Garmin 705 - spoke magnet hitting sensor unit

tyskie
tyskie Posts: 252
edited December 2009 in Workshop
Just fitting my new 705 that Santa kindly gave me and can't get any clearance between the magnet that fits on a spoke and the arm on the sensor unit. I've got Campag Neutrons with the asymmetrical rear and I'm guessing this is causing the problem. The only thing I can think of doing is moving the arm on the sensor unit and so it sticks directly upwards.

Anyone else had this problem? Help would be appreciated.

Comments

• GavH
    GavH Posts: 933
    Presumably then it is also a ball-hair away from hitting the spokes?

Pics?
  • redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    Tried moving the sensor away from the wheel, towards the crank and adjusting the arm for the wheel magnet?
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • FCE2007
    FCE2007 Posts: 925
    tyskie wrote:
    ... The only thing I can think of doing is moving the arm on the sensor unit and so it sticks directly upwards ...

That's how I fitted mine.

cadw.jpg

I don't have the patience to faff about :lol:

Edit: Different wheels, I know.
    Powered by Haribo. Zwift convert P.aul Laws [x]
  • redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    I've got my cadence sensor fitted and now realise that at some point I'll have to replace the battery. I presume it is a normal 2032 battery in the cadence sensor?
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • Shezzer
    Shezzer Posts: 229
    FCE2007 wrote:
    tyskie wrote:
    ... The only thing I can think of doing is moving the arm on the sensor unit and so it sticks directly upwards ...

Me too. It works fine.
  • Velonutter
    Velonutter Posts: 2,437
    The arm is designed to be moved back and forward so that the is a gnats hair between the sensor and the line on the arm, takes less than a second to adjust :roll:

Just make sure if you have flex in your rims that you allow for it.
  • tyskie
    Shezzer wrote:
    FCE2007 wrote:
    tyskie wrote:

Me too. It works fine.

Cheers. That's the way I'll have to do it as no other adjustments work.
  • redvee wrote:
    I've got my cadence sensor fitted and now realise that at some point I'll have to replace the battery. I presume it is a normal 2032 battery in the cadence sensor?

Yes it is.
  • Barrie_G
    Barrie_G Posts: 479
    can't you rotate it 180 and fit it under the stay, this will also have the advantage that if it does contact the spokes then it will get knocked out of the way rather than pulled into the wheel.
  • GavH
    GavH Posts: 933
    Barrie_G wrote:
    can't you rotate it 180 and fit it under the stay, this will also have the advantage that if it does contact the spokes then it will get knocked out of the way rather than pulled into the wheel.

I think this will cause the cadence magnet not to pick up. The GSC10 is a combined Cadence and Speed/Distance sensor. The 705 will do speed and distance anyway (from GPS signal), so in reality, why bother having a GSC10 on a road bike if it's not for the cadence feature?
  • Barrie_G
    Barrie_G Posts: 479
    I could be wrong but it looks like you still have enough space on your stay to be able to move the sensor futher towards the bb if that was what was required to still get a pick up from your cadence sensor
  • bristolpete
    bristolpete Posts: 2,255
    I put mine on the opposing spoke. Easy, job done. Took me hours to work it out though.
  • tyskie
    Thanks for the suggestions everyone.

One of the first things I did was to try the opposing spoke - too much of a gap to get a signal.

I'm a bit concerned about having the sensor arm sticking up as it looks more prone to getting broken in that position. I may have to use the GPS for speed/distance if I break it off.
  • Velonutter
    Velonutter Posts: 2,437
    tyskie wrote:
    Thanks for the suggestions everyone.

One of the first things I did was to try the opposing spoke - too much of a gap to get a signal.

I'm a bit concerned about having the sensor arm sticking up as it looks more prone to getting broken in that position. I may have to use the GPS for speed/distance if I break it off.

Stop worrying Mate, it really isn't a worry, I have it on all three of my bikes and it really is reliable, and it won't cause any concerns.

At the end of the day it is no different to any other sensor, they could all get knocked into your spokes.
  • John C.
    John C. Posts: 2,113
    I put mine on the opposing spoke. Easy, job done. Took me hours to work it out though.
    Had the same problem with a speed computer, felt a right **** when told to just put the magnet on the opposite spoke.
    http://www.ripon-loiterers.org.uk/

Fail to prepare, prepare to fail
    Hills are just a matter of pace