BOOOOOMM!!

n.battison
n.battison Posts: 57
edited January 2010 in MTB general
Doing a small jump today no more that 2 ft, i heard a big crack and.......
17431_397229300300_668010300_10331022_6927385_n.jpg
Bad news.

A Norco LT 3 frame should definitely not do that.

Oh well its an excuse to get something new.

Neil.
My Bikes And Me
A bicycle can't stand alone; it is two tired.

Comments

• Good lord! Will it be covered by Warranty?

If so, then :D

If not, :cry:
  • Nope.

It doesnt matter though because i am gonna get a poo coloured 456 like you.

Neil
    My Bikes And Me
  • :D WIN!

Loving mine so far.

You WILL need to stick some protective tape on the frame though, the paint on mine seems to chip really easily.

Oh, and as they dont tell you on the on-one site, I may as well point out that it's not solid brown, it's metallic. There's some close-ups of mine in the "your mountain bikes" section if you want a closer look.
  • Its a sad day for the norco, it served you well! I mean for such a free ride bike you did do some extreme stuff! I think all that biking round the park yesterday must have put the frame under such stress that it just exploded today.
  • hd? maybe its time for full sus
  • lucky it was the seat stay really, otherwise that could of bloody hurt :shock:

at least you haver an excuse for a new frame! :twisted:
    2 Broken fingers broken again... F@$%^£g hell that hurt!!!

92% of teenagers have turned to rap. If your one of the 8% that still listens to real music put this in your sig.
    METAL!!!!!
  • Damn sorry to see that at least you have an excuse to get a new frame now.
    So Far!
  • a.palmer
    a.palmer Posts: 504
    el_cartero wrote:
    hd? maybe its time for full sus

It is a full sus that broke
  • Cat With No Tail

Is your on one a 16 inch??

Neil
    My Bikes And Me
  • No, mines an 18". I'm 6ft and it's spot on for what I use it for.

If I was mainly pointing it downhill, I'd probably have gone for a 16" summer season though.
  • Oh cool i am also 6ft so i will get an 18 inch.

Also where did you get your mud guard from its the first mud guard i have ever seen that actually looks good!

Neil
    My Bikes And Me
  • -liam-
    -liam- Posts: 1,831
    Weird. You got any play in the suspension bushings that may of helped cause that ?
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    I reckon the disc mount and braking forces caused a hairline at the top of the weld, then then landing finished it off.
  • -liam-
    -liam- Posts: 1,831
    supersonic wrote:
    I reckon the disc mount and braking forces caused a hairline at the top of the weld, then then landing finished it off.

Clearly spending to much time on the brakes ;)
  • I reckon SS is right as i have no play on the bushings.

I do spend a fair amount of time on the brakes.

I use them on climbs to make it harder.

And how much you guys reckon i could get for Fox DHX Air 3.0 or it might be a 5/0 actually.

Neil
    My Bikes And Me
  • Alex
    Alex Posts: 2,086
    supersonic wrote:

More likely that it's the first weakest point in the chainstay after the weld finishes on the brake mount. There's going to be quite a lot of twist and shear at that point given the suspension design.
  • n.battison wrote:
    Oh cool i am also 6ft so i will get an 18 inch.

Also where did you get your mud guard from its the first mud guard i have ever seen that actually looks good!

Neil

It's a bender fender from Mucky Nutz.

Great from stopping the spray that gets in your eyes and mouth, whilst still allowing you to get absolutely filthy :D

And an absolute bargain at £7.

http://www.muckynutz.com/index.php?rout ... ry&path=24
  • xtreem
    xtreem Posts: 2,965
    Did you landed sideways?
  • colintrav
    colintrav Posts: 1,074
    n.battison wrote:
    Doing a small jump today no more that 2 ft, i heard a big crack and.......
    17431_397229300300_668010300_10331022_6927385_n.jpg
    Bad news.

A Norco LT 3 frame should definitely not do that.

Oh well its an excuse to get something new.

Neil.

An excellent example of a company that has been bumped or actually selling and using piss poor produced metal for there products ..

IMO you have grounds to sue them for selling a product that could have endangerd your life ..
  • biff55
    biff55 Posts: 1,404
    colintrav wrote:

IMO you have grounds to sue them for selling a product that could have endangerd your life ..

er yeah , back in the real world stuff breaks after prolonged and harsh abuse , and your assuming the frame is still under warranty , and your ignoring the fact that dirt jump type riding is inherently dangerous even if the bike is in perfect condition.
    thats just life , get a grip.
  • colintrav
    ^^^

You fail to forget there has been accidents and deaths caused by structual defects and bad design flaws has happend in the past and recently .

Due to poor choice of material ..
  • delcol
    delcol Posts: 2,848
    how long have you owned the bike what year is it..

norco did recall some frames this year and last year due to them snapping and cracking. not sure which frames, i jut remember being told about it in whistler last year and reading about it...
    contact your local dealer or the importer to were you stand...
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    colintrav wrote:
    ^^^

You fail to forget there has been accidents and deaths caused by structual defects

He fails to forget?
    Uncompromising extremist
  • jay12
    jay12 Posts: 6,306
    delcol wrote:

norco did recall some frames this year and last year due to them snapping and cracking. not sure which frames, i jut remember being told about it in whistler last year and reading about it...
    i heard about that too. tbh colintrav, what your saying is bullsh*t. sometimes company recall their products because there is a batch that had problems.
  • dunnnooo
    dunnnooo Posts: 900
    FAO colintrav; would you care to explain what you would sue for? You can't sue because something 'could' have caused you harm. If you could then I could sue every bike manufacturer there is, as they make bikes that I 'could' ride, and 'could' crash therefore harming myself.
    I'd give my right hand to be ambi-dextrous
  • colintrav
    jay12 wrote:
    delcol wrote:

i heard about that too. tbh colintrav, what your saying is bullsh*t. sometimes company recall their products because there is a batch that had problems.

You have still a lot to learn ...in life

BOAC Comet failed as a passenger jet due to structal defects in the fuselage whilst in operation

DC10 had a history of crashes until it was found that the front cargo door connection was faulty -

A number of cargo ships sink without trace in the South china sea's all crew lost the probelm unknow for a number of years untill one of the last ships remaining was docked in holland under routine maintance ..It was discoverd that the rivets were faulty would snap in cold conditions .. There was also a programme aired in ITV on this very subject

A good few years back GMC or ford was taken to court and lost due to a serious flaw the placement of the fuel tanks that when t hit side on they would explode
  • colintrav wrote:
    jay12 wrote:
    delcol wrote:

BOAC Comet failed as a passenger jet due to structal defects in the fuselage whilst in operation

DC10 had a history of crashes until it was found that the front cargo door connection was faulty -

A number of cargo ships sink without trace in the South china sea's all crew lost the probelm unknow for a number of years untill one of the last ships remaining was docked in holland under routine maintance ..It was discoverd that the rivets were faulty would snap in cold conditions .. There was also a programme aired in ITV on this very subject

A good few years back GMC or ford was taken to court and lost due to a serious flaw the placement of the fuel tanks that when t hit side on they would explode

your point on the first 3 being????? I assume that it is something along the lines of not all companies recall products? Companies are not under any obligation to recall products AFAIK. They do it to save face and to ensure people will still buy from them.
    MmmBop

Go big or go home.
  • BlackSpur
    BlackSpur Posts: 4,228
    colintrav wrote:
    jay12 wrote:
    delcol wrote:

None of that has anything to do with this topic. You are just spouting shite to make yourself appear more intelligent. And failing, miserably, i might add.
    "Melancholy is incompatible with bicycling." ~James E. Starrs
  • Judging by the colour of the frame it's a 2008 bike, so less than 2 years old, it maybe out of warranty but you are still covered in law by the statute of limitations,

It's marketed as a bike that can handle off road use. the frame didn't bend or buckle...it snapped straight through, right at the edge of the welding, that's not right. Did the tyre blow out?....Did the wheel buckle?...The frame should be stronger than the tyre or wheel, so a small claims court case maybe in order...bet they'd settle out of court once they receive the papers. It's not worth them paying to have a defence drawn up and then be represented over a frame worth a few hundred quid.