3 day ride for basic off road abilities

milfredo
milfredo Posts: 322
edited December 2009 in MTB rides
Hi one and all,

I need some help and was wondering if anyone has any sugestions or even better, has a complete route they've completed....

After completing the coast to coast in May, I am looking for a new challange and would like something a little less challening as I'm completing a ride with my 68 year old farther in law and two brother inlaws and would like to end up at the same place we started from but do it all off road.

Now what I'm looking for a is 3 day loop riding fairly technically basic off road routes (bridleways and fireroads) starting and then ending in the same place but with different overnight stops for two of the nights. Looking to cover between 30-40 miles a day depending on how hard it is. Ideally I'd like this to be in the Peaks but if anyone has any other suggestions then I would be more than happy to hear them.

Your help would be greatly appriciated!

Will

Comments

• Slow1972
    Slow1972 Posts: 362
    Try the Wheelrights book "High peak Trail" it may be a bit long in its full guise (about 165 miles iirc) but if you can cut a section out to bring it down to 120 miles (you could cut out the section that takes you over to macc forest for instance and take a more direct route across Buxton) its decent riding without being overly technical, there's also plenty of places where you can B&B overnight too.

I did it ten years ago but the book must still be kicking around somewhere.

Alternatively, there may be a way of extending your ride from the basic Mary Townley loop (about 48 miles I think) into a 3 day trip
  • Harry182
    Harry182 Posts: 1,169
    The South Downs Way is a fairly basic, 100km long (IIRC) off road ride.
  • mary townley loop. classical original part of the pennine bridleway
    Cotic Soul rider.
  • milfredo
    Cheers guys, I'll look into them all.
  • dave_hill
    dave_hill Posts: 3,877
    mary townley loop. classical original part of the pennine bridleway

+1 for that - it's 47 miles total so easily acheivable in 2 days (although some lunatics have been known to do it in one), plus the riding isn't that difficult. Granted there's some big ups and downs but the surfaces are generally pretty good. I'm sure that some of us would be happy to join you too!
    Give a home to a retired Greyhound. Tia Greyhound Rescue
    Help for Heroes
    JayPic
  • i did it in 10 hours, i'm no lunatic or fitness freak. i met 3 other people that day doing it in one day as well. although if i was traveling to do it, i would take 2 days and enjoy it more.
    Cotic Soul rider.
  • dave_hill
    dave_hill Posts: 3,877
    I really don't know why I bother sometimes...
    Give a home to a retired Greyhound. Tia Greyhound Rescue
    Help for Heroes
    JayPic
  • eh?
    Cotic Soul rider.
  • compo
    compo Posts: 1,370
    C2C?
    Whitehaven/Workington - Sunderland/North Shields
  • milfredo
    Thanks for the help guys, it's got to be at least a three dayer to be comparable to the C2C challage. We were all rather unfit and I was on a Kona Coiler with off road tyres and all our kit. But it was so much of an adventure and the places we ended up staying were memorable to say the least.
    It was Whitehaven to Newcastle (north side of the tyne) and mostly on roads although we did end up halfway up Skiddel carrying our bikes along a cliff in the driving rain and looming darkness to get to our hostel that was not accessable by road... most fun indeed.