

do you have a socket set? use a socket that sits on the threaded part and bash it in with a hammer, easy.

It was whether the head doctor was any better thant a start nut rather than installing one. Tool and starnut set are about the same cost as a head docor so it isn't a problem either way. But thank you for the advice
    Mongoose Teocali
    Giant STP0

• ilovedirt
    aye i know that, i'm just saying if you can't get to a bike shop any time soon (understandable due to work) then it's easy enough to just do it yourself
    Production Privee Shan

B'Twin Triban 5
  • Barrie_G
    Barrie_G Posts: 479
    Yes it's easier than a star nut, they can be a bit fiddley but they are easier.
  • nicklouse
    what is easier than a big hammer?
  • I guess the only benefit is that you can fit the hed doctor without having to cut the steerer. Then you can try different spacer heights :)
  • ilovedirt
    bigbenj_08 wrote:
    I guess the only benefit is that you can fit the hed doctor without having to cut the steerer. Then you can try different spacer heights :)
    you can do that with a star washer too....
    Production Privee Shan

B'Twin Triban 5
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    nicklouse wrote:

A bigger one :lol:
    Uncompromising extremist
  • Barrie_G
    Barrie_G Posts: 479
    nicklouse wrote:

Not having to use a hammer, some of us more refined people prefer not to have to resort to brute force to fit something :wink::D
  • captainfly
    bigbenj_08 wrote:
    I guess the only benefit is that you can fit the hed doctor without having to cut the steerer. Then you can try different spacer heights :)

Good point, so I'll get both because of conflicting reports (and finding a £20 note in the lining of an old wallet) even if the head doctor is only used to help me set up, an SFN is cheap enough to get as a back up and I realised with help from this thread and another place that I have everthing to make up a tool for fitting an SFN 6mm bolt, washer stack, nut and socket :)
    I don't know you try to get help and advice on what to buy and end up with more questions so buy everything :roll:
    Mongoose Teocali
    Giant STP0

• Steve_b77
    Steve_b77 Posts: 1,680
    I've got a head doctor in one fork and a star nut in the other on my MTB's

On my roadie I've got a FSA head doctor style thingy as it's a carbon steerer and seems common practise on road forks.

Both equally effective, one alot more expensive if you don;t already have it free with your hope headset
  • If you don't have the installation tool for a starnut, find a 5mm allen head bolt cost around 20p (could be 6mm) spin into the starnut, then tap with hammer or rubber ended hammer. just make sure you hit it square, you could use a screwdriver but you might damage the starnut thread

use a hacksaw a file for correct steerer length

sorted
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    Here's a trick, can't remember who showed me this... Get a decent length M6 bolt and a washer about the width of the id of the steerer, so it can drop down inside. If you can't find one the right size you can pad out a smaller one with electric tape or similiar, or use anything else round that'll fit neatly down the steerer without being too loose, and has a hole in the middle.

Now, stick your bolt through the washer, then thread it into the star nut from underneath, so that you have the washer hanging below the star nut. The further, the better. Thread the bolt through far enough that it sticks out the other side of the nut.

Drop the whole thing into the steerer, washer first. It's now impossible to fit the star nut squint, as the washer arrangement will keep it straight. You can tap directly down on the part of the bolt which sticks through the nut.

Lastly, unscrew the bolt (you'll need a socket and an extension for this, or a screwdriver with the relevant head on it). Ta, and indeed, da.
    Uncompromising extremist