Advice needed re spring training holiday. Recommendations?

DanEvs
DanEvs Posts: 640
I'm planning on taking a week in the sun to do some riding/training before some big races I have coming up and combining it with a holiday with mrs at the same time if possible. :? Has anyone got any recommendations where we'd be best going and who with?

I'm hoping to go mid-March and I'm currently thinking Fuerteventura (great roads, bad winds) or Gran Canaria.

If I were to book a standard package holiday how would I go about getting my bike shipped out? :?

Comments

• JamesB
    JamesB Posts: 1,184
    Try Vamos cycling???South Spain, Sierra Nevada south side, could probably tailor make rides for you, speak to Gary; I had an excelelnt week in October there, good big climbs (15miles ++) and fab weather; worth a look at !
  • Do what I do, this year I'm going to Cyprus - staying with family, but there are hotels available - taking the bike in bike bag going on easyjet. The cost is £124.98 incl a case and bike. The roads are good and the weather is better than here thats for sure. I've been numerous times and will continue to do so...
  • mrushton
    mrushton Posts: 5,182
    Mid-march? Canary islands (Club LaSanta?),Majorca or Southern Spain. Andalucia is always popular (ciclo costa blanca do rides around there).
    M.Rushton
  • sherer
    sherer Posts: 2,460
    if it's March then Canary Islands will def have good weather but as you say the trouble is the wind. I hate that but will still be in it myself on Lanzarote.

Tenerife is the ones a lot of the pros use so can't go too far wrong with that one. not rode there so no idea of winds are as bad
  • Mallorca but stay in or close to Soller half way along the North coast. Awesome hilly rides but still with the possibility of going South onto the plain. Soller is also a great centre for walking & has the scenic train to connect with Palma. Just have to watch the weather in March, probably end of April safer.
    -- "I am but a spoke in the wheel of life" -- Ghandi
  • DanEvs
    DanEvs Posts: 640
    sherer wrote:
    if it's March then Canary Islands will def have good weather but as you say the trouble is the wind. I hate that but will still be in it myself on Lanzarote.

Tenerife is the ones a lot of the pros use so can't go too far wrong with that one. not rode there so no idea of winds are as bad

Tenerife could be a plan, will probably keep her indoors a bit happier as well. :wink:

Is it just a case of going to Thomas Cook, booking a holiday and letting them know I'm taking a bike? Think I'll give that a try anyway. :?
  • DaSy
    DaSy Posts: 599
    I stayed in Palma, Majorca in September with the missus, and although it wasn't supposed to be a cycling holiday, I still managed 3 out of 6 days on the bike. From Palma you can get up over the Col de Soller, Puig Major and Sa Collabra climbs are all in riding distance.

There is loads to do in Palma, so the missus was always occupied whilst I went out, and was happy to shop on her own for the morning.

I hired a bike from Pro Bike Hire, so it was delivered to my hotel and picked up at the end of my hire period. This makes it a lot less invasive on your other half's holiday, as you aren't dragging a bike case about with you, so don't need a car to transport your stuff etc.

Also rides up to Llucmajor and the Randa monastery, amongst others, are easily accessible from Palma. My missus loved the holiday, and she hates me being out on my bike most of the time, so it was a pretty successful combination in my eyes.
    Complicating matters since 1965
  • sherer
    sherer Posts: 2,460
    DanEvs wrote:
    sherer wrote:

Tenerife could be a plan, will probably keep her indoors a bit happier as well. :wink:

Is it just a case of going to Thomas Cook, booking a holiday and letting them know I'm taking a bike? Think I'll give that a try anyway. :?

yes just make sure you let them know when you book you want to take a bike. Do you already have a bike box ? If not might be an idea to look up the cost of hiring a bike out there to getting a bike box.