what size£

40427 Posts: 119
edited January 2010 in Road beginners
http://www.winstanleysbikes.co.uk/produ ... _Bike_2009
i saw this bike and it seemed to be good price and decent spec but it only comes in a 51cm. i am new to road biking and wonder what this translates to in size. i have a 19 inch mountainbike and am 6ft. i need some help soon and could you recommend any other bikes under 500£ in whatever size you think i need.

Comments

• skyd0g
    skyd0g Posts: 2,540
    This bike would be way too small for you at 6ft I'm afraid. In road bike size, you'd be looking for something in the region of 54 - 56 cm or thereabouts (some six-footers on here will be able to give you a more accurate estimate). :D
    Cycling weakly
    thanks ill probably go for something 55cm.
  • skyd0g
    skyd0g Posts: 2,540
    <edit> I'd wait till some six footers amble along, I think my earlier estimate may still be on the small size, ...poss. more like a 56 - 58 cm frame would be a closer fit.

...like MTB frame sizes, the actual size you need can vary due to different manufacturers geometry, the type of riding you intend to do, your proportions and to some degree personal preference. :D
    Cycling weakly
  • giant_man
    giant_man Posts: 6,878
    40427 wrote:

55cm would be too small for you too man ......
  • Nuggs
    Nuggs Posts: 1,804
    40427 wrote:
    http://www.winstanleysbikes.co.uk/product/21612/Orbea_Enol_Bike_2009
    i saw this bike and it seemed to be good price and decent spec but it only comes in a 51cm. i am new to road biking and wonder what this translates to in size. i have a 19 inch mountainbike and am 6ft. i need some help soon and could you recommend any other bikes under 500£ in whatever size you think i need.
    A poorly fitting road bike will be pure misery. Go and see what sort of deals your LBS is offering - they can make sure you get a machine that fits and will offer invaluable support should it need tweaking etc,
  • soveda
    soveda Posts: 306
    40427 wrote:

55cm would be too small for you too man ......

Not necessarily, go to a bike shop and try some out. I'm 6 foot 1 and ride an 18" MTB (Kona) and a Medium road bike (Giant- M=50 cm compact sloping frame).
  • Headhuunter
    Headhuunter Posts: 6,494
    skyd0g wrote:
    <edit> I'd wait till some six footers amble along, I think my earlier estimate may still be on the small size, ...poss. more like a 56 - 58 cm frame would be a closer fit.

...like MTB frame sizes, the actual size you need can vary due to different manufacturers geometry, the type of riding you intend to do, your proportions and to some degree personal preference. :D

I'm about 6'3" and wouldn't go for anything less than about 58cm but I've got quite a long torso so primarily need a larger size for the extra top tube length. A 6 footer with more average proportions might get away with 55cm or so I suppose, but I doubt you'd want to go for much less than that for the bike to fit properly. Certainly I'd say 51cm is way to tiny.
    Do not write below this line. Office use only.
  • I'm 6ft 5.5" and I have a 61cm frame which is great I concur with an earlier statement that a frame that was too small would be a torture. :wink:
    I don't sleep with my bike really!

002-2.jpgSummer Bike
  • APIII
    APIII Posts: 2,010
    Just to confuse us all, some brands use the seat tube as the frame measurement, whereas others use the top tube. I'm 6ft tall and ride a 55cm which actually has a 55.7cm toptube. And then there's compact framesets. I rode a 52cm Colnago which had a 54.5cm effective top tube length.
  • I'm 5'8 and ride a 56. My dad is 5'11 and rides a 56. Both compact. I'd go get fitted properly rather than tying to guess. I'd always pay out more knowing I'm going to get the service both now and in the future.
    Other option - risk buy a 55/56 and go to your LBS and pay for a fitting.
  • bobtbuilder
    bobtbuilder Posts: 1,537
    I'd go get fitted properly rather than tying to guess.

+1

Two people of the same height could have different limb or torso lengths which would require different sized frames. It's worth the extra time now getting something that fits you properly.
  • skyd0g wrote:

I'm about 6'3" and wouldn't go for anything less than about 58cm but I've got quite a long torso so primarily need a larger size for the extra top tube length. A 6 footer with more average proportions might get away with 55cm or so I suppose, but I doubt you'd want to go for much less than that for the bike to fit properly. Certainly I'd say 51cm is way to tiny.

Im 6'3" also and really struggled with a 61cm frame.. my wrists hurt from the angle to the hoods, but even with the saddle shifted forward, my knee was behind the pedal spindle so I was stretched out and pushing forward on each stroke..... trying a 58cm one with my next bike..

All bodies are slightly different and getting fitted is the best way to make sure you get the right size. Worst ways, ride some different sizes and see how you feel on them!
    exercise.png
  • mattward1979
    mattward1979 Posts: 692
    edited December 2009
    Oops! double post
    exercise.png
  • I'm 6' with long dangly legs 8)

Anyhoo you really need to find out what you're comfortable with. I reckon my size is 56, currently ride a 54 Cannondale and 57 Kuota lol :wink: :arrow:

PS don't trust those online calculatores, was suggesting completely different sizing to what i prefer and find comfortable :)
  • peanut1978
    peanut1978 Posts: 1,031
    6'2" here and currently ride a 60cm with 80mm stem, although could possibly get away wth 58cm frame and 100mm stem
  • AndyOgy
    AndyOgy Posts: 579
    I'm 6ft and I also ride a 19" mountain bike (Rockhopper), which I was properly fitted for in my LBS. I got a road bike (Specialized Allez) from the same LBS and it has a 58cm frame. Both bikes feel absolutely spot on.

If you really want to buy online, then there are better deals around than the one that you've picked out. For example, I found this just now:

http://www.cyclestore.co.uk/productDeta ... ctID=21398

If you were to go for the 58cm frame and it doesn't feel right, then you'll almost certainly be able to fine tune things by adjusting the saddle position or changing the stem.
  • AndyOgy wrote:
    I'm 6ft and I also ride a 19" mountain bike (Rockhopper), which I was properly fitted for in my LBS. I got a road bike (Specialized Allez) from the same LBS and it has a 58cm frame. Both bikes feel absolutely spot on.

Like i said it varies from person to person, i feel rediculous and un-stable on a 58 frame....
  • I'm 6ft and my bike is a 56 frame and appears to fit me ok. Think a 58 would feel like stretching a bit but not tried one to see.

Happy with the 56, when I look at it the frame does look small but it feels ok when riding and I am supposed to be either 56/58.
    i want the bike to be as small as i can get away with as my friend is 6ft1 and rides a 55 but he tried a 58 i think and said it was too uncomftorble.
  • hopper1
    hopper1 Posts: 4,389
    40427 wrote:
    i want the bike to be as small as i can get away with as my friend is 6ft1 and rides a 55 but he tried a 58 i think and said it was too uncomftorble.

Could you not have a shot of your friends bike, to see how that feels?
    It would make life so much simpler! :wink:
    Start with a budget, finish with a mortgage!
    Yeah I will but I'll also try the lbs. Thanx 4 all ur help