Race Around Ireland

RickTChemist
RickTChemist Posts: 90
edited September 2010 in Tour & expedition
Hi peeps

Has anyone on here entered Race Around Ireland for 2010? Would love to hear from you if you have.

I'm part of a team of 4 who will be riding it next year.

Rick

Comments

• not entered myself but i do know of a few local teams that are . a few of them are probably out of their depth too. my club has had a few meetings regarding entering a 4 man team , maybe in 2011. there is a few good videos on youtube of this years event . good quality viewing. Its going to be tougher next year too and it was very hard this year already. lots of sharp steep lung busting hills in the route. enjoy.
  • The event from Joe Barrs perspective was covered on Season Ticket last night on BBC1 Northern Ireland. Not sure if that was a repeat or if a repeat may be shown (you may have free sat and can watch regional programmes) unfortunately its not on iplayer.
    Here''s a short clip
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/other_s ... 399888.stm
    To say Joe Barr looked f**ked at the finish would be an understatement. I'm convinced he didn't know where he was really. I didn't realise it but he rode from approx Mizzen head to finish with a broken foot.
  • The Joe Barr documentary will be repeated tonight (tues 15th) at 10pm on BBC2 Northern Ireland.

Our new look website is also up and running www.racearoundireland.com
  • keebo
    keebo Posts: 44
    FULL show is on the i-player - http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/other_s ... 407980.stm

Totally inspirational guy - CHAPEAU!!
    Keebo,
    Semper in excreta sumus, solum profundum variat!
  • blorg
    blorg Posts: 1,169
    I am signed up as part of a four-man team. I imagine it will be a challenge all right.
  • GavH
    GavH Posts: 933
    This looks like a fantastic event but to say the website is scant is putting it mildly.

How many days is this event scheduled over, what is the breakdown of each stage and more to the point, does the registration fee cover any accomodation charges? I'll assume not, which means this ends up costing a LOT of money. I'm fortunate that living in NI means I don't need to worry about flights or ferries and maybe even the accomodation fr the first night. If anyone is interested, a pint of Guinness currently costs just over 5 Euros in the factory itself and 7 Euros in pubs within the Temple Bar area of Dublin. The place is NOT cheap and the Southern Irish come across to N Ireland in their droves to take advantage of the UKs cheaper prices.

I'd love to do this ride and at 300 EUR it offers far better value than the likes of L'Etape I dare say, but very pricey just the same. :(
  • blorg
    blorg Posts: 1,169
    It's not a stage race, it's ongoing, in a team you will be cycling 24 hours a day. Solo guys probably not much under that (they are the _real_ crazies!)

There is a 2,200km route mapped out and it is up to you to get around that as fast as possible. So how many days depends on how fast you can go.

It's modelled after Race Across America (RAAM) and I believe is a qualifier.

Accommodation and support are up to the riders to organise, as you are constantly moving forward I suspect teams may use camper vans, would be interested to hear what people did last year.
  • GavH
    GavH Posts: 933
    blorg wrote:
    It's not a stage race, it's ongoing, in a team you will be cycling 24 hours a day. Solo guys probably not much under that (they are the _real_ crazies!)

There is a 2,200km route mapped out and it is up to you to get around that as fast as possible. So how many days depends on how fast you can go.

It's modelled after Race Across America (RAAM) and I believe is a qualifier.

Accommodation and support are up to the riders to organise, as you are constantly moving forward I suspect teams may use camper vans, would be interested to hear what people did last year.

Right, that makes more sense, hence them calling it a TT! I won't be doing then!! :lol:
  • GavH wrote:
    This looks like a fantastic event but to say the website is scant is putting it mildly.

Apologies for the content on the website. The new site has been live for a few weeks now but we havent had a chance to upload all the info yet. All of us are doing this in our spare time so i'm sure you understand. Hopefully everything should be sorted in the next few weeks.

Emmet Roche
  • Less than a week to go now until the Race Around Ireland

Getting ready for the event has been pretty full on, contacting potential sponsors, finding crew, sorting out team cars and so on... Training has been the easy part!

Team RPMs (http://www.team-rpms.com) are now pretty much ready. Our aim is to complete the 1350 mile route in less than 72 hrs - fingers crossed! We will be raising money for Clatterbridge Cancer Research along the way.

If you would like to support us then check out www.justgiving.com/team-rpms or check into our website.

Cheers

Rick