Garmin Training Centre

sp101
sp101 Posts: 11
Hi,

I treated myself to a Garmin 705 last week and, so far, been very pleased with it. One issue I do have is with the Garmin training centre software that I have downloaded. When I download my rides from the 705 and display them on the map, most of the roads are missing as the built-in map only seems to show main roads. Is there are way of changing the map to use a more detailed map such as the one I use on the device itself..?

Thanks

Simon

Comments

• GavH
    GavH Posts: 933
    sp101 wrote:
    Is there are way of changing the map to use a more detailed map such as the one I use on the device itself..?

Yes, download SportTracks (free) and install the Map Overlay plugin (donation-ware - about £20 for full functionality). It will allow you to select from a range of different maps, all pretty detailed and includes aerial phots if your area is covered (a la Google Earth).

You can do worse than download it and try it.

http://www.zonefivesoftware.com/SportTracks/
  • jibberjim
    jibberjim Posts: 2,810
    sp101 wrote:
    Hi,

I treated myself to a Garmin 705 last week and, so far, been very pleased with it. One issue I do have is with the Garmin training centre software that I have downloaded. When I download my rides from the 705 and display them on the map, most of the roads are missing as the built-in map only seems to show main roads. Is there are way of changing the map to use a more detailed map such as the one I use on the device itself..?

Yes, if you buy the garmin maps, however that's rather expensive simply to have maps when reviewing. A better option is simply to use SportTracks - http://www.zonefivesoftware.com/SportTracks/ which gives you google maps and others for the ride, as well as better analysis options.
    Jibbering Sports Stuff: http://jibbering.com/sports/
  • sp101
    sp101 Posts: 11
    Thanks, I'll give SportTracks a try.
  • chrisw12
    chrisw12 Posts: 1,246
    Um, or you could just save/eport the file and view it in google earth.

Are you guys on commission from sporttracks? :wink:
  • FCE2007
    FCE2007 Posts: 925
    If you want to continue using TC then Download this map, unzip and rename it pc_basemap2.img and paste it into C:\Garmin\PCBSMP2 (or wherever the Garmin TC files are located on your computer).

VERY useful site.
    Powered by Haribo. Zwift convert P.aul Laws [x]
  • Airwave
    Airwave Posts: 483
    Or you could use Garmin Connect for free.It has a detailed map&stats.
  • +1 garmin connect also Rubitrack (if you own a mac)
  • redfox
    redfox Posts: 295
    FCE2007 wrote:
    If you want to continue using TC then Download this map, unzip and rename it pc_basemap2.img and paste it into C:\Garmin\PCBSMP2 (or wherever the Garmin TC files are located on your computer).

This seems like a good idea, but it caused Garmin TC to crash on my computer, so make sure you keep a copy of the original base map if you want to try this.

If your in a determined mood, another option might be to use one of the many OpenStreetMap conversions for Gamin, available for free, from their OSM Map on Garmin Download page. Hacking alternate maps into Garmin software can be a bit of a pain, but it is a worthwhile exercise!

The main problem is a the sheer choice of downloads. I use computerteddy's European map set, its almost as good as Garmin's City navigator maps in most locations and actually better in some areas.
  • a_n_t
    a_n_t Posts: 2,011
    If you get the city navigator maps on CD instead of an SD card you can use them in training centre.
    Manchester wheelers

PB's
    10m 20:21 2014
    25m 53:18 20:13
    50m 1:57:12 2013
    100m Yeah right.
  • Horton
    Horton Posts: 327
    In Training Center, click on View, then use the View in Google Earth (at the bottom). But to be honest, Garmin Connect is far nicer to use.
  • Check out this thread, three guys from america have quit jobs and created this great bit of software which is free - you can sync with Garmin and the maps are Google, doesn't get much better.

http://www.bikeradar.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=12671121
  • FCE2007
    FCE2007 Posts: 925
    Cheers - I'll give it a go.