Some Quick Ipod Advice Please

seataltea
seataltea Posts: 594
edited December 2009 in The Crudcatcher
Despite swearing never to have one in the house my teenage daughter has twisted my arm to let her have one for a birthday next week.

Being a pushover I have agreed to a 3rd Gen Ipod Touch.

The amount of information on the web has blown my mind but if I'm right....

The 32 and 64 gb versions as well as the increased storage have a faster processor and are more of a match for a PSP and DS for games etc, whereas the 8gb is a tarted up earlier version in a new case ?

I'm thinking the 32gb is vfm purchase of price v storage v spec.

Thanks in anticipation, soon to be skint Dad.
'nulla tenaci invia est via'
FCN4
Boardman HT Pro fully X0'd
CUBE Peleton 2012
Genesis Aether 20 all season commuter

Comments

• Kiblams
    Kiblams Posts: 2,423
    If she hasn't specified a model, you could always get an iPod shuffle and save yourself a small fortune :wink:
  • stumpyjon
    stumpyjon Posts: 4,069
    Depends on what she wants it for. 32 Gb is a hell of a lot of memory for music but if there will be films on there then it's more justifiable. If she wants to play games then something like a DS is more appropriate and will still play music.
    It's easier to ask for forgiveness than for permission.

I've bought a new bike....ouch - result
    Can I buy a new bike?...No - no result
  • GHill
    GHill Posts: 2,402
    The 32 GB model is definitely the sweet spot, 8 GB is a little too easy to fill.

The games I've bought are surprisingly good on the whole, but usually pretty different to the games on a dedicated machine (but much much cheaper).
  • I'm struggling to fill my old 8GB model. Got loads of 2hr podcasts on there and it's hardly touched it. 32GB's is a lot.
  • I've just got an 8gb after swearing id nver get anything ipod related. And i must say i wish id done it sooner. Very easy to use and its a lovely piece of kit.
  • I've got a 16gb one.Its got about 700 songs,5gb of vids and games.
    remember thought that playing games eats battery
    I assume this is French petrol - be careful in reverse - the car will retreat rapidly at the least provocation.
  • BlackSpur
    BlackSpur Posts: 4,228
    I have a 2G 16GB, lovely bit of kit. I'm not quite sure what the new model brings, if anything truly useful at all. You should be able to pick up a new old stock 2G 16 or 32GB model for a fair bit less...
    "Melancholy is incompatible with bicycling." ~James E. Starrs
  • Mastineo
    Mastineo Posts: 182
    iPod Shuffle - great clipped to a gear/brake cable.
    iPod Touch 16GB lovely bit of kit.
    iPhone 3G - vastly overrated.
    MacBook - pretty much foolproof, kids (not that they're fools ) love it.
    MacBook Pro - mine! Great for photo processing away from home plus all the usual laptop duties.
    MacPro - best computer Ive ever used, had it 2+ yrs, never had to reinstall OS, defrag HDDs - (there's 4) 'just works'
    PC1 - AMD Athlon X2 Dual Core 2700 - pretty good, just got to keep on top of 'housekeeping' and making sure antivirus etc. is effective.
    PC2 - AMD Athlon 3200 2TB media server, not connected to internet, does the job.

Bit of an apple fan (did use PC/Windows for about 15 yrs previously) but only because it works so well for us.

Also ride a spesh stumpy (and really do like it) so suffer from lemming mentality as well!!!

Am currently p*ssed so forgive the above ramblings, she wants an iPod, buy her one. Anything other than an iPod and she'll be beat up at school! As above, 32 GB is the sweetspot.
  • colintrav
    colintrav Posts: 1,074
    seataltea wrote:
    Despite swearing never to have one in the house my teenage daughter has twisted my arm to let her have one for a birthday next week.

Being a pushover I have agreed to a 3rd Gen Ipod Touch.

The amount of information on the web has blown my mind but if I'm right....

The 32 and 64 gb versions as well as the increased storage have a faster processor and are more of a match for a PSP and DS for games etc, whereas the 8gb is a tarted up earlier version in a new case ?

I'm thinking the 32gb is vfm purchase of price v storage v spec.

Thanks in anticipation, soon to be skint Dad.

Make sure she ain't Illegally downloading from torrent sites and which you could end up with a hefty bill it's happend to a few people ..
  • i have the 32gb as of the other day, and my younger brother has the 8gb.

although they say the processor in mine is 50% faster, you cant really tell too much. Yes it boots up quite alot faster, but other than that.

id say it depends on how old your daughter is and how she has a love of music really.

you can get plenty of apps, games and music and what not on a 8gb. Iv only really got the 32gb because iv just come from an 80gb ipod classic, and couldnt get down to 10x less stuff.

The difference between the 2 definitely is not worth £80. If you can get away with buyin the 8gb, i definitely would. Like i say, 8gb is plenty for most kids, but i also dont know how old she is and how much music she's likely to listen to.

they both look exactly the same, as nothin was changed in terms of appearance from the 2nd gen to the 3rd. The 8gb being the same apart from the software update and the 32 having a 50% faster processor and mic in the earphones (which as sh*t anyways).

hope i helped
    2009 Genesis core 00
  • pte1643
    pte1643 Posts: 518
    I have an 8gb 2nd gen touch.

As said, personally I didn't think the extra memory was worth the extra wedge, the difference in cost between the models doesn't seem proportionate.

Anyways...

Currently I have 380 songs, 15 Music videos, 6 episodes of Skins series 3, 2 episodes of Fawlty Towers, 9 various "apps" and the movie V for Vendetta on mine.

There's still a bit to play with.

otaylor38 wrote:
    although they say the processor in mine is 50% faster, you cant really tell too much. Yes it boots up quite alot faster, but other than that.

I leave mine on, and let it go into "Stand-by" mode, then wake it up by pressing the button and moving the on-screen slider. I find it uses less battery this way, rather than keep turning On/Off.
  • Graydawg
    Graydawg Posts: 673
    I have a 1gb iPod shuffle (2nd Gen) and swear by it... been through the washing machine twice and still works as sweet as it did when I first got it back in Xmas 06!

Smells like a gentle summers breeze!
    It's been a while...
  • xstrathyx
    xstrathyx Posts: 1,104
    i have the iPod Touch 16gb, Got mine about a year ago now, to be honest i haven't put it down since. the only thing is, i am due for an upgrade on my mobile, and i can see me finally getting an iPhone.

the touch in 16gb size is ample for all my mp3's and videos. Some of the apps are pretty cool also. Strongly recommended piece of kit in my eyes.

Think I will give the missus mine when and if i get an iPhone
  • a.palmer
    a.palmer Posts: 504
    8GB is wayyyyy too easy to fill up. If she's gotta have a touch get the 32gb, but you could save yourself a fair amount going for a classic and give her much more space. I'm thankful for every last bit of my 80gb
  • El Capitano
    El Capitano Posts: 6,401
    iPod advice?

Get the latest Creative Zen...

(not a huge fan of Ipods, Itunes and the associated compatibility problems they've caused)
  • a.palmer
    a.palmer Posts: 504
    I don't understand peoples problems with ipods. Seems like it's just snobbery and wanting to be different than everyone to me. They work well, iTunes is good. They're just very good.
  • Andy
    Andy Posts: 8,207
    A.Palmer wrote:
    I don't understand peoples problems with ipods. Seems like it's just snobbery and wanting to be different than everyone to me.

Stu doesnt need to try, he just IS different to everyone else..
  • El Capitano
    El Capitano Posts: 6,401
    Andy wrote:
    A.Palmer wrote:
    I don't understand peoples problems with ipods. Seems like it's just snobbery and wanting to be different than everyone to me.

Stu doesnt need to try, he just IS different to everyone else..

eurgh.jpg
  • Thanks All

32gb order from Argos for £199 which is a fair deal I'd say (£30 off) glad I waited a few days.

http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/p ... +TOUCH.htm

Much appreciated.
    'nulla tenaci invia est via'
    FCN4
    Boardman HT Pro fully X0'd
    CUBE Peleton 2012
    Genesis Aether 20 all season commuter
  • ahhh.. i so wish you didnt show me that

iv had mine since boxing day, when it was 230

wish i knew it was gonna go down :(

ipods dont usually change in price =/
    2009 Genesis core 00