Stronglight head bearings-Do I have to buy a whole headset?

shaw8670
shaw8670 Posts: 264
edited December 2009 in Workshop
The needles in my Stronglight Aheadset are falling out of their cages. Rather than have to replace the headset (it is quite new and the surfaces all look good) can I get new bearings? I can't be bothered fitting new cups etc.
Greetings from the wet and windy North west

Comments

• Smokin Joe
    Smokin Joe Posts: 2,706
    Yes.
  • rake
    rake Posts: 3,204
    yes.
  • balthazar
    balthazar Posts: 1,565
    Yes you can get new ball bearings (No you don't have to replace the whole thing!).
  • you can get new roller bearings and bearing surfaces to drop into your Stronglight headset. Spa Cycles sell them
    Recipe: shave legs sparingly, rub in embrocation and drizzle with freshly squeezed baby oil.
  • ball bearings

?????
  • ball bearings are possible - some Stronglight headsets had rollers on the bottom and balls on the top
    Recipe: shave legs sparingly, rub in embrocation and drizzle with freshly squeezed baby oil.
  • you can get new roller bearings and bearing surfaces to drop into your Stronglight headset. Spa Cycles sell them

Or Ebay
  • balthazar
    balthazar Posts: 1,565
    gundersen wrote:
    ball bearings

?????
    What's so wrong about that? Plenty of headsets use ball-bearings. If this one uses roller bearings, then I'm sure the OP could make the conceptual leap, and understand what was meant..?!
  • its just that all the stronglight headsets I have used the last 20 or more years have used rollers and not balls

not tying to upset anyone