workstands

w2darren
w2darren Posts: 51
edited December 2009 in Workshop
i'm looking to buy a new workstand and can't decide between the parktool prs15 or the new parktool prs25 , and why is the new modle cheaper .Or if anyone has good advice on a different make i would be very greatful. i'm willing to spend upto 370 euros. the cheapest site i've seen is chainreaction.com :roll. Thanks Darren from ireland

Comments

• dodgy
    dodgy Posts: 2,890
    I have the PRS-15, it's a top quality piece of kit, until I'd read your post I had no idea there was now a PRS-25 out. The new one doesn't look as sturdy, though it has a smaller 'footprint', if you have plenty of room you won't find the PRS-15 a burden in terms of its footprint (4 legs). I can set mine up on the uneven cobbles outside my garage and get a completely wobble free setup using the little adjusters on the smaller 2 of the 4 legs. I got mine last Christmas and it was significantly cheaper back then, the PRS-15 has shot up in price over the last year. Looks like the PRS-25 is Park's attempt to make a more affordable 'pro level' stand.
    You'd be happy with either I reckon, not sure if the 25 model has the quick release clamp, the 15 has and it's excellent for quickly adjusting to the approximate size needed before nipping up the locking dial.
  • dodgy wrote:
    I have the PRS-15, it's a top quality piece of kit, until I'd read your post I had no idea there was now a PRS-25 out. The new one doesn't look as sturdy, though it has a smaller 'footprint', if you have plenty of room you won't find the PRS-15 a burden in terms of its footprint (4 legs). I can set mine up on the uneven cobbles outside my garage and get a completely wobble free setup using the little adjusters on the smaller 2 of the 4 legs. I got mine last Christmas and it was significantly cheaper back then, the PRS-15 has shot up in price over the last year. Looks like the PRS-25 is Park's attempt to make a more affordable 'pro level' stand.
    You'd be happy with either I reckon, not sure if the 25 model has the quick release clamp, the 15 has and it's excellent for quickly adjusting to the approximate size needed before nipping up the locking dial.
    thanks for your help and advice dodgy
  • Scrumple
    Scrumple Posts: 2,665
    Feedback Sports Pro Elite

(previously named Ultimate) - £170 something at Merlin Cycles now!

Got one and rate it better than the Park ones, which I looked at. The clamp itself sells for £160. Very steady, and well made.
  • mmacavity wrote:

+1
    If you want to spend that sort of money then the Kestrel is the one to go for. It will last a lifetime and is a serious professional bit of kit. I have one and count myself very lucky.
  • Velonutter
    Velonutter Posts: 2,437
    I bought one of these, brilliant value for £60

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... 0495377301
  • Slow n old, I have one of these - deffo a +1 for that...
  • kfinlay
    kfinlay Posts: 763
    +1 but cheaper on Ribble at £50 with free P+P athough I paid £53 when they only gave 15% discount instead of the current 20% - go grab a bragin and rated 10/10 by C+
    Kev

Summer Bike: Colnago C60
    Winter Bike: Vitus Alios
    MTB: 1997 GT Karakorum
  • hopper1
    hopper1 Posts: 4,389
    kfinlay wrote:
    +1 but cheaper on Ribble at £50 with free P+P athough I paid £53 when they only gave 15% discount instead of the current 20% - go grab a bragin and rated 10/10 by C+

I have one, too. Got mine from LBS a couple of years ago.
    Excellent workstand.

Go on, contact Ribble. :wink:
    Start with a budget, finish with a mortgage!
  • e999sam
    e999sam Posts: 426
    I've just got one of these http://www.decathlon.co.uk/EN/ws-100-workstand-3960349/ from Decathlon not used it much yet but it seems to work OK. Good Strong construction and clamping method OK for carbon frames.