First ride on the cheapest frame money can buy...

Kiblams
Kiblams Posts: 2,423
edited January 2010 in MTB general
Well I finally got out on my bike after building up the £55 HandsomeDog XC01 frame, I stuck a Deore drIvetrain, Avid BB5 brakes with a very sturdy rigid Surly fork to finish the build. As I swapped everything from the Pinnacle to the HandsomeDog (except for the seatpost and rear wheel) the comparison was an interesting one.

I must say that I am very pleased, the bike felt so much more responsive, though that could be due to the 700g lighter front tyre :wink: the bike just felt tighter.

One thing is certain, and that is; the rear disk brake (which was the reason for the change of frame in the first place) made a massive difference to the ride, faultless and consistent the whole time, a massive improvement over the V-brake I have been enduring this winter. This alone has more than justified the new frame :D

On the rough stuff it was a little unforgiving but still great fun and easy to keep on top of, the Pinnacle seemed to climb better I think. Probably due to the shorter top tube of the new frame, though the verdict is still out on that one as the conditions were very sketchy today, either icy or very sloppy the whole time.

I am just really chuffed having spent so little and getting such an improvement on my first bike build, I had to share :P

That is all :wink:

Comments

• post some pics :D
    sounds good
    2 Broken fingers broken again... F@$%^£g hell that hurt!!!

92% of teenagers have turned to rap. If your one of the 8% that still listens to real music put this in your sig.
    METAL!!!!!
  • Kiblams
    skullthaw wrote:
    post some pics :D
    sounds good

OK, I have a WIP thread in the mountain bikes section here :D

Realy chuffed and quite proud of the bike :D
  • looking good
    2 Broken fingers broken again... F@$%^£g hell that hurt!!!

92% of teenagers have turned to rap. If your one of the 8% that still listens to real music put this in your sig.
    METAL!!!!!
  • Kiblams
    Finally got out for the second proper ride on the HandsomeDog and I must say it fealt like a completely different bike to the firs ride on it :shock:

Not entirely sure why but the bike just felt right, climbing was faultless and on the downhills the bike was begging for me to lay off the brakes :D (I ride behind my OH to encourage/guide her sobrakes are essential :wink: ) Consdering that FtD conditions were verging on unrideable, it was an absolutely fantastic ride, and i am heads over heals for the HandsomeDog frame :D